Can someone post an effective killbox?

Started by Alenerel, March 28, 2020, 07:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alenerel

One that can stand 5000 points raids... Idk how to improve mine, or how much distance should i put the big turrets apart, if stack them close to get more, cause If I separate them for when they explode, id have to separate them a lot and have fewer.

I bet there are some hardcore RW players that have ultra effective killboxes... Share them, please.

Mine is this one:
https://i.snipboard.io/pf8JOq.jpg

Its not finished. I tested it in dev mode and it kinda works, but I dont think its effective enough for the cost it has, and the huge maintenance it has.

Honestly, since I hit a wall with raids, Im demotivated to keep playing. If I get richer I just cant defend, I am near my limit with that killbox.

Barely cant defend against sappers and definitely cant stand against bugs, the killbox is totally ineffective, and the most effective tactic that has served me very well which is blocking a 1 tile corridor with 3 melee guys and 4 ranged behind them, this just doenst work against that MANY bugs that spawned just away of the killbox, which was the best place they could spawn, even.

Ilya

I don't feel confident enough with killboxes to answer this, but I feel like I need to point out that leaving vanometric power cells in the open like that is a bad idea. Those are precious and fragile.

Alenerel

Its not in the open, its inside the walls of the base. See the killbox orientation.

UlysseG

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/576208098

Disnof trying his hardest to win. He only activates turrets if "shit hits the fan" as he says. I will post my killbox later. Major flaw of disnof's killbox, imo, is lack of AOE weapon damage (i get it from miniguns).
Reliable killbox cant use turrets, imo. Also, walls give more cover than other protections.

fritzgryphon

Not a big killbox user, but some thoughts.

-Use more than one entrance to the killbox, and trap each with an incendiary IED and wooden stools.  Every time they try an entrance it'll be blocked by fire.  Some will walk through the fire, getting lit, and others will path to the other entrances.  Make sure the IEDs are far enough apart they don't set each other off.  Good for humans and bugs.  For mechanoids I'd wall up all but one entrance and swap out the IEDs for EMPs if there is time.

-Use chunks to predictably funnel enemies onto traps.  If you leave a gap in a row of chunks, the AI will usually take that path.  Also, use chunks to funnel enemies to the center of the corridor. 

Quote-Also, walls give more cover than other protections.
Peeking out from a wall can give up to 75% cover depending on angle.  Not sure if adding a sandbag improves it, but it can't hurt.

A naive attempt:  https://i.imgur.com/ZwPzsPu.png   The first set of doors would be for EMP grenadiers in case of mechanoids.

Alenerel

No offense but I dont see that killbox being able to deal with 30 mechanoids or 60 pirates... As I said, I was looking more for an end game killbox.

Alenerel

So I was having trouble with a mechanoid attack, I tried several times at unacceptable losses... So I decided to wait. A royal collector appared and decided they would do the trick. Lured the mechs but they started complaining about friendly fire, so i turned out the turrets and stoped all my 3 colonists from firing except the emp grenade dude... Those 2 chain shotguns and 2 melee dudes almost beat the entire raid by themselves...

One of the things I thought about a killbox was to maybe make a short range one, with everyone chain shotguns since it does massive damage, but I didnt try... Its an interesting idea.

This is the ongoing raid. A couple of mechs were killed by turrets but thats it, there are 16 mechs dead and 4 alive.
https://i.snipboard.io/J1mFtb.jpg

BTW I also try to make a small corridor-triangle oberture cause turrets have shitty accuracy and was thinking about enemies sharing the incoming bullets. This is, even if a turret misses, it can still hit other enemies. I think this is essential to make a killbox work right now.

LakeWobegon

You should not use chunks on a kill zone area as that gives a huge defensive bonus to the attackers. You dont even want any vegetation (since some provide light cover)  let alone chunks.

Alenerel

Quote from: LakeWobegon on March 30, 2020, 01:39:14 AM
You should not use chunks on a kill zone area as that gives a huge defensive bonus to the attackers. You dont even want any vegetation (since some provide light cover)  let alone chunks.

Its true, but they also offer another mechanic which is way more important than cover, which is that raiders WILL take it as cover and STOP advancing. Do the same killbox and take out all the chunks and all of the 40 raiders will rush the turrets, scattering around the killbox. Having the chunks like that slows them and make them stop advancing.

Thats why I use chunks and not sandbags, cause chunks give 35% cover. Giving them sandbags would be the worst case scenario. Ideally you want to use stools or animal sleeping spots taht give 20% cover, but they get destroyed easily and have to constantly rebuild them.

Bozobub

That killbox is missing traps/IEDs.  One reason to use stools to slow down enemies, btw, is that they burn.
Thanks, belgord!

Ark

Quote from: Alenerel on March 30, 2020, 02:32:58 AM
chunks give 35% cover
In 1.1.2579 chunks give 50% cover. Sandbags and barricades 57%.
Columns give 25% cover and can support a roof to crush your enemies.

