RimWorld 1.1 available on unstable Steam branch

Started by Tynan, February 16, 2020, 09:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MidSpark

QuoteThe terrain requirements for building walls now depends on what they're built from. This means stone walls can't be built on bridges any more.
Any chance we'll get the ability to build stone or metal bridges?

jptrrs

QuoteUI now looks sharp at UI scales over 1.0. Great for 4K monitors.

I loved this one!! Thanks!

jptrrs

I'm confused about something regarding the new folder structure for mods.

The instructions on ModUpdate.txt says:
QuoteVersion 1.0 does not support the load folder system, it will always look for content in the mods root folder. You can make a mod that supports both 1.0 and newer versions by placing all base files(used by all versions) into the root folder, but defining LoadFodlers for newer versions.

But last year's v1.0.2150 update note says:
QuoteVersion-specific content should go in a folder named after the version being targeted. For example, if you make a folder called "1.0/Defs", version 1.0 of the game will load Defs only from that folder, while other versions of the game will load from "/Defs". (Note that if you add a version-specific folder like "1.0/Defs", the default "/Defs" folder will be ignored when playing on 1.0.)

So, if I put 1.0-specific stuff on a "1.0" folder, will it work or will it fail to load on the previous game version?!

Tynan

Thank you for the support everyone :)

Quote from: UltimateTobi on February 17, 2020, 03:43:11 PM
- Sandbags are changed to use textiles. What about existing sandbags? Do we get steel back when we dismantle them?
- Structures on bridges; what if we already have heavier-than-wood structures on bridges? Will they collapse upon load of the save game?
- I don't understand what you mean by "split tribes"; they already are split in Gentle and Rough; like Civil and Rough Outlander Unions.
- "Added a planet population slider to the planet generation parameters." What about already generated planets? Do we get to retroactively adjust our planet and map(s)?
- How do barricades work? Do they provide cover like sandbags or are they to be used to hinder enemies? (NVM; "which are like sandbags", so I assume they work like sandbags, duh.)
- Do bullets now hit their target instead of going somewhere in the ground and hitting their target regardless (because the game calculated a hit, but the visual bullet did miss)? (Since you mentioned many other additions, fixed, improvements and optimizations.)

Man this is a very intriguing update. I'll buy your soundtrack to further support.

Edit: Bought.

-You'll get cloth
-Nothing will happen, you just can't build new ones
-Now there are 3 tribes, gentle, fierce (natural enemy), and savage (permanent enemy like pirates)
-The slider only affects newly generated planets
-Exactly the same as sandbags, but made out of other materials
-Not sure what you mean

Quote from: jptrrs on February 17, 2020, 07:55:32 PM
I'm confused about something regarding the new folder structure for mods.

The instructions on ModUpdate.txt says:
QuoteVersion 1.0 does not support the load folder system, it will always look for content in the mods root folder. You can make a mod that supports both 1.0 and newer versions by placing all base files(used by all versions) into the root folder, but defining LoadFodlers for newer versions.

But last year's v1.0.2150 update note says:
QuoteVersion-specific content should go in a folder named after the version being targeted. For example, if you make a folder called "1.0/Defs", version 1.0 of the game will load Defs only from that folder, while other versions of the game will load from "/Defs". (Note that if you add a version-specific folder like "1.0/Defs", the default "/Defs" folder will be ignored when playing on 1.0.)

So, if I put 1.0-specific stuff on a "1.0" folder, will it work or will it fail to load on the previous game version?!

We miscommunicated a bit. The 1.0 folder will work, but not for textures. The old post is still accurate. We've updated the ModUpdating.txt today, releasing soon.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Andross

Excited with the new update! Really happy to know that the game is still working on. Now a small suggestion i have would be to make the new Quest tab be like the new buttons to the right side. And for last, with these new UI upscaling will you include some options for those like me that like to downscale their UI?

Goldenpotatoes

The little tidbits left in the debug menu got me real excited for potential future content, hopefully those aren't just leftovers from past ideas!

Sixdd

I noticed in the hotfix today that Patches should load properly now but I have a small mod that is only a patch and an About.xml and it still isn't loading. Did anything change with patches loading?

Teleblaster18

It's impossible to get very deep into a new game in a few hours, but here are some thoughts:

-Would it be super-presumptuous to disagree with a few of the tips on the loading screen...namely about not building doors out of stone, and feeding herbivores by letting them graze? 

I build doors out of stone, until uranium becomes available in bulk, regularly and intentionally with the purpose of keeping enemies from easily breaking through to other areas of my base.  I build bases which are heavily compartmentalized, and to allow my colonists freedom of movement to a degree that drop-podding pirates and mechs can't match.  Those extra seconds that granite or limestone doors buy while a mech is pounding against them often makes a difference between my colonists getting to a contained enemy drop pod site, or having to contend with a complete uncontained mess.  Yes, colonists' travel times are extended, but that's the price one pays for increased security - at least until you can afford autodoors, or the stronger and faster-opening materials. 

