What if you had to scout to discover factions? (mod idea)

Started by ProfZelonka, May 29, 2020, 02:12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProfZelonka

Fog of war but on the world rather than the map. Factions are silent until they discover you or you them. Some events disabled until faction is discovered. Royalty disabled until the kingdom is discovered, etc, etc.

I've always loved to play C&C Tiberian Sun because while you set up your base, you send scouts to explore the map for other bases. In Rimworld tho, I'm a base builder and rarely caravan.. This mod would definitely get me to start caravaning!

RawCode

there are very basic, or probably "atomic" rules of game design, every feature should integrate with game process and provide some value.

what value "fog of war" will provide to game play?
what existing systems can be integrated with "fog of war"?

what do you mean by royalty disabled?
do you want to disable expansion and all related content including quests and hardgate them with "traveling"?

in C&C Tiberian sun you always knows where other players are, because maps are not proceduraly generated and spawn points are fixed, this is absolutely not applicable to rimworld with procedural world.

ProfZelonka

Is it possible to hide settlements and factions until interacted with? (They passby on your map, their caravan visits, or if they come into view in a fog of war-type way but on the world map.

If not, I see what you're saying. I just don't know enough if it's possible to create, I just know it would drastically improve gameplay and use of the world map and factions:

The idea is for the world map to be blacked-out, you'd have to pick a landing spot blindly. Once game starts, the world map would now show a radius of x amount of tiles around your settlement. You would made a caravan, and as you travel, the caravan would also have an x amount of tiles that it would be unveiling as it travels. The comms and factions menu tab would have no factions listed. When a caravan encounters an event with a faction such as another caravan, or if a faction appears on your settlement map, or if your caravan unveils a faction settlement - the faction would now be visible in the comms and faction tab.

That's about it, could make the visible-border neat and transparent not to clash with the black hidden world.

Quote from: RawCode on May 29, 2020, 11:19:01 AM
in C&C Tiberian sun you always knows where other players are, because maps are not proceduraly generated and spawn points are fixed, this is absolutely not applicable to rimworld with procedural world.
Are you referring to symmetric multiplayer maps? All C&C games in campaign mode are unique designed maps that start you out on a black map with various paths and no knowledge of the map other than what's seen within the radius of the unit. "Fog of war" is different in that it hides activity unless it's in the *current* range of sight. In Tiberian Sun, once you uncover the area, you see what's there forever.

RawCode

actually this is nice plan, probably i will make something like proof of concept, it's really simple to implement actually.

ProfZelonka

ProfZelonka

Quote from: RawCode on May 30, 2020, 12:46:27 AM
actually this is nice plan, probably i will make something like proof of concept, it's really simple to implement actually.
Hey RawCode, did this ever make it on your list? Would love to see this idea in action if you're still up for it.