How do you guys play RimWorld?

Started by Scott104, September 29, 2021, 03:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott104

IMO, RimWorld is a game that is meant to be played while multitasking, or played in the background, especially since there's a lot of waiting in the game. I have colony manager installed, which takes away a lot of the tediousness from micromanaging. I also have researchpal which allows you to queue researches(not sure why this shouldn't be in the base game), so what I do is press play, then go off to fold laundry, cook lunch or endlessly scroll YouTube videos etc. The game pauses automatically during a major event like a raid but I don't remember if that's the default setting.

Do you guys also play this way or am I the only one? If not(or if so) then how do you guys normally play?

MissFox

For me I play with no mods and typiclay play somewhere between peaceful and normal dependent on how im feeling.

Generally I choose Randy as my storyteller unless I'm trying to achieve a specific goal then ill choose cassandra, when I first started playing rimworld I would choose phoebe but I found her difficulty scales oddly sometimes.

I also tend to play on commitment mode.

I personally play rimwold the same as i would play dwarf fortress, more as a colony sim than a strategy game, I dont play efficiently and dont play "to win" at lest half of my colonies in over 500hrs of gameplay never escaped the planet and a few were destroyed in horrific firey death (or worse), i wouldn't really play it as an idol game either, while the game is running I'll be planning new constructions or expansions and constantly redesigning old parts of the base as new tech becomes available.

For me rimwold isnt about a win or loose gameplay loop, its more than that, for me it's about the random stories and situations, the interactions of the pawns and their personal triumphs and failures.

Sometimes its a story of triumph and sometimes its a story of utter hopleness but its always entertaining and its all drama to me ;)

josefrees

at this point I usually have a crazily powerful character around to see how much crazy stuff they can do during raids. I haven't gone too crazy on mods and I've gotten a lot of value out of that. When things get a little stale play around with another mod. Although a lot of times I will sit there laying down and deleting plans.

Sometimes I am focused on the game entirely other times I am playing something else and will unpause rimworld when I get a chance.

I get a lot of enjoyment looking at different seeds or generating random pawns. Finding seeds is especially fun for me

Alenerel

I never play the game like you, with multitasking. Im always on it, and through sometimes I spend some minutes without doing much, most of the times it requires me to be on top of it.