LakeWobegon

Quote from: Alenerel on March 30, 2020, 02:32:58 AM
Its true, but they also offer another mechanic which is way more important than cover, which is that raiders WILL take it as cover and STOP advancing. Do the same killbox and take out all the chunks and all of the 40 raiders will rush the turrets, scattering around the killbox. Having the chunks like that slows them and make them stop advancing.

Thats why I use chunks and not sandbags, cause chunks give 35% cover. Giving them sandbags would be the worst case scenario. Ideally you want to use stools or animal sleeping spots taht give 20% cover, but they get destroyed easily and have to constantly rebuild them.
The only thing you are doing by giving them the chunks is to provide them with cover that is almost as good as yours.  The only raiders that are a real threath to turrets in a well designed killing area are the melee ones. Those dont stop at the chunks. they keep going.  Unless you really know what you are doing (...) by providing chunks as cover to your enemy you are literally shooting yourself in the foot. Remove all the cover and add more firepower in order to kill faster that is what I would do.

UlysseG

explanation : assault rifle and  minigun can hit to the fartest tile. minigun is here for aoe damage. Charged rifle can hit to one tiler before the fartest tile.
the emp grenadier will always hit the fartest tiles because he has a good angle and emp grenades dont bounce on walls, they go above them.
I did 5 k point raid but was easy they didnt touch me, i ve met up to 30 centipedes so far, no scratch unless if they port inside my base (like kitchen), (no death tho). randy difficulty = the one before merciless.
my miniguns are legendary (150% precision, armor penetration, dmg see https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Weapons
other weapon are masterwork, i got 2 assault rifle legendary i think. masterwork is enough tbh  (125% precision, dmg, armor penetration).
Its important to get at least masterwork weapons, the buff is huge. I use a pawn with tortured artist and either : 2x passion smith, 1X passion smith and great memory, 1x  passion smith and fast learner (u gotta get to lvl 20 craft, fairly easy with time). I install the DLC learning thing (gets 20% bonus, but its not necessary). I get him to yellow mood by recreation starve,i give him 1 psychich amplifier he never uses psycast tho. II do this so that if he gets murderous rage or painful other freakout, i emp grenade him and he is out.
miniguns owner must be where shown in picture cause ucan shoot above shoulder of mate up to 2 tiles. if you place them further behind (where assault rifles are) they ll destroy ur front walls.
they shuldnt be in front because they ll have too big shoot area and if some melee guy guys on a side, aminigun shooting 1 guy is bad, they must always target the center point where ennemies first appear so that u use their aoe damage. I get 75% cover from my walls. barricades arent really useful. when ennemies first appear baricades only help the melee guys on the doors, if ennemy shhoter goes to side, his shoot angle change and my pawn will get cover from wall + barricades.
i have firefoam behind walls for centipedes with fire missiles and made a ground that has 0% flammability around fighting areas cause fire sdhould be avoided as much as possible.
Trigger happy trait with empgrenade, avoid this trait otherwise. careful shooter is good.
shooter with at least 1 passion, i  chose these pawns with 2x passion shooter or 1x passion + fast learner or 1x passion + great memory, they get around 18 skilled shoot.
Melee pawns, 1x passions is ok, 2x s better but what u rly want is tough trait for melee.
after 5 k raid :

i got 600 k wealth, mostly unused wealth (25k silver, 1.5 k gold,  unused items etc).

Covers:

Depends on shoot angle ( kowork is the shooter)
wall only :
https://i.imgur.com/MuRQTdR.png
barricade only :
https://i.imgur.com/ZBiC5QU.png
wall + barricade :
https://i.imgur.com/myyLWi5.png

5k mecanoids, seems weird that we cant summon more than 5 k ? i ve never used develoment mod but i have had raids easily 3 times this size in this game. Anyway i did not use berserk pulse in order to make it interesting (used couple blinds and skips). all pawn untouched except one 95% hp.
In case you want to avoid having to manually set ur pawn i use the mod defensive positions, so you set positions once and after that it's always just 1 click, you can set 4 different position for each pawn (mecanoid, manhunt, human raid etc..) and ucan even register squads of pawns.

fritzgryphon

Quote from: Alenerel on March 30, 2020, 12:30:04 AM
No offense but I dont see that killbox being able to deal with 30 mechanoids or 60 pirates... As I said, I was looking more for an end game killbox.

Meh, make it bigger.  Point is, use walls for cover, and pathing exploits/fire traps should stop any humanoids from getting anywhere near your line.

Alenerel

When there are 50 tribals and only 4 colonists with gns and 4 with melee I dont think that having them shooting matters much, thats why I think that turrets are essential.

About the killbox that is posted, it seems very interesting, but requires a large number of pawns. I have 8 and I already Im losing track of them, I dislike having more...