How do you update RimWorld?

Started by thekillergreece, November 05, 2013, 12:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thekillergreece

Thats soooo good thing, I finally got my copy and played it! But I was wondering how can I update the game when new version has added?There is no Auto-Updator or anything else updating program like Steam...

So, how do you update RimWorld?

GC13

It's as simple as downloading the new copy, extracting it, and playing it as far as I'm aware.

Semmy

Quote from: GC13 on November 05, 2013, 01:02:05 AM
Download new copy, extract, play as far as I'm aware.

What he said.
Your download counter resets every new version.
At this moment there isnt a updater and it isnt planned for the next few builds according to the information i can see.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Maffus

I understand that this is a pre-alpha but I hope that an updater is added relatively soon, it is not emailed to my personal email address so I will check for the emails if I see somewhere that an update has been sent. It's a good game though so I don't mind waiting for a while :P :-) :D

Sky_walker

I think Tynan will e-mail ppl when updates are released :)
Or at least - hope so!
Self-sustaining colony with hydroponic glasshouses.

Semmy

He will.
And else i am sure either me or 1 of the other mods will do so.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

zaparad

Quote from: GC13 on November 05, 2013, 01:02:05 AM
It's as simple as downloading the new copy, extracting it, and playing it as far as I'm aware.
Where do you download it??

Cimanyd

Use the same link you used to download it in the first place.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Sparky129

How do you update it if you have already deleted the email with the link?

christhekiller

Quote from: Sparky129 on December 19, 2014, 01:52:31 PM
How do you update it if you have already deleted the email with the link?

It should still be in your deleted folder. Most email services keep a record of the emails you deleted for awhile. If not try emailing Tynan.

fearlessindain

Would there be an easy way to narrow down the email to the Rimworld email?

nash076

Actually, I've noticed the download counter *doesn't* always reset for the incremental updates.  There were a couple hotfixes for Alpha 9, and yet it didn't reset for me when I got the new ones ...

Hotrodster53

If for some reason you have issues doing the multiple updates and your counter hits 0, just e-mail Tynan and he usually resets you within 24 hours.

When I first bought the game I was using the guest wifi at work to d/l it, needless to say I had all kinds of issues that ate up my 7 attempts. I e-mailed him and within about an hour he reset my attempts.

City Builder

Quote from: nash076 on February 28, 2015, 04:41:22 PM
Actually, I've noticed the download counter *doesn't* always reset for the incremental updates.  There were a couple hotfixes for Alpha 9, and yet it didn't reset for me when I got the new ones ...
I believe it updates the counter only for the major releases, for example from alpha 8 to alpha 9 I found the counter had reset to whatever they have it set to, 5 or 7, can't remember exactly, but it does not update the counter from something like alpha 9a to alpha 9b or 9e etc.
Quote from: fearlessindain on February 28, 2015, 03:44:00 PM
Would there be an easy way to narrow down the email to the Rimworld email?

If you're using something like gmail (or almost any other email program or service) just try typing in your email's search feature for rimworld or sendowl and if it's still available in your email service or program it should be able to find it.  Other wise I guess you could wait until alpha 10 when the new emails will get sent out to everybody (when ever that happens to occur).

brobe94

Refer to the faq, will answer most if not all of the questions in this thread ;)

http://ludeon.com/blog/faq/