Is Alpha 6 actually enjoyable?

Started by longbyte1, August 16, 2014, 10:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatesYourFace

Quote from: wolfman1911 on August 18, 2014, 08:05:08 AM
I just saw on the roadmap the part about religions. I knew there was a reason this game has been giving off this slight Warhammer 40k vibe!

Anyway, I suppose what you think of this update depends on how and why you play the game. I play to completion, which is to say, I play until all my colonists die horribly, and then I annoy my friends on facebook with a several page story of how it happened. I'm not sure why I do that, this is the first game that's ever engaged me like this. I tried playing Xcom on iron man, and couldn't do it, losing people hurt too much. Here, though, I let it happen and press on.

Because of that, because I'm playing for the emerging storyline, I think that the health system is great.

So much yes. This guy actually gets what this game is about.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

jjgoldman

More content is most welcomed.  Large chunks of time balancing now is generally a waste of effort, as new content will cause everything to be reevaluated  again regardless.  Frankly Tynan's efforts to balance now are probably much more for the community's desire to play Alphas then it is to come to a finished state of the game.   If you remember Alpha 1, the game got old pretty quick, but showed great promise.  The game generally degraded into a siege mentality where it took ever increasing waves of enemies to actually threaten you.  Now the game has several aspects which affect your play, and make you make decisions on which way to best proceed.   This is the essence of the game that I believe Tynan wants to make, which is actually something Dwarf Fortress does pretty well.  (Also I do believe DF does inspire RimWorld substantially, and any aspects that are similar are welcomed)

The last word is also the first word.  Alpha.

Omg_Ken1

I like the content that came with alpha 6, but some balancing to the waves would be nice to see soon. Also, I wish you could buy clothes, armor and those fancy cowboy hats from ships passing by!

milon

Quote from: wolfman1911 on August 18, 2014, 08:05:08 AM
I just saw on the roadmap the part about religions. I knew there was a reason this game has been giving off this slight Warhammer 40k vibe!

Anyway, I suppose what you think of this update depends on how and why you play the game. I play to completion, which is to say, I play until all my colonists die horribly, and then I annoy my friends on facebook with a several page story of how it happened. I'm not sure why I do that, this is the first game that's ever engaged me like this. I tried playing Xcom on iron man, and couldn't do it, losing people hurt too much. Here, though, I let it happen and press on.

Because of that, because I'm playing for the emerging storyline, I think that the health system is great.
I'd love to see some of your stories on the Stories board.  With screenshots if you have 'em.  ;)