[1.5][MODLIST] Glitter Tech Classic

Started by Sam_, August 16, 2014, 05:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think this mod should be broken into smaller mods?

Yes
No
Yes, but have an option for all features in a mod pack.

Lazybun

I really like tiled soil idea, but isnt it a bit too cheating? Soil on rock provides free alternative to hydroponics with ability to grow good stuff - trees, hay, corn etc with nearly the same growthrate when using tilled soil on top.
My suggestion is to force player to use hydroponics/generic soil first and slowly upgrade to your soil tiles with the excess of gathered resources.

Tilled soil:
reduce growth rate to 140-150%
add workload requirement on-par with sterile tiles
make it use some sort of fertilizer (cave flora mod uses potatoes directly for that purpose, for example - or add recipe/workbench to make fertiliser item from corn/hay/potatoes)

Soil on rock surfaces - add big workload requirement on top of smooth rock and double-triple amount of required fertilizer in comparison to tiled soil tiles. Creating a fertile field on a bare rock is a hard work, you know? :P

And, thanks for your mods, Glittertech is the only mod that makes me want to stop using combat realism.

Primal Lord

Quote from: Lazybun on December 24, 2016, 07:58:06 AM
I really like tiled soil idea, but isnt it a bit too cheating? Soil on rock provides free alternative to hydroponics with ability to grow good stuff

You can't put soil on rock objects, at least not in the latest version, i went through a bunch of different biomes and found you can NOT put soil on: any stone including rough and smooth variants, sand, icesheets, water, or mud. while i didn't specifically test for marsh land i believe i couldn't place over that either but i may be wrong.

TLDR: Mod creator already thought your concerns through and adjusted accordingly

Edit: also in real life it actually is possible to put soil on rock, it's called sod.
Edit2: after messing around with soil and xml for a while longer i realized i made a mistake, normal soil can be placed on smoothed stone, just not tilled, but you can place tilled soil over the normal soil afterwards, so i see you have a valid point still.
My suggestion, keeping sod in mind, would be to make dirt a harvest-able resource to lay back down if possible (Skullywags natural floors did something similar with water back in A14), and +1 on your fertilizer idea.

Astral

I really want to try my hand at making a compatibility patch between Glitter Tech and Combat Realism, as they're two of the mods that I find it hard to play without. I do miss the Arbitration mod collection, but some of that is more easily replicated by starting out as a tribe.

theubie

Quote from: Lazybun on December 24, 2016, 07:58:06 AM
I really like tiled soil idea, but isnt it a bit too cheating?

*snip for length*

Once the tile is turned to normal soil, you have no way of knowing if it is/was ever rock, so adding some special requirement for those isn't possible.

Lazybun

Quote from: theubie on December 25, 2016, 12:25:51 PM
Once the tile is turned to normal soil, you have no way of knowing if it is/was ever rock, so adding some special requirement for those isn't possible.

I suggested making ALL tiled soil construction work/resources cost to be high, since it provides hydroponics-level bonus to growth without any downsides for only 1 work point.

There is an issue of tiled soil  turning 'rich soil' tiles essentially as useful as 'gravel' tiles. I think ideally it should be a multiplier to original terrain quality, but I have a feeling that its too troublesome to script correctly.

The gist of my suggestion is to make whole mod more vanilla-friendly, where you have several choices, but everything has it's price.
And, since its a permanent maintenance-free solution, price should be high enough to make player consider a 'meh i should just put some hydroponics basins here for now, there are more urgent matters to handle first' option.

LycanBlackpaw

So, I'm not sure if this has already been discovered, but there seems to be a bug with the A16 version of Glitter Tech. Whenever the mod is loaded, all walls build instantly when a pawn interacts with it-the work time is always 1. It doesn't affect any other structure, either.

This reddit post is where I found out the problem was occurring for others-I had thought it was a broken mod on just my end. After doing testing, disabling Glitter Tech fixed the problem instantly.

Iwillbenicetou

Does anyone know where to modify steam save games. can't find it in normal ludeon save games
EDIT: I'm dumb. It's in Rimworld by Ludeon Studios
EDIT2: Hotfix for faction manager from other save didn't work
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Primal Lord

For someone so Lazy you sure want more work to do lol, in all seriousness though,
QuoteI suggested making ALL tiled soil construction work/resources cost to be high, since it provides hydroponics-level bonus to growth without any downsides for only 1 work point.

