Explosion size for electrical fault event

Started by Telkir, August 11, 2014, 04:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telkir

I'm not sure if this is already in the game since you don't often see the explosion first-hand when an electrical fault occurs.

The event I'm talking about is the event where all stored power in the colony batteries manages to short-circuit itself at one particular power-conducting point of your base, resulting in an explosion and fire.

If it doesn't already, it would be a nice touch if the size of this explosion took into account the amount of power involved, so you'd barely notice the bang if the batteries were nearly drained, but having a dozen or so charged batteries would result in an extremely dangerous 5 or 6 tile radius blast that could easily kill anyone nearby.

Damien Hart

It does. I once had an explosion with a radius of 12 cells. There was around 60,000 Wd of power in storage, and everything in about a 4x4 area was completely vaporised. The notification also said something like "Wow, that's a really huge explosion".

Telkir

Fair enough, nice that this happens!

Ha - that would definitely have been a big explosion. ;D

bobucles

Holy crap! Have these guys never heard of fuse boxes?

Damien Hart

Quote from: bobucles on August 11, 2014, 07:01:13 AM
Holy crap! Have these guys never heard of fuse boxes?

Apparently not. These days, I build smaller independant circuits that store at most 5k power, and only connect to a handful of buildings, to mitigate the danger.

Quote from: Telkir on August 11, 2014, 06:27:49 AM
Fair enough, nice that this happens!

Ha - that would definitely have been a big explosion. ;D

It wasn't so much the explosion as the resulting fire that was an issue.

RawCode

it do take in account amount of energy stored already, max radius is 15 at 90 000 energy stored.

but this event is plain punishing and have nothing with fun or balance, it can trigger near essential colonist and kill it and you absolutely have no methods of preventing this.

Telkir

Quote from: RawCode on August 11, 2014, 08:48:37 AM
but this event is plain punishing and have nothing with fun or balance, it can trigger near essential colonist and kill it and you absolutely have no methods of preventing this.
Well, you can do like bobucles mentions and try to modularise your power grid - that reduces the risk.

I guess it depends on your perspective. Although I wouldn't ever want to see an event that unavoidably kills a colonist, power faults (and unlucky deaths) are something you'd expect to see in a colony built by people who aren't necessarily experts in high-voltage wiring :P

Damien Hart

Quote from: Telkir on August 11, 2014, 10:01:26 AM
Quote from: RawCode on August 11, 2014, 08:48:37 AM
Well, you can do like bobucles mentions and try to modularise your power grid - that reduces the risk.

I guess it depends on your perspective. Although I wouldn't ever want to see an event that unavoidably kills a colonist, power faults (and unlucky deaths) are something you'd expect to see in a colony built by people who aren't necessarily experts in high-voltage wiring :P

Though to be fair, with all of the stuff they can make, fuses/breakers aren't so far fetched. Though they should probably be unlocked via research.