[MOD](Alpha 7) Realistic Weapons V2.0 + Fortifications Mod V2.0

Started by AY, August 28, 2014, 12:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maffo

Hey, love this mod, but it think i found a typo. Almost all pistols i have seen until now have range 10, but the steyr-Mannlicher m1901 has range 100, as much as the Lee-Enfield! I hope this was not intentional.

AY

Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 03, 2014, 11:58:22 AM
hey, great mod i just have one question:

i tried your PA+realistic weapon mod pack so far with the vanilla version, now i have come to love the TTM overhaul mod which includes the PA mod. my question is now if (and maybe how) i can integrate your mod to the TTM mod which has the PA mod integrated^^.

like i said, i tried your mod with vanilla Rimworld + PA and i think your changes make a huge impact towards having a more tactical gameplay which i really like and i would love to integrate it into my game :).
Just use the mod pack for PA, it contains only the thingdefs folder, simply extract it into the same mod you're trying to integrate it with and let it overwrite the PA files.

AY

Quote from: Maffo on September 03, 2014, 02:13:33 PM
Hey, love this mod, but it think i found a typo. Almost all pistols i have seen until now have range 10, but the steyr-Mannlicher m1901 has range 100, as much as the Lee-Enfield! I hope this was not intentional.
Oh whoops, didn't notice the extra 0. I'll fix that in the next patch, along with introducing some new weapons.

Xerberus86

Quote from: AY on September 03, 2014, 05:29:16 PM
Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 03, 2014, 11:58:22 AM
hey, great mod i just have one question:

i tried your PA+realistic weapon mod pack so far with the vanilla version, now i have come to love the TTM overhaul mod which includes the PA mod. my question is now if (and maybe how) i can integrate your mod to the TTM mod which has the PA mod integrated^^.

like i said, i tried your mod with vanilla Rimworld + PA and i think your changes make a huge impact towards having a more tactical gameplay which i really like and i would love to integrate it into my game :).
Just use the mod pack for PA, it contains only the thingdefs folder, simply extract it into the same mod you're trying to integrate it with and let it overwrite the PA files.

yeah but i am using the techtree minami mod (like i said) and this includes the PA mod and puts the weapons in the techtree etc., i just don't know if i overwrite this thingdefs folder if the "new" files might break the connection to the research tree (am no modder, just trying to think cautiously^^).

AY

Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 03, 2014, 06:21:05 PM

yeah but i am using the techtree minami mod (like i said) and this includes the PA mod and puts the weapons in the techtree etc., i just don't know if i overwrite this thingdefs folder if the "new" files might break the connection to the research tree (am no modder, just trying to think cautiously^^).
I just downloaded TTM and checked, the researches are referencing the weapons, instead of the other way around. The mod should work fine with the PA files being overwritten.

Xerberus86

Quote from: AY on September 03, 2014, 09:40:07 PM
Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 03, 2014, 06:21:05 PM

I just downloaded TTM and checked, the researches are referencing the weapons, instead of the other way around. The mod should work fine with the PA files being overwritten.

yay, thanks for clarification and i think this could also be changed on the fly and doesn't require a new colony.

EDIT ok @OP (/modder), i love the idea of weapons being more deadly and more diverse but why is one of my early game / low shooting-skill (well ok, he has 8 or 9 in it) colonist able to shoot / hunt deer from literally across the map? i understand that some weapons have increased range but that seems a bit too far:

Iwillbenicetou

ONE: Mistake for some pistols in PA,
TWO: The Lee Einfield has quite a big range (don't know if accident or on purpose)
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

Xerberus86

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on September 04, 2014, 04:56:53 PM
TWO: The Lee Einfield has quite a big range (don't know if accident or on purpose)

so some pistals in PA with realistic weapon are bugged?

well the one shooting just spawned a couple minutes ago and joined my colony, he had a light smg if i remember correctly, he did NOT have the lee einfield.

thing is, realistic or not that range is kinda gamebreaking for me because the range was around 50-60% of the whole map meaning if i get attacked by raiders they should from the other side of the map? that isn't just bound with some problems but quite boring tbh.

what is further bothering me is that you see  clearly a bunch of trees between him and the deers, there is no way he could hit those animals, he had no clear shot and yet he hit them nonetheless.

Iwillbenicetou

Because AY, made a mistake and put pistol's range on 100, so that may be the cause.

