Lord of Rockside

Started by stefanstr, August 26, 2014, 05:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stefanstr

I enjoy writing stories so why keep them to myself. This one is from a new colony. Probably to be continued. Enjoy:

We have been two and a half months on this planet and things are starting to align. I always look at the bright side of life, but I got to admit, when our ship crashed, my first thoughts were grim.

I have seen a lot of things in my 66 years of life. My life has already crashed once, when my home world was invaded. I used to be a lord of a castle and a somebody. I was raised to be a ruler. And then they came, with their starships and their sense of superiority. My castle was no more, and I was taken captive and had to bartend on one of the very starships that destroyed my home.

After years of this meaningless service, they packed me into a sarcophagus, and put me to sleep without a word of explanation. Now you know why my thoughts were grim when we crash landed - among all the fire and mayhem, I actually thought they decided to dispose of me. Only after a while did I notice the view… I was on top of a mountain teeming with wildlife, bathed in the glorious gold of a rising sun. Far in the distance, I could see lights of human dwellings. And I felt hope, for the first time in years.

It was three of us. The lady surgeon, the nervous boy called Happy, and me. We have mined deep into the mountain, creating a cozy and safe haven for ourselves. I was not surprised when local people started visiting. Neither was I surprised when two of them decided to join us.

What did surprise and sadden me was when some other locals tried to pry our happiness out of our hands. Such a vast world, what do they care about us being here? A few times have they tried to burn my castle down. My Rockside. They have failed. They fled in chaos every time, leaving their wounded behind.

We have been merciful and helped each and every one of them back to health, even though they have killed the Surgeon, may the Gods bless her soul. Moved by our magnanimity, one by one they pledged fealty to me.

I feel happy. I feel alive. I feel ready to fulfill my destiny. After nigh forty years of slavery, I am a lord again. Lord Asgair of Rockside.

Bruvvy