How to use mortal?

Started by WMP, August 01, 2014, 02:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WMP

I have build mortar on this way: . Why this mortals can't shot? I can't shot force and automatic.

HatesYourFace

You do know you have to have colonists man the mortars to use them? Other than that it looks fine, The sun is shining through so there is no roof I assume.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

WMP

Hmmm, how to assign man to using mortars?

Haplo

Mortars need to be manned to be used.
So, select a colonist, draft him, right click the mortar and select man mortar.
When he is there, it can fire and you can manually target now.

Crazytown1

do you have to manually target every shoot or does the colonist just work away and fire it at the enemy if you leave him to it?

HatesYourFace

Quote from: Crazytown1 on September 13, 2014, 07:32:27 AM
do you have to manually target every shoot or does the colonist just work away and fire it at the enemy if you leave him to it?

You can manually target each shot, but no you don't have to. The colonist will continue to fire the Mortar (Assuming he has a target) until you take him off mortar duty.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

Crazytown1

RemingtonRyder

Mortars tend to work best if the target isn't moving, because they're quite inaccurate to start with, and because apparently nobody has heard of leading the target - in other words firing where they will be by the time the projectile lands.

Mystic

Quote from: marvinkosh on September 13, 2014, 10:53:09 PM
Mortars tend to work best if the target isn't moving, because they're quite inaccurate to start with, and because apparently nobody has heard of leading the target - in other words firing where they will be by the time the projectile lands.

Yeah, that last part bugs me. I really wish that any square on the map could be targeted by a mortar, rather than requiring an actual enemy pawn to be the target. That would be more in line with how mortars are used in the real world, too - they certainly aren't targeted on individuals.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: Mystic on September 14, 2014, 06:01:38 AM

Yeah, that last part bugs me. I really wish that any square on the map could be targeted by a mortar, rather than requiring an actual enemy pawn to be the target. That would be more in line with how mortars are used in the real world, too - they certainly aren't targeted on individuals.

You can

Goo Poni

Man the mortar and then select the mortar and you can forcefire on pawns, tiles or other entities like ship parts. They'll still be ridiculously inaccurate, but you can shell specific areas.

Mystic

Quote from: Goo Poni on September 14, 2014, 10:07:01 AM

Man the mortar and then select the mortar and you can forcefire on pawns, tiles or other entities like ship parts. They'll still be ridiculously inaccurate, but you can shell specific areas.

Hmm. I haven't been able to get that to work so far. I'll have to try again. Thanks!

EarthyTurtle

Now the big question is, which type of mortar do you like using the most of?

I actually enjoy using the EMP mortar for most tasks. It's large AoE is most effective at scaring large groups away. I always find a use for Incendiary and Standard Mortars though.

Mystic

Quote from: TinnedEpic on September 15, 2014, 07:45:35 AM
Now the big question is, which type of mortar do you like using the most of?

I actually enjoy using the EMP mortar for most tasks. It's large AoE is most effective at scaring large groups away. I always find a use for Incendiary and Standard Mortars though.

I've never used the EMP mortar.  I have assumed it is only effective against mechs and possibly the top couple of pirate weaponry types (R4 charge rifle). How could EMP possibly affect the bows and stones of tribesmen?  Or even an M-16?

abelsavard

EMP mortars do two important things first they stun mechoids which very important with the larger raids and finally they can stun/lockdown enemy mortars which could be very useful if you can't immedietally raid an enemy seige camp