World Progression

Started by Garen, August 09, 2014, 01:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garen

ok after testing the upcoming alpha 6 - (You guys are in for a treat!), i had a lightbulb moment

what if colony buildings were still there if you picked the same/near site, but they were now neutral so it doesn't affect wealth until you claim it
to still have this make sense, the date would start one day after the colony's death.

(obviously make it so sites cannot be entered if an alive colony is still there)

LeoTiger1986

The odds of crash landing on the same Rimworld over and over seem way too unrealistic.  I personally don't think I would like that anyway.

Garen

you can currently choose whether to end up on the same world/seed or not

bobucles

It would be cool to have a bones file with remnants of your old colony.

But one day after it dies? Nah. Go for a hundred years. Just have the memory of the colony left behind, after it's been looted and pillaged and burnt to the ground.

Lancer447

What if you could land on the same rimworld as one of your past colonies and have them as a faction/you join their faction. It'd be a nice, easy-ish start-up if ya want it. Or, perhaps, just start on a map with an already-existing colony (doesn't have to be your past ones), and you can either become a member of that faction or you can create a new faction near those people, eh? Might seem difficult to code, I suppose, but it'd be cool, ya know?
Outdated mods: Lancer's Mods Bundle.
Shamless advertising mods and stories... Penana.

Damien Hart

This could be interesting, but a fully fledged colony at startup would ruin the theme of being stranded on a completely alien planet.

All objects other than walls and floors - and maybe even some turrets with an attached power source - would need to be removed, and a certain percentage of walls and floors should also be randomly removed. Add to that a few random "ruined" variation for some walls and floors (rusty metal floors/walls, cracked concrete floors, crumbling stone walls, rotted wood floors/walls etc.) which would have associated penalties (ugly environment, permanently reduced hit points) that would require replacing, and then it would make sense to find the bones of a lost colony.

I wouldn't be against finding some random resources scattered about the ruins, like a couple of your old weapons, some metal, maybe a couple of pieces of body armor, but any gains would need to be small enough that they serve as a sort of "kickstart" to the colony, as opposed to finding a conveniently empty, but perfectly usable base.

Seeing the skeletons of any dead creatures (including pawns) at the time of losing would be a nice touch, and if some hostile entities existed within the ruins, from predatory animals to pirates to players' old turrets (unclaimable ones) it would create an initial challenge to offset the advantage of a partially pre-constructed colony.

I also agree that one day is too short. It should be a randomised time, with a minimum of say a year.