Is this game suppossed to be taken seriously?

Started by LakeWobegon, April 10, 2020, 07:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LakeWobegon

Or is it supposed to be a joke? I mean I just had a doctor with 110% (surgery sucess chance) on a bed with 130% SCC  fail giving the patient brain damage. The surgery was being done to a kidney. How on earth can an experient doctor scar a brain when doing surgery to a kidney? Why bother with trying to simulate a bunch of things when most of the game is completely devoid of any palusability. Why bother with bringing Cathaphrat Helmets/armor into the game if (medieval) arrows can regularly pierce them and one shot someone. Like seriously, why bother if the RNG rules supreme turning the game into a joke.

Bozobub

Welcome to the Rim!

You should probably note your simultaneous usage of "game" and "to be taken seriously" ;D .  No, it's NOT supposed to be a super-fine-grained sim of realistic pawns.  Yes, RNGeebus (and good evasion) will also occasionally turn a single extremely upset squirrel into the doom of your entire colony; that's the way the cookie bounces.
Thanks, belgord!

Alenerel

i dont understand what went wrong... maybe the doctor had some problem?

B@R5uk

No, there are just always a chance of failure and a chance to catastrophic failure. You should always save game before doing surgery if you don't want to loose precious body part or even a pawn.

zizard

It's a meme generator. The purpose is for you to share the ridiculous things as free advertising.

jack1793

There's no matter how seriously you take a game – still, it's a game. I think Rimworld is pretty serious game and it requires some thinking to survive. However, I keep finding very minor bugs here and there. Your case may be another bug, which now is known to devs too.
As a long-time player of Rimworld, I still keep comming back to this game.
Guides and tips for beginners - https://www.rimworldguide.com/

fritzgryphon

If the wiki is still current, there is a minimum 2% chance for any surgery to fail, regardless of conditions.

Surgery failures can be "minor", "catastrophic" or "ridiculous".  Ridiculous failures can damage parts of the body not related to the surgery.

edit:  and small random chance for patient to die on surgery failure.

Prologue

Bruh, I got rekt in my first 1.1 playthrough because I left a door open in my outer wall while a raid spawned just after a siege. If you don't like the chance of failure for stupid reasons, don't play this game xD

Shurp

The correct answer is, "No, you're not supposed to take this game seriously".  There are large scale intentional deviations from anything rational and reasonable all over the place.  Laughing at the game is a large part of the point of Rimworld.

Once you've learned that lesson, the game can be a lot of fun :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Serenity

That was always super annoying. I once had a guy cut off his daughter's head during a heart surgery. I don't mind botched surgeries, but they should affect body parts that are being operated on.

There is a mod to fix some of this:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2018250654
You only get ridiculous failures when the surgeon is impaired and it makes outcomes in general mostly skill based