[MOD REQUEST] under normal circumstances pawns can stay alive on their own

Started by Zsar, February 25, 2023, 09:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zsar

Is there a mod or list of mods with which I do not have to incessantly make pawns do vital jobs?

E.g. most of my games end like this:
1) I forget to mark trees
2) pawns stop cooking
3) pawns eat all raw ingredients (tons per meal because for whatever reason those barely sate them)
4) I notice something is wrong because some unrelated job is not getting done
5) I mark trees, but everyone is too busy eating raw ingredients or already throwing tantrums
6) sometimes it's still possible to get wood, but now there is nothing to cook with - everyone dies

I'd like to have a more "Dungeon Keeper"-like experience, where a basic core economy can maintain the status quo without ceaseless player micromanagement. So that I can manage crises and expansion, the "interesting parts".

(Note: In theory with tree farms it should be possible to do this in vanilla... but because there is no productivity forecast, so far I have never managed to size them correctly.)

... Sometimes my games end like this instead:
1) cooks, hunters, harvesters stop delivering their produce, so someone else has to pick it up instead
3) stocks are compressed and all items in a stack inherit the worst remaining time before spoiled
4) arbitrarily large amounts of food go bad at the same time
5) everyone tantrums, so no new food is produced, then everyone dies because no new food is produced

I think that's a bug (or rather several bugs in concert), but I also think it will never be fixed.

Is there something like a "default mod list" to deal with this issue? There seem to be many "eliminate need <X>" mods, so people seem to feel the pain, but surely there must also be a "proper" solution, that makes do without cutting away whole game systems?

vincentlnalls

Several mods are available to automate these basic tasks, Achtung, AllowDeadMansApparel, Rimworld Search Agency are one of them, these can reduce the need for constant management of pawns.
Keep in mind no mod can completely eliminate the need for player input manually some degree of manual management always will be needed to survival of your colony.

Thanks

Nolabritt

Check out Fluffy's manager mod, it allows you to designate production quotas for colonists and they will keep the wood and meat coming in.

I wrote a blue-pawn mod back in 1.2 as a proof of concept. Basically I reconfigured the pawn think-trees and used a MapComp to control and allocate jobs on the map to automate the survival process. I used fluffy's blueprint mod to have them build full structures. Basically I wanted to automate the basic game. The hardest thing was the zone designators, it was almost impossible to have the pawns setup their own grow and stockpile zones. I had to get really fancy with scripts that would determine best placement and force the zone to be added. Anyhoo, one of the biggest problems is it became a full simulation and well, usually games are supposed to be fun and looking at a game play itself is only entertaining for so long. It was buggy and I never released it, and when 1.3 hit it was too much to update.

As for your cooking issue, this is a normal part of the game, you should have a dedicated cook and use the "do until you have X" option when making the bill. I always do a 3N+10 (N is the number of colonists) limit on the meals I have cooked and in storage.

If you really want to off-load the cooking aspect then consider building a paste-dispenser. It is possibly the most broken item in the game as it mean you do not have to have a colonist tied up cooking and no skill is required. Eating paste will give a negative mood modifier but if you put a few grand sculptures in the mess hall then the mood boost outweighs the paste modifier.   

As for the spoiling problem, either get your freezer up and running or mass produce pemmican with the food that is about to spoil. If you are prone to the less-techie, more neolithic/medieval game play, then consider disallowing crops from being harvested at the same time. The same way you only slaughter animals on demand for meat (you don't butcher the whole herd at once), only harvest sections of your grow zones as needed. Plants don't spoil so let them sit until you need them. Like that you can stagger the spoil timers and make a harvest last all year. Be careful though, fire, blight, weather, and animals can still destroy your crops, so be cautious.