Save/Load ideoligions in dev mode, and for non-player factions

Started by hut, July 26, 2021, 04:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hut

Hi RimWorld devs,

I appreciate that you added load/save buttons for ideoligions, but it's fairly limited: You can only load/save your own faction's ideoligion during game creation.

1. While one's own ideoligion is the most important one, I found after playing for a while that the other faction's ideoligions contribute a big part to the game satifaction as well. However, there's no big incentive to spend much time designing them at game creation. It takes hours to do, and you may end up changing the scenario, the map, or anything else about the game which results in the loss of all progress. Being able to save/load them would solve that. You could just design a couple of nice ones in advance, and assign them as desired, whenever you want.

2. Also, you can edit ideoligions in running games if you turn on the dev mode, but you can't save/load them there. So if I want to copy an ideoligion from (or paste one into) a running game, I'll need to make 15 screenshots and manually enter the information once again. I hope it's not too much effort to add the save/load buttons in that place as well.

Thank you for your amazing effort, you must be having some intense times right now, hope you're enjoying it :)

Sky.

I absolutely have to agree with that. It would speed up the game creation process a lot, especially because the ideoligions-section will grow in complexity with certain mods. It already took me a whole day long to set up proper ideoligions for me and my rivals. Two days later i gave up playing and wanted to remake my game, because only at this point i realised how big the impact of memes and rituals was to my gameplay. Also because i overlooked an option that made the outlanders all spawn with burkas. -.-

Regarding editing your ideoligion in running games - I would go one step further and allow it to be adapted on rare occasion, either with a time limit or at certain events and quests. Capturing one of your relics could be such an event.

ExampleHat

Just want to add that for each faction, many memes are blocked in the editor to keep the faction true to itself (you cannot make peaceful nudist raiders). So it probably has to be a safe/load function for every faction separately (so you cannot load your nudist tribe ideology into the raider one).

Klaboon

Yes! I solely made this account just to recommend this feature because I just feel like it's just another overlook by the developers. You can save more than one ideology using the vanilla ideology save/load feature but it is extremely tedious to copy and paste them onto each faction, especially when you make complex ideologies. It would definitely be a quality of life if it were to be added because no way I'm retyping a bunch of custom narratives or having to remember what roles and holidays you named them. Don't get me started on appearance too...

zgrssd

Quote from: ExampleHat on July 29, 2021, 05:52:23 AM
Just want to add that for each faction, many memes are blocked in the editor to keep the faction true to itself (you cannot make peaceful nudist raiders). So it probably has to be a safe/load function for every faction separately (so you cannot load your nudist tribe ideology into the raider one).
When making your own Religion you can not continue if you have conflicting rules (like Rancher+Animal personhood, Nature+Human Primachy).
Adding the AI Factions "Personality" to the list should be doable. So no special save/load is needed - just a check if there are no conflicts.

AileTheAlien

They seem to have added a saving feature for ideoligeons during gameplay, with a recent patch. I was messing with my colony's ideoligion with the dev tools because I'd made some bad picks, and noticed there's a save button now. Seems to work pretty much the same as saving the game or saving a custom scenario, with a button to overwrite.

zgrssd

Quote from: AileTheAlien on July 31, 2021, 10:03:03 AM
They seem to have added a saving feature for ideoligeons during gameplay, with a recent patch. I was messing with my colony's ideoligion with the dev tools because I'd made some bad picks, and noticed there's a save button now. Seems to work pretty much the same as saving the game or saving a custom scenario, with a button to overwrite.
That was 1.3.3096b:
"I've just released version 1.3.3069b to everyone. This is the same as 1.3.3069 from earlier today, with the addition of a feature that lets you save and load ideoligions within the ideoligion customization screen."

qux

of course why the "save" button is still present once the game is launched but not the "load" button??