Please bring back camelhair!

Started by 82ab53e4, March 05, 2020, 03:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

82ab53e4

It was the only kind of wool that was strong at heat insulating, which was great for extremely hot (+80C) desert colonies. And just good for extreme desert colonies. And now breeding dromedaries for camelhair is no longer a valid option, while update added two new kind of cold insulating wool.
I know that you wanted to make animals produce only one resource, so can you switch dromedaries to produce camelhair again instead of milk? Another suggestion is to switch alpaca wool to be heat insulating, because it always was weird to have hot region animal that produces cold insulating wool.

Boboid

I don't recall what the old camelhair insulation value was(I think it was 26) but camelhide is currently +24C, which is as good as devilstrand and only 2 worse than Hyperweave.

The material effect multipliers for heat are -
Cowboy hats: 50%
Shirts: 10%
Pants: 8%
Dusters: 85%
Tribalwear: 55%

Sooo assuming all Normal quality and assuming tribalwear (Because for some reason it's better than shirt/pants) made out of camelhair that's.. +45.6C? Default range for pawns is 16-26 so that gets you up to 71.6C.

You just have to breed and kill your camels instead of shearing them (Though they grew wool quite slowly before so this might even be faster :P)
Or you can use devilstrand which comes with the added advantage of having some passable armor attached to it.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Breadbox

The so-called animal rebalancing is so utterly unnecessary, detrimental and unfun.

82ab53e4

Boboid, maybe dromedaries can just produce more camelhair now considering that they no longer produce two resources.
Devilstrand is great to have when you have soil and temperatures below 60C, and there can be issues with that.
Anyway, i just want my option back :D.

zizard

Camelhide, but what are they hiding from?

Boboid

They're hiding from my colonists - who want to kill them for their heat resistant skin.

They better start burying themselves up to the humps to disguise themselves as sand dunes.
'Cause I'm gonna wear their skin!
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Idara

The removal of camelhair from the game is the single most annoying change from the recent iterations. I play half the time on Tundra maps, and the other half on extreme desert maps. Trying to get any textile with which to make the necessary protective cowboy hats and dusters for deserts when any animals are scarce (3 iguana in one year = one cowboy hat!) is seriously un-fun. I always used to enjoy building up a little herd of dromedary in very hot climes, producing much needed protein (milk) and essential camelhair for clothing. Now, like most of the other animals, dromedary are no longer worth the scarce resources it takes to keep them fed. Seriously disappointing.

Ukas

Quote from: Breadbox on March 05, 2020, 04:39:23 AM
The so-called animal rebalancing is so utterly unnecessary, detrimental and unfun.

This is so true! I am always missing things like how cool colors different furs and skins had or how great chicken farming was in contrast to what it is now.

LWM

I really liked that animals produced two things.  I think they didn't want to make muffalos too good?  But seriously - there's a reason we raise sheep instead of zebras.  Some animals are just more useful than others!

Anyway. Has no one added it back in as a mod?