[Mod Request] Vassals/Fiefs/Puppet States

Started by nuno3, November 30, 2019, 03:37:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuno3

Instead of attacking settlements just to destroy them and kill everyone inside, I wonder if it would be possible to vassalize them in a way. You could choose to threaten or attack a settlement or pirate camp in order to force them to join your faction. Instead of settling and having control over those in the settlement it would generate silver, food, or some kind of other resources that it would have to drop pod to you as tribute each week/month/year. If you don't exercise power over them regularly, or if you have too many vassals in comparison to your own strength then they can rebel and you must retake control over them again.

Not sure if this is doable, but I thought I would throw it out there.

AcetheSuperVillain

I like the idea.  At the moment, it feels like there isn't a whole lot of reason to attack settlements. 

I'm thinking that maybe this would be tied to some sort of "reputation" stat.  Like if you always brutally slaughter those tribal raids, maybe the tribal faction knows that they don't stand a chance of beating you in a siege and surrenders rather than fight a suicidal battle.  Since the game already tracks "wealth" maybe it could just be wealth based. 

I see potential for a lot of other related events.  Other factions could try to attack and control your vassal settlements, maybe vassals send a request for aid once in a while and they revolt if you don't defend them.  Maybe some settlements voluntarily become vassals in exchange for defense.  Maybe you could buy vassals from friendly factions, (i.e. for 10,000 silver, buy a settlement that produces 1000 silver a year, or 1000 beers a year or 1000 synthread a year or something), or maybe you could exchange vassals in a peace deal with enemies. 

It would be interesting if you could threaten a settlement for a one-time payment too.  Like, hey, gift me 1000 silver worth of goods and I won't attack you.  Actually, it would be interesting if you could bribe raiders like that yourself. 

Could be interesting if a vassal settlement gives you a discount when you shop there.  I've always wanted a way to get back at those filthy traders and their unfair prices. 

Maybe vassal settlements could send slaves as payment.  That would be an interesting way to get new colonists, and it feels like something they'd do in that kind of story. 

AtonicX

It's ALMOST HARVESTING SEASON- I mean, great idea! Would love a way to "democratically" conquer the world. Maybe perhaps you could make it so that each settlement has a relation to you, so if you got one up high enough they could desert your faction, and petition to come under your rule, and in doing so you become responsible for sending aid if they're raided, and/or defending their base if you're nearby.
I've been thinking... (Oh no, it thinks!)

Flimflamshabam

The ability to do more with other factions or bases would be nice, I was thinking of possibly suggesting the ability to create settlements you don't directly control but are effectively part of your faction, they can be asked to send aid or traders without a reputation loss, and can provide other benefits like a small boost to research speed, occasional drop pod gifts because the base is flousihing, etc.