Quick open/close doors mod?

Started by Halgrath, July 03, 2021, 08:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halgrath

Is there a mod that puts holding open/closing doors into the "Basic" work category? Having a "Prioritise opening/closing door" on the priorities context menu that works like "Prioritise flicking switch" would avoid having to draft colonists to make them stand in doorways.

There are already mods that allow doors to be open/closed without colonists, but I'm just looking to reduce clicks rather than fundamentally change the behaviour. I haven't been able to find anything that does this, but wanted to check here before spending any time looking into creating a mod myself.

VitaKaninen

QuoteIs there a mod that puts holding open/closing doors into the "Basic" work category?

Holding doors open is just a setting on the door and it is applied instantly without any interaction from a colonist. 

It is not possible to move it into another work category, since it is not a job in the first place.  When you set a door to be held open, there is no task assigned to a colonist to walk through the door and open it, so that "task" can not be re-categorized since it does not exist. 

Example: If you set a door to be held open on an empty bedroom, that door will never be opened because no one ever had a need to enter that room.  Setting a door to be held open just means that the next time it is opened, it will not close.

There is a mod that locks doors, and prevents certain people or classes of people/animals from going through the door, and a task is assigned to a colonist to set the door permissions when you change them, but they still do not have a need to open the door.

I do not think it is possible to make a mod that drafts a colonist, and tells them to pass through the door, then undrafts them afterward.

Halgrath

Doors often need to be held opened/closed immediately for the purpose of redirecting enemies. I'm aware that there is no "toggle door" task that works like "flick switch" in vanilla. I wondered if there was a mod that adds such a task, but it sounds like there isn't.

VitaKaninen

I don't think there is, but if you are using a mod that allows you to command pawns to pick up items, you can create a stockpile of something like steel on the other side of a door that you frequently need held open, and then when you need to toggle it, you can tell a pawn to go pick something up from that pile.

That will not require you to draft them or undraft them, and it will still cause the door to be held open.  This also bypasses the zoning restrictions temporarily, so that if they are supposed to be in a safe zone, they will immediately return to it.

Arcalane

Quote from: Halgrath on July 06, 2021, 03:35:35 PM
Doors often need to be held opened/closed immediately for the purpose of redirecting enemies. I'm aware that there is no "toggle door" task that works like "flick switch" in vanilla. I wondered if there was a mod that adds such a task, but it sounds like there isn't.

You could try Doors Expanded (Dev) - it allows you to link most powered doors to switches, at which point the door cannot be opened manually and must instead be toggled by using a button or lever (included in the mod) which is an interaction task like regular switches.

Halgrath

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be sure to take a look at Doors Expanded.