Biotech

Started by Adeptus, October 16, 2022, 05:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adeptus

So.... no one is discussing the new DLC? I'm surprised, but I didn't find such a topic, if there is one, sorry.
Biotech is very interesting. First of all - we finally get "canonical" parenthood and children! Second - I see it as a return to the "hard sf" principles that Rimworld was supposed to follow. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not an enemy of "magic" like the one introduced in Royalty, but it's nice from time to time to interact with a work in which superpowers are a bit more rooted in science and logic - in the real world, the technology of brain-machine interfaces allowing machines to be controlled remotely thanks to implants connected to the nervous system already exists, it's just a matter of developing it - so the mechanitors introduced by Biotech are much more realistic than the "Jedi knights" from Royalty (with all my love for "Star Wars").

Ramsis

The forums are typically more of a "deadzone."

It's up for ease of communication for some, to store mods, give feedback and bug reports, etc but in reality 99.8 percent of our community is on the Steam forums. If you'd like to discuss Biotech with much more activity I'd recommend going to https://steamcommunity.com/app/294100/discussions/
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Ramsis

Quote from: Adeptus on October 16, 2022, 10:40:02 AM
Thanks for the info, but... too bad. I'm a fan of traditional forums.

Nothing wrong with that at all friend, just wanted to let you know where everyone is hiding! :)
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

harpo99999

why would people try to communicate in water?, it is mostly used for washing and drinking

Pangaea

Quote from: Adeptus on October 16, 2022, 10:40:02 AM
Thanks for the info, but... too bad. I'm a fan of traditional forums.
Glad to hear it. Wish there was more activity here, but looks like those days are gone. Many people on discord as well, but trying to follow anything in the main rimworld channel there is pretty futile, with a thousand messages per hour :D

Will be interesting to see how Biotech turns out. I'm on the fence for the time being, and don't have the other DLCs either, but this one does sound more interesting. I love the core gameplay, with the focus on pawns fighting and hard sci-fi. The game definitely has a Firefly ring to it.

Just a few days left now. I'll eagerly read up on it then, and make up my mind.

Barazen

Biotech is probably the best one so far, my current playthrough is a mechanist start, who a few days in saved a ln enhanced human who became her husband in short order, they live in a cosy cabin with a detached lab for her to study in, while he cozies up to a stellarch empire to gain their tech.

I love how easily Biotech slots in with the regular feel of Rimworld, and my next playthrough will be Vatborn only.

If only Biotech added some ideologies as well so that I could make a faction of Vat Purists.

But robot army comes first.
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.

Serenity

Great features, but I really don't like the graphics. To the point where I'm not sure if I'll get it. Why does everyone have to look like some anime character now? Animals ears, tails, and weirdly colored skin. Those kind of looks belong in mods. That graphics style isn't necessary at all for what the genetics system does.

Barazen

Quote from: Serenity on November 02, 2022, 03:02:33 PM
Great features, but I really don't like the graphics. To the point where I'm not sure if I'll get it. Why does everyone have to look like some anime character now? Animals ears, tails, and weirdly colored skin. Those kind of looks belong in mods. That graphics style isn't necessary at all for what the genetics system does.

Easily toggled on world gen, and if you have ideologies as well you can even set appearance tolerances which pawns will automatically try to fit at a styling station should you convert them.

Don't worry, you can save the weaboos from themselves... But only fire can save the furries and pig men.

Honestly, though, I get what you mean, the firefly feel of the base game is somewhat lost, but if you read the fiction primer fro. The main menu it all still fits the original vision.

Still waiting on the ability to uplift monkies to sentience however... Tynan.
Anyone else felt their heart break when a pawns marriage falls apart?
Doc & Valarie, I shipped it, she flipped it.

DreamHollow

Hah, I'd love to talk about the DLC more when I can actually afford to get it. In dire straits right now.

I have to say that I love the concepts I've seen at a glance, and I'll be happy to give my opinion on stuff once I actually try it beyond watching gameplay.