After my incorrectness in my last post you probably don't want my 2 cents lol, but i also want my voice heard so we can all be happy here. You also wanted to lower the fertility and such on tilled soil on top of raising construction cost, which from a balancing point of view i understand, however even hydroponics are just a more futuristic variant of tilling, which has existed as far back as 600 AD, so it makes sense for tilled soil to provide what bonuses it does.

However, i will agree that high work requirements are a fair balance for it as in reality it would take a whole season to till and plant the food (primarily wheat and rices) that would usually keep a nation fed until the next harvest.

So does roughly 15 days to plant a field large enough to grow 1 full rimworld year of rice for 5 rimpeople sound fair to you? (i realize no matter what we say the mod creator doesn't have to do anything, but if he/she/it/attack helicopter does, it would be optimal to have a consensus, and if i'm overstepping my bounds then by all means mod creator, tell me to stfu :p)

if so, at 0.05 nutrition and a 2.4 day grow period and ~6 crops per fully grown crop, it would take roughly... for a 1 season (15 rimDays) harvest for 1 rimYear (60 rimdays) of food, it would take 6.25 harvests of ~58 tiles  to feed 5 rimPeople(60 rimdays x 5 rimpeople = 300 simple meals a year). Basically equating out to 1 tile of tilled soil equaling 0.26 rimDays,  or ~6 rimHours of work to create.

Edit: Fixed math, i really should devmode before i say things lol

Lazybun

Quote from: Primal Lord on December 25, 2016, 05:21:04 PM

So does roughly 15 days to plant a field large enough to grow 1 full rimworld year of rice for 5 rimpeople sound fair to you?  Basically equating out to 1 tile of tilled soil equaling 0.26 rimDays,  or ~6 rimHours of work to create.

With those numbers, it looks like the most correct way to handle this (obviously, from my point of view) is to:
-create fetilizer from corn/potatoes/rice/hay, simillar to making kibble. I'm not sure if its possible to make compost using rimworld mechanics (i.e. leaving recycled plants on some area to 'age'/'rot' to create usable fertilizer after a couple of seasons.
-grow sod with long cycle, yeld something like 100 sod(since its mostly haul job to create new soil) per tile per 1,5-2 seasons
-use 20 fertilizer and 100 sod to create 1 tile of soil on smooth rock
-if possible, make it possible to create soil on concrete with increased cost of 200 sod - to build it on sea ice
-use 20-40 fertilizer to make tiled soil

MoiisAwesome

It would seem that although I can talk with the Orion installation via the comms console, and I can select to request a trade caravan from them, they present no types of trade caravans, so I cannot actually request a caravan, and I can't trade with them even visiting them with a caravan. Is this intended?

Iwillbenicetou

Quote from: MoiisAwesome on December 26, 2016, 08:12:37 AM
It would seem that although I can talk with the Orion installation via the comms console, and I can select to request a trade caravan from them, they present no types of trade caravans, so I cannot actually request a caravan, and I can't trade with them even visiting them with a caravan. Is this intended?
Probably, they are most likely intended as a hostile faction, not one to trade with
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Headshotkill

Will glittertech have a combat realism version soon?

asquirrel

Thanks man!  Another one of my must have mods updated!! :)

Makko

Quote from: MoiisAwesome on December 26, 2016, 08:12:37 AM

Also experienced this moments ago, it is bizarre.

Orion Corps also needs a different graphic for their settlements, the generic "House" building does not fit at all.

-------

Titanium is ridiculously hard to procure and it severely detracts from this mod being enjoyable. 16 Plasteel for 1 Titanium is absurdly low. Unless you have literally thousands of plasteel to spare you're never going to waste titanium on things like walls.

The scarcity reduces the player to hoping for RNG with mining deposit spawns or with what trade ships they have fly over head.

I don't have a problem with it being a rare resource, but it's currently just too rare and too desired in various systems and buildings.

There seem to be several typos/uncapitalized names that look un professional, but I can't be sure if they're from this mod or another one.

Jonlissla

Quote from: Makko on December 30, 2016, 12:08:03 AM
Titanium is ridiculously hard to procure and it severely detracts from this mod being enjoyable. 16 Plasteel for 1 Titanium is absurdly low. Unless you have literally thousands of plasteel to spare you're never going to waste titanium on things like walls.

Indeed, there is a awful amount of RNG/grind involved. While I absolutely love the new sprites and equipment, the material costs are huge.