What diseases can we expect and what will they do?

Started by Ramsis, September 04, 2014, 03:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Mystic

Quote from: Ramsis on September 04, 2014, 03:51:41 PM
Just asking!

I'd like to know, too!  This is a very interesting development note indeed ... should keep things even more exciting.  Malaria in the jungle we already know from the change log ... perhaps some incidents of frostbite (losing limbs to it in extremis!) or increased risk of pneumonia in the high hinterlands?  Or heat stroke in the hotter climates?

milon

I wonder what diseases will stalk the desert...

I know they're not exactly diseases, but sunstroke & dehydration are the first things that come to mind.

Cyclops

One thing's for sure. Those darned visitors will bring 'em!

Jokes aside, most of the diseases one can catch from rotting dead bodies I suppose. Such as  gastroenteritis, hepatitis B and hepatitis C, HIV, enteric intestinal pathogens, tuberculosis and cholera. Depending on the corpse, of course.

ShootyFace

While Earthly diseases will be !FUN!, I would love to see some insane space plagues. Mindworms that drive colonists crazy but don't spread, diseases that cause limbs to fall off or need amputation, a virus that animates the dead, a stomach illness that causes colonists to explode, a bacteria that eats at colonists eyeballs making them blind, a form of space rabies in certain squirrels that infects colonists so they one day fall to the ground dead while hordes of baby rabid squirrels burst from their corpses to attack everything in sight.

If nothing else, adding these systems will give modders a shit ton of things to make our colonists' lives more 'interesting'.
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

Fruit loops

Shoot I didn't look at the other posts first you beat me to it  :P
The guy who suggested the mood debuff for harvesting prisoner organs.

Woolly

Boomrat scratch fever. If left untreated.... BOOM!

ShootyFace

"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

Coenmcj

I'm hoping for some awesome stuff, and if Ison & Tynan's prior work with the medical system is any indicator, it will be.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

RawCode

Quote from: Cyclops on September 04, 2014, 04:45:50 PM
One thing's for sure. Those darned visitors will bring 'em!

Jokes aside, most of the diseases one can catch from rotting dead bodies I suppose. Such as  gastroenteritis, hepatitis B and hepatitis C, HIV, enteric intestinal pathogens, tuberculosis and cholera. Depending on the corpse, of course.

And what your colonists need to do in order to get HIV from rotting corpse :)

Xerberus86

Quote from: ShootyFace on September 04, 2014, 06:53:13 PM
While Earthly diseases will be !FUN!, I would love to see some insane space plagues. Mindworms that drive colonists crazy but don't spread, diseases that cause limbs to fall off or need amputation, a virus that animates the dead, a stomach illness that causes colonists to explode, a bacteria that eats at colonists eyeballs making them blind, a form of space rabies in certain squirrels that infects colonists so they one day fall to the ground dead while hordes of baby rabid squirrels burst from their corpses to attack everything in sight.

If nothing else, adding these systems will give modders a shit ton of things to make our colonists' lives more 'interesting'.

why do i think about the "alien" movie series after reading your comment, let us have an alien virus (or nano virus) that is like a parasite and is in one of the limbs of the infected. there is x% chance that you will notice it and you either have to amputate the limb or risk the colonist exploding in gore and an alien / mechanoid appearing in your midst. of course this x% chance isn't very high so there will be some xplosion sometimes :D.

ison

Currently there are Flu, Malaria, Plague, Wound infection and Sleeping sickness. Depending on current severity stage they can be barely noticeable, significantlly lower some stats or even lead to death if left untreated - however, there will be many symptoms like losing consciousness before someone dies (also there will be an alert if current disease stage is life threatening). If properly treated most of the diseases should be harmless though (however for old/weak people it will be a better idea for them to stay in bed to ensure full recovery).

Mystic

Quote from: ison on September 05, 2014, 08:29:25 AM
Currently there are Flu, Malaria, Plague, Wound infection and Sleeping sickness.

Will Wound Infections be keyed to specifically follow instances where the colonist was wounded in some way (i.e., in an attack)?  Or will they be entirely random events?

ison

Each wound will have some chance to cause infection if left untreated (also there will be some chance for wound to cause infection if poorly treated without using medicine).

vagineer1

Quote from: ison on September 05, 2014, 10:01:59 AM
Each wound will have some chance to cause infection if left untreated (also there will be some chance for wound to cause infection if poorly treated without using medicine).

In the future will the med-paks have several uses before a pack is depleted? I don't think that everything inside a single med-pak would be used to treat a bite.

Do you also know if wounds will have a visual effect on the pawns? (Apart from the standard bullet hole we've had for a long time)
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.