Do X Times VS Do Until You Have X Vs Do Forever

Started by Matthiasagreen, September 04, 2014, 10:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthiasagreen

I was just wondering what most people use? What situations do you use what?

I personally use "Do until you have X" the most and "Do forever" on certain things like cremating corpses or butchering animals. I hardly ever use "Do X times." I wonder if the default should be "Do Until you have X" if that is what is most used. Thoughts?
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Cortina

I do roughly the same thing in terms of what stays infinite and what gets done until X is reached. The only time I have a colonist "Do X Times" is when the Chef of the colony is particularly good at something else, and for whatever reason I need him/her to do that something else urgently. "Make Simple Meal X Times", X being a value in which he makes enough meals to last the colony at whatever size for a few days, suspend the order for "Simple Meal Until X", let him get the other task done, then resume the regular order.

Shinzy

well you still have to set the thing up yourself almost every time you make a new bench so I don't mind it being what it is now by default

and I use Do forever way more than Do until X, which I only use for foods =P
It's so much more simpler to have that stone cutting thing work forever
but on a limited resource gathering range
same thing with the slag burner and cremator

Pirx Danford

I use these the most

Cooking: Do until you have X
Cremating, Butchering, Slag melting and deconstructing mechanoids: Do forever
Stonecutting: I start with Do X times to later switch to Do until you have X

Have I forgotten a crafting type?

Anyhow I agree for cooking it would be cool if it would start out with "Do until you have X".
Otherwise "Do forever" would be the best default option.

Matthiasagreen

I guess I use "Do until You have X" on my crafting more because I use Superior Crafting. Its the only way I can manage getting enough resources for all my projects.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Goo Poni

Quote from: Shinzy on September 04, 2014, 10:53:16 AM
well you still have to set the thing up yourself almost every time you make a new bench so I don't mind it being what it is now by default

That is an amazing idea. Just use the stonecutting table to get rid of all those rocks left laying around in a mountain base that no-one will ever haul. Stealing this idea.

EDIT:
I used to do "Do such and such meal until you have 10" but those item compression structures in various mods seem to work by only allowing one meal to be accessible. The colonist AI only sees that there is one meal stored, two if a second is stored in another compressor, so colonists keep cooking. One of my food preservers has 67/10 lavish meals in it. I'm thinking I just delete them entirely and leave food laying on the ground instead even though that thought irks me.

Shinzy

Quote from: Goo Poni on September 04, 2014, 02:08:38 PM
Quote from: Shinzy on September 04, 2014, 10:53:16 AM

That is an amazing idea. Just use the stonecutting table to get rid of all those rocks left laying around in a mountain base that no-one will ever haul. Stealing this idea.

EDIT:
I used to do "Do such and such meal until you have 10" but those item compression structures in various mods seem to work by only allowing one meal to be accessible. The colonist AI only sees that there is one meal stored, two if a second is stored in another compressor, so colonists keep cooking. One of my food preservers has 67/10 lavish meals in it. I'm thinking I just delete them entirely and leave food laying on the ground instead even though that thought irks me.

Go right ahead! I stole learned to take advantage of the resource range from someone else myself, too!

Whoever invented the Monkey-see-monkey-do method is genious

Edit: The someone probably was a monkey to think of it