-In watching tons of streamers play, I feel that one of the most under-utilized resources in the game is hay;  I'd put hay production as at least co-equal with letting animals graze in the wild.  I've often watched players let their animals graze in the wild to have their herd of muffalo strip the area clean of grass and brambles, and begin to starve.  I've watched an equal number either plant fields of dandelions or hay, without hay ever being harvested or coming to it's full potential.  Harvested hay supercharges your ability to raise animals, both used as feed for herbivores and perhaps just as importantly for kibble production.  Perhaps reinforce the potential of harvested hay?

If I could also make one other observation that's really directed more to 1.0 gameplay (but seems to be unchanged in 1.1), and one that I'm hopeful can and will be adjusted:

I've put several thousand more hours into the game since B19/1.0, and I find the relationship mechanic to be uncomfortably immersion-breaking in it's current form - specifically the frequency with which relatives are encountered.

I've regularly encountered raids that had 12 pirate relationships to colonists - often kin, but frequently close relatives.  I believe I understand the purpose of the relationship system and what it's designed to pressure, and I love the nuance that it brings to the game...I just think that the AI uses it in a way that sends it pretty overboard.  Think about it: these are folks that crashlanded on the rim of the known universe.  Is it plausible to have a colonist who's lost 18 family members...family members who all happened to be on the same planet that the colonist ended up on completely at random?  Perhaps dialing down the slider on this aspect of the game, and utilizing a different (but functionally similar) method of pressuring both colonists and players would be in order?

I see it as kind of like salting food: a pinch is almost essential, a little more can add to the dish you're making, but too much spoils the intended effect.

Just my .02.  I'm still playing this game as much as I ever was, with no intent of slowing down.  A continued thanks for making such an incredible game!

Tynan

Thanks for the ongoing feedback :) Since final release of 1.1 is soon we won't be changing anything that's not clearly broken; now is a time for stabilization and a stable release is more important than adding a few grains of extra value to the pile. That said, all this is good general feedback for long-term.

Quote from: Sixdd on February 17, 2020, 11:35:24 PM
I noticed in the hotfix today that Patches should load properly now but I have a small mod that is only a patch and an About.xml and it still isn't loading. Did anything change with patches loading?

It would be great if you could say more about exactly what is happening so we can reproduce the issue and/or post the mod itself. Posting in the Bugs forum would also be great. Thanks.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

UltimateTobi

Quote from: Tynan on February 17, 2020, 08:36:27 PM
Thank you for the support everyone :)

Quote from: UltimateTobi on February 17, 2020, 03:43:11 PM
- Sandbags are changed to use textiles. What about existing sandbags? Do we get steel back when we dismantle them?
- Structures on bridges; what if we already have heavier-than-wood structures on bridges? Will they collapse upon load of the save game?
- I don't understand what you mean by "split tribes"; they already are split in Gentle and Rough; like Civil and Rough Outlander Unions.
- "Added a planet population slider to the planet generation parameters." What about already generated planets? Do we get to retroactively adjust our planet and map(s)?
- How do barricades work? Do they provide cover like sandbags or are they to be used to hinder enemies? (NVM; "which are like sandbags", so I assume they work like sandbags, duh.)
- Do bullets now hit their target instead of going somewhere in the ground and hitting their target regardless (because the game calculated a hit, but the visual bullet did miss)? (Since you mentioned many other additions, fixed, improvements and optimizations.)

Man this is a very intriguing update. I'll buy your soundtrack to further support.

Edit: Bought.
-Not sure what you mean
What I mean is that sometimes/oftentimes(?) a fired bullet visually misses the target, but the game calculates a hit. It's not a big deal but it sometimes feels wonky. Thinking your guy or their guy makes it out dodging bullets, but getting hit regardless.

Thank you for your reply!
Your generic Steam user.

Bones

Quote from: Sixdd on February 17, 2020, 11:35:24 PM
Quote from: Tynan on February 18, 2020, 03:39:55 AM
It would be great if you could say more about exactly what is happening so we can reproduce the issue and/or post the mod itself. Posting in the Bugs forum would also be great. Thanks.

Not sure about his case but I got a very small mod I made with just some patches, if I open 1.1 on dev mode the log says nothing was loaded, but in my case the mod does work, I checked the source code of 1.1 and it seems patches are accounted for when checking if it empty so I didn't look further but probably being left on the root folder might not have counted as something that loaded.

EDIT: Tested making a 1.1 folder like brainnz instructed and coyping the patches folder there too, but still have the same error

Mod Colorblind Minerals did not load any content. Following load folders were used:
  - D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods\ColorblindMinerals\v1.1
  - D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RimWorld\Mods\ColorblindMinerals

XeoNovaDan

Very, very quick question: will the rest of the icons along the bottom be completed for 1.1? Seems a bit odd to have a mix of icons for the history, faction and pause menus, and then the rest is  still text

Paradies

I got the same problem with mods, which contains only the "About" and "Patch" folder. I had to do a texture folder with an unused image in it, to get rid of this red message. Despite the red message, everything seems to work. But nobody likes red pup ups  :)

jptrrs

QuoteWe miscommunicated a bit. The 1.0 folder will work, but not for textures. The old post is still accurate. We've updated the ModUpdating.txt today, releasing soon.

- Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying!
It goes to show how much you care for the game community. I can only applaud!

NeverPire

I am really glad to know that this game is still going to be improved.

French translators on duty !
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.