Abundant power and Power Surges

Started by Palad1n, August 18, 2014, 12:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palad1n

I have noticed that when I have a lot of extra power being generated, I tend to get "overloads" in conduits and batteries at times, among other issues.

I would love to see a mod that adds in some form of power management, transformers, or other forms of energy storage and / or voltage regulators that would you could research to prevent or minimize these overloads from taking place.

bobucles

I'm fairly confident that only one battery network pop during the event. This is usually your everything circuit because everything is connected.

Protip: You can manually do this by using power switches. Set up multiple battery zones with a switch connecting to the main line. When energy is surplus, connect one battery network at a time. When batteries in a sector are full, disconnect. When energy is draining, connect one network at a time. When empty, disconnect. With a little micro you will never have more than a few batteries connected at any one time.

With a bit of automation, a fuse box mod can do the same thing to keep your explosions at a minimum.

RemingtonRyder

As an alternative, you can divide your power generation and transmission into segments.  That way, if you do have an overload it will be smaller and not affect all of your power transmission.

Also, if you do have a lot of excess power generation, you can turn off generators and let the batteries discharge gradually, again lessening the size of the overload.

I've had overloads happen during solar flare events (ouch) so it seems that your excess power is considered even when there's nothing for it to connect to.