Siege guns/Combat Engineers

Started by LordJulian, September 07, 2014, 09:32:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordJulian

So i was thinking about the diversity of raids, it's either a blind charge through a turret farm or sieging the colony that would bombard over a period of time. The first one seems to always leave a trail of dead bodies or overwhelm your colonists with superior numbers. The other is more or less the same, but have you manage your buildings and colonists affected by the mortars just before the charge. Seems that everyone hostile to the colony have very little sense of self-preservation.

So why not program the AI build a siege zone just right outside the colony defenses, where the raiders will spread out and prepare to attack the colony while building siege turrets that can be effective at breaking down walls. It's basically just like besieging a colony, but with more accurate projectiles aimed to destroy walls and defenses. Suppose that multiple siege turrets will aim at several directions, where the raiders will charge only when there are enough entries into the colony rather than a straight march up to death row.

Or get combat engineers with special mining picksthat can tear down structures. They are mostly concentrated to breaking down walls, allowing the raiders to advance, although they will be lightly equipped as such. The raiders will follow suit behind the engineers as they carve their way through multiple paths. A simpler solution to having less programming on that part might be structure destroyer guns that can be fired from a range to demolish walls and obstacles.

I suppose there are flaws to this, like proper decuction of siege zones and the need to program the AI to siege as intended etc, but certainly better than raiders being led like sheep into the turret pen.

Somz

Damn, and reading "combat engineer" I thought it'd be about pawns with portable, small turrets. Would be cool.
To beer or not to beer.
That is a laughable question.

LordJulian

Quote from: Somz on September 09, 2014, 05:36:06 AM
Damn, and reading "combat engineer" I thought it'd be about pawns with portable, small turrets. Would be cool.

Well, that could be also the case, but there are already mods with buildable manned turrets. Unless of course you're talking about THE portable turrets that can be carried by a colonist, would be a great idea. Extra firepower at the expense of not carrying a ready weapon.

This thread focuses on raiders having weapons that can break through colonists defenses without being led like sheep into a turret farm, but cometothinkofit yes, portable turrets can be added to the raiders for them to siege the colony. only difference with your suggestion is that they fire missiles to destroy buildings.