More Mechanoids?

Started by Zeta Omega, August 06, 2014, 05:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think should be added as a new mechanoid? (or which is scariest?)

Spider: Fast moving melee unit. (SUGGESTED BY: Garen)
8 (21.6%)
Defender: Heavily armored units that use shields to defend weaker allies.
2 (5.4%)
Siren: Fragile mechanoid unit that stuns/slows anything in range.
5 (13.5%)
Sieger: Slow, heavily armored and armed mechanoid with mortar style ranged attack.
3 (8.1%)
Overseer: Mechanoid with shield and ability to repair downed allies.
7 (18.9%)
Suicider: Fast, hard to hit, explosion radius with possible shrapnel.
3 (8.1%)
A tiered system to mechanoids (Old/broken < New/Advanced)
9 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 37

killer117

A while back i gave ideas for the mire mechanoids mod. They didnt get implemented but the creatir like the concept. The idea was, what happens when a mechanoid gets stuck in the same situation as our colonists. Theyre stranded on a planet, cut off from the hive mind, with only thier prime directive of human genicide and some minor self preservation policies. Now fast foreward a few hundered years. The mechanoids not looking so good. Its been attacked by wildlife and locals, and on its gotten beat up over the years. With a brain far more complex than that of a human, it would have by this point learned to survive in its surroundings.

Im not saying its developed a human mind and personality, but its gained more than a regular mechanoid. Its gained more slef preservation awareness, and has a local memory of the area, and how to survive in it, where is dangerous, and what. It might have developed instincts to help it survive the hostile enviroment. But its also taken damage. Its been shot, beat up, torn apart, and smashed fairly badly. Now with no access to the advanced technology and resources that created this machine, it cant repair itself fully. But it can use what it has at hand, and with a basic understanding of its own physiolagy, its gone on to make rudimentry repairs. Now lets say it was built with an advanced pasteel alloy, the closest and most avalable matirial it could salvage would be steel, although some may find some pure plasteel.

Now basically patched up and with its new found survival instincts, the mechanoid must find a way to fight, a weapon to use to attain its prime directive. Human genocide. Now some may have thier origional lancers, cannons and miniguns. But most would have lost them to disrepair or damage over the years. Now it must find a new weapon. Sythers could fashion themselves semi-effective new arm blades from steel or plasteel, while centipedes could make themselves a huge rudimentry ram, or body spikes. They could also attack the local population and take thier weapons, equiping m16's, pistols, survival rifles, or even basics like swords and bows.

Now a walking pile of scrap with basic weapons, the mechanoids will be strongest in larder groups. But with no way to link them all via a hive mind. But with thier developed animal instincets they could work out a pack mentality, with the strongest or wisest/oldest the leader. While new mechanoids might join the groups with only minor damage, they wont attain the leadership role as others would have far more advanced instincts in how to be leader and fight and lead the mechanoid tribe. Becoming a survival tribe, they find survival is everything. So if a mechanoid falls in combat he would be carted off and used as spare parts, in order of others to become stronger. They might even
Battle "pure" mechanoids for thier advanced weapons and top of the line parts.

In the end they might not even be regognisable as the mechoids they began as, but are still a powerfull fighting force, using far more tactics and skill to attack enimies. One day they could even overcome thier prime directive, thus breaking into the begining stages of sentiency. They could become a community, where they farm to make biofuel in order to run with bodies, thier origional reactors long since out of action. They may even welcome interation from human settlements around the globe, as they steadily became a propspering town.

My idea was having such mechanoids at such different stages implemented in the game, adding a whole variety of mechanoids into the game, including the possibility of friendly ones. I thought itd just cool having them running around, and a cool expansion to the story. 
Whats Rimworld without a little cannabilism/ murder/ maniacs/ crazy tribes/ nasty pirates/ nutcase animals/ genocidal robots etc.

Loki88

How about a wasp type mechanoid? It is called the mechanoid hive after all. I'd imagine it to be a harraser type that's fast but weak with something like a plasma pistol for a weapon. They would need to come in groups of 3+ in order to be effective though.

Something like so?

Except with red bits instead of blue and a plasma pistol in place of the stinger

Zeta Omega

Quote from: killer117 on October 14, 2015, 09:40:35 AM

So a tiered system of mechanoids, say like ancient out of date ones up to something like glitterworld tech ones. I like that Idea

Zeta Omega

Quote from: Loki88 on October 14, 2015, 10:53:02 AM
How about a wasp type mechanoid? It is called the mechanoid hive after all. I'd imagine it to be a harraser type that's fast but weak with something like a plasma pistol for a weapon. They would need to come in groups of 3+ in order to be effective though.

Something like so?

Except with red bits instead of blue and a plasma pistol in place of the stinger
Hmm interesting, personally I would have gone for chemical warfare over the standerd weapons for this one, think about it for a sec, possible if they sting you you could get infected or it could be like wasps from code lyoko ((Points if you know what im talking about)) that sprays an acid like substance that hurts colonists if they get hit or walk on it. Still cool Idea

Wex

Quote from: Loki88 on October 14, 2015, 10:53:02 AM

Something like so?

