Harmony Patching and Private Method Calls

Started by AncientGammoner, July 21, 2021, 11:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AncientGammoner

Let me preface this by saying the only C# I know is from modding and most of that is from modifying existing code, so I'm very much a beginner.  My question is:

If I'm trying to patch a method using Harmony (like with a Prefix) and the original method calls out a private method that I also need to call out, how do I reference that?  Google mentions reflections and publicized assemblies and honestly I'm lost.  An example would be very helpful.

RawCode

please provide links to articles about reflection that made you lost and explain what exactly you do not understand.

AncientGammoner

I just haven't seen a good, clear example of the format for calling a private method with inputs and returning a value.

I'm trying to call:
public static class CaravanEnterMapUtility
     private static IntVec3 FindNearEdgeCell(Map map, Predicate<IntVec3> extraCellValidator)

What I've been able to cobble together so far doesn't work (below).  Does anyone have an actual example I could look at, I would think this is a rather common thing to do.

MethodInfo methodInfo = typeof(CaravanEnterMapUtility).GetMethod("FindNearEdgeCell", BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Instance);
var parameters = new object[] { map, extraCellValidator };
__result = (IntVec3)methodInfo.Invoke(null, parameters);

Edit: Actually I think I got it to work, it should be BindingFlags.Static not BindingFlags.Instance since the method is static