Xerberus86

Quote from: Iwillbenicetou on September 04, 2014, 05:16:42 PM
Because AY, made a mistake and put pistol's range on 100, so that may be the cause.

hmmm, but like i said...he had no pistol but came with a brown-black smg / lmg or whatever, sadly i don't have the save anymore otherwise i would've given you the exact weapon -.-.

Iwillbenicetou

AY

1. The Steyr Mannlicher should be the only pistol that is bugged, the rest (should) have ranges of less than 40.
2. The Lee Enfield has a range of 100, it is on purpose. Some weapons have even higher ranges, so it's recommended to use this pack for Big sized maps.

AY

Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 04, 2014, 05:03:09 PM

so some pistals in PA with realistic weapon are bugged?

well the one shooting just spawned a couple minutes ago and joined my colony, he had a light smg if i remember correctly, he did NOT have the lee einfield.

thing is, realistic or not that range is kinda gamebreaking for me because the range was around 50-60% of the whole map meaning if i get attacked by raiders they should from the other side of the map? that isn't just bound with some problems but quite boring tbh.

what is further bothering me is that you see  clearly a bunch of trees between him and the deers, there is no way he could hit those animals, he had no clear shot and yet he hit them nonetheless.
1. Steyr Mannlicher is the only pistol with bugged range, the rest are fine.
2. SMG maximum range is 40, and that is only on a few of them (If I recall correctly MP40 is one of them), anything with longer ranges are in the rifle section.
3. The smallest map is 200x200 so even a range of 40 shouldn't cross half the map, it's most likely a rifle
4. On the smaller maps immediate firefight might happen, but long range firefights are VERY INACCURATE, and will take absolutely ages if you plan on doing the pre-WWI stand in a line and continuously fire at each other way. On larger maps there should be still quite some distance (probably at least 50) between the raiders and your battle rifle max ranges, and sniper harassing fire is a valid and viable tactic. Once a firefight begins you should establish a "front line", which is basically your colonists and raiders exchanging fire at a long range, while both sides try to flank each other and counter-flanking.
5. Now that you bring that to my attention it does seem rather silly, I'll change some attributes on the trees and see if that can make it so they block bullets and work as a cover for more interesting forest/jungle fights.

Xerberus86

Quote from: AY on September 04, 2014, 06:05:15 PM
1. The Steyr Mannlicher should be the only pistol that is bugged, the rest (should) have ranges of less than 40.
2. The Lee Enfield has a range of 100, it is on purpose. Some weapons have even higher ranges, so it's recommended to use this pack for Big sized maps.

big-sized maps are fine and good but the game isn't optimized yet and i get some framerate drops while i get some huge invasions (50 +), but that might also be because i often play at 3x speed and won't really go below 2x speed^^.

the game also doesn't seem to utilize all my cores (intel core i5 4440, 4x 3.2 ghz), i did test it once with both coretemp and openhardwaremonitor. my first core got once to 100% but my other cores were around 60% at max. so i don't know about using bigger maps, i have 8 gig ram so it should be fine though.

till now i played on the standard settings, i might try the mod again then. but its kinda ironic, at the start of a new game and the first time i play with these weapon modifications, the first one who shoots is some colonist i get right from the start (never had that before) and he carries the only buggy gun x'D.

AY

Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 04, 2014, 06:22:16 PM
Quote from: AY on September 04, 2014, 06:05:15 PM

big-sized maps are fine and good but the game isn't optimized yet and i get some framerate drops while i get some huge invasions (50 +), but that might also be because i often play at 3x speed and won't really go below 2x speed^^.

the game also doesn't seem to utilize all my cores (intel core i5 4440, 4x 3.2 ghz), i did test it once with both coretemp and openhardwaremonitor. my first core got once to 100% but my other cores were around 60% at max. so i don't know about using bigger maps, i have 8 gig ram so it should be fine though.

till now i played on the standard settings, i might try the mod again then. but its kinda ironic, at the start of a new game and the first time i play with these weapon modifications, the first one who shoots is some colonist i get right from the start (never had that before) and he carries the only buggy gun x'D.
Problems with optimization is up to Tynan, so unfortunately there is nothing I can do to make big maps run better. However I do recommend using 1x speed during combat, since messing up is more devastating and your colonists can be killed very easily.
The problem with the Mannlicher pistol will be fixed next update along with some tweaks to trees and cover.