They couls carry an electrolaser pistol, so to give a motive about electrical resistence of clothing.
This is an electrolaser: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolaser
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Zeta Omega

They couls carry an electrolaser pistol, so to give a motive about electrical resistence of clothing.
This is an electrolaser: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolaser
[/quote]
So an OP and more dangerous version of a tazer? good idea, they could then melee the stunned targets O_O

quxzcover

How about a Event mech that creates 3 types of mechs:

1) A range units that comes in numbers but isnt very powerful
2) A melee mech that has almost no health but comes in swarms like zerglings and banelings and some explode
3) a worker that terraforms the land hence the need for terrafroming tech (I hope this is added).

This event mech would rapidly spawn all 3 of these until dead. the harder difficulty the more of them there are. could probably easily be dealt with with crowd control weapons since the spawns should have almsot no health but come in numbers.

Zeta Omega

Quote from: quxzcover on October 18, 2015, 07:37:24 PM

2) A melee mech that has almost no health but comes in swarms like zerglings and banelings and some explode
3) a worker that terraforms the land hence the need for terrafroming tech (I hope this is added).

This event mech would rapidly spawn all 3 of these until dead. the harder difficulty the more of them there are. could probably easily be dealt with with crowd control weapons since the spawns should have almsot no health but come in numbers.
So...Like a crashed ship part, BUT is a living moving mechanoid? also how would the terraforming one work?

Wex

Quote from: Zeta Omega on October 18, 2015, 06:01:15 PM
So an OP and more dangerous version of a tazer? good idea, they could then melee the stunned targets O_O
Yes, the cach is, they are as fast as a colonist, with tortoise armor, and can get down by a single hit. Awful to kill exept with high rate of fire.
I guess they would quickly become a nightmare.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Zeta Omega

Quote from: Wex on October 19, 2015, 12:53:14 PM
Quote from: Zeta Omega on October 18, 2015, 06:01:15 PM
Yes, the cach is, they are as fast as a colonist, with tortoise armor, and can get down by a single hit. Awful to kill exept with high rate of fire.
I guess they would quickly become a nightmare.
Hmm....Seeing as how it would be a smaller model I would expect lower damage but swarms of them

quxzcover

Quote from: Zeta Omega on October 18, 2015, 08:18:10 PM
Quote from: quxzcover on October 18, 2015, 07:37:24 PM

So...Like a crashed ship part, BUT is a living moving mechanoid? also how would the terraforming one work?

It would be kinda like that ya except it would spawn tiny robots constantly. The workers would kind of act like resource gatheres for it yet they would hold no part in that and instead turn you nice grass tiles or whatever into desert tiles. It would bring the need for a well needed terraforming tech because dont you just hate those few pieces of marsh in the middle of your base?

REMworlder

QuoteSo a tiered system of mechanoids, say like ancient out of date ones up to something like glitterworld tech ones. I like that Idea

That's actually pretty cool, the idea of old stranded mechanoids roving around. Maybe they could even be hostile to newer mechanoids. They could bring some much-needed diversity and depth to mechanoids.

Zeta Omega

Quote from: REMworlder on October 21, 2015, 01:35:05 PM
QuoteSo a tiered system of mechanoids, say like ancient out of date ones up to something like glitterworld tech ones. I like that Idea

That's actually pretty cool, the idea of old stranded mechanoids roving around. Maybe they could even be hostile to newer mechanoids. They could bring some much-needed diversity and depth to mechanoids.
Maybe some could have old rusted designs and already have damage to certain parts

Zeta Omega

It would be kinda like that ya except it would spawn tiny robots constantly. The workers would kind of act like resource gatheres for it yet they would hold no part in that and instead turn you nice grass tiles or whatever into desert tiles. It would bring the need for a well needed terraforming tech because dont you just hate those few pieces of marsh in the middle of your base?
[/quote]
Hmm I get you, and yeah...mud in your base.....so annoying....need to add a remove mechanic for that....well I cant, I don't know anything about modding. maybe one of those floor mods can add it.

quxzcover

I keep of thinking of daleks of off doctor who. or cyber men. I think it would be great to have helpful robots to quickly carry stuff around, heal people etc, like what animals can do just faster and instead of requiring food for upkeep require electricity. also having them be repaired by somebody good with that stuff instead of doctoring. This could add alot of variety, and could be tiered. Every tier would have there work bot and different tier's could have stuff like:
Cannon fodder: run up and take damage from bullets and melee.
Gun drone: Would be small and agile and hard to hit but could attack with a gun.
Repair drone: repairs your objects.
Carryer: when you lay down the blueprints for a building these drones will automatically carry supplies to it.
Just robots that take care of things for you and add another level of automation to the game if that's the path you want to go. im thinking something like what factorio has going for it with its drones. those are just friendly drones and i think it would be cool to have a robotic faction siege. in other words they would come in with swarms of drones and start constructing a building to create more. it would act alot like what my earlier post had except it would make drones. it would be interesting fighting something like that. it would every-once and a while send some attack and defence drones after you and might even try to steal your stuff to create more drones. it would use up all the good land around it turning it to desert or rock. Obviously to create more drones. i think it would balance out to something like a 1-5 ratio where it would take 5 drones to take down one colonist. im thinking as im typing this if i should make a new thread with a poll that goes into deeper details on this.