Awesome World Seeds

Started by Romi, October 01, 2014, 06:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UrbanBourbon

DRY MAPS, MINIMAL RAINFALL, which means minimal white noise from the rain.

Seed: MrsJenkinsIsHot
World size: the smallest possible (150x112)

On the world map, there's a large-ish desert on the western coast. There you'll find several sites with 90-200mm rainfall. 96mm 88mm was the lowest I spotted. Enjoy the drought.

Here's couple:
20.71E --- 28.57N  (96mm rainfall)
20.71E --- 26.43N  (88mm rainfall)

KugelBlitz

Quote from: ItchyFlea on October 02, 2014, 08:09:04 AM
Game version: Alpha 7
Seed: 8awm
Size: 200x150
Good location: 6.93oE - 18.13oN
Awesome location! It took me forever to find because it was way over in the corner of the map and I don't know how to zoom in to the corners.

ozzymud

Just tried recreating a world a friend of mine has. Used the same seed for the for the world and same coords on the same size map. The general terrain is exactly the same. But the coolest part of his save is a thermal vent right next to a mountain that fills the whole east side of the map. It is not on mine though? I guess those are random on gen and not part of the seed?

world info
name:Algol Ksora (This name seems to be random each time the seed is used)
size: 400, 300
seedString: w3cv

save info:
size: 250,250
worldCoords: 196,26 (57.27E,6.93N)

Generated the colony several times and the vents were random each time. Still a very nice seed as the lower area only has 2 openings (over the lake and one more to the north) for access to a huge mountain. Blows to have to re-roll 3 characters over and over to try and get that vent back :P

Quote from: KugelBlitz on November 02, 2014, 11:44:06 AM
Awesome location! It took me forever to find because it was way over in the corner of the map and I don't know how to zoom in to the corners.

For me it works by scrolling in/out with the mouse wheel and useing the direction keys between the main keys and keypad to move around.

skullywag

If you are jyst gonna reroll over and over why not go dev mode and place the geyser where you want, seems silly to waste all that time. Granted you will have more geysers on the map then but ehh....
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

UrbanBourbon

Quote from: skullywag on November 03, 2014, 04:20:09 AM
If you are jyst gonna reroll over and over why not go dev mode and place the geyser where you want, seems silly to waste all that time. Granted you will have more geysers on the map then but ehh....
Because randomness is part of the entertainment. What the player wants is acceptable randomness followed by an acceptable challenge. It's not fun if there's no challenge, or if the challenge is unpleasant. And there's no challenge if you have full control, since assuming full control is the polar opposite of surrendering yourself to acceptable randomness. There's a reason why the starting colonist screen has a button named 'Randomize' instead of 'Tweak colonist properties', just as there's a reason that the saved games can be fully edited simply with a text editor.

On the other hand, I do wish the steam geysers would adhere to seed and be fixed locations in the world, instead of generating randomly every time. Steam geysers are a highly strategic element, perhaps even more important than the terrain. Steam geyser location is a game changer. To have steam geysers generate randomly almost defeats the purpose of having a recorded seed, since a good steam geyser location can compensate for the shortcomings of a boring or a difficult terrain, while a poorly placed steam geyser can make an otherwise great map to be an annoying, difficult or an uninteresting one.

I bet players would use more solar energy, and thereby be more willing to let go of steam geysers, if battery explosions didn't occur. I know I would. Or maybe the steam energy needs a downside, such as fluctuating output, changed daily or weekly. Mwahaha!

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on November 03, 2014, 07:22:31 AM
Quote from: skullywag on November 03, 2014, 04:20:09 AM
Because randomness is part of the entertainment. What the player wants is acceptable randomness followed by an acceptable challenge. It's not fun if there's no challenge, or if the challenge is unpleasant. And there's no challenge if you have full control, since assuming full control is the polar opposite of surrendering yourself to acceptable randomness. There's a reason why the starting colonist screen has a button named 'Randomize' instead of 'Tweak colonist properties', just as there's a reason that the saved games can be fully edited simply with a text editor.

On the other hand, I do wish the steam geysers would adhere to seed and be fixed locations in the world, instead of generating randomly every time. Steam geysers are a highly strategic element, perhaps even more important than the terrain. Steam geyser location is a game changer. To have steam geysers generate randomly almost defeats the purpose of having a recorded seed, since a good steam geyser location can compensate for the shortcomings of a boring or a difficult terrain, while a poorly placed steam geyser can make an otherwise great map to be an annoying, difficult or an uninteresting one.

I bet players would use more solar energy, and thereby be more willing to let go of steam geysers, if battery explosions didn't occur. I know I would. Or maybe the steam energy needs a downside, such as fluctuating output, changed daily or weekly. Mwahaha!

This mod has a very nice addition to power called a geothermal extractor. You can put it anywhere, instead of depending on the map generator. It costs 600 metal and 100 plasteel and takes 50X longer than the regular geothermal to build (which has already been increased by 10X) it also requires research to unlock it and makes slightly less power. I feel like the costs and the tradeoffs make it perfect as an endgame power source that you have to work for, but satisfies my need for symmetry. 
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

jimoc

So ben spending the past week here on the forums patiently waiting for payday :P
Just bought the game a few minutes ago and generated a world
Normal size and Seed was
Carbon Monoxide
and heres the result at location 20.27 E 17.60 N
Perfectly defensible mountain home at the bottom left with 2 very close geysers and 2 more within working distance.
One short wall needed to block off the top entrance of the centre section leaving the only way in for the bad guys through the marshland .
First things to do are cut my way into the enclosed area at the bottom, enclose the two closest geysers and get my base up and running before the bad guys attack.
http://i.imgur.com/N7VPwsV.png

Romi

Wow that's a very lucky caught jimoc!Thank you for sharing it with us!

Goo Poni

Quote from: jimoc on November 15, 2014, 08:59:37 AM
So ben spending the past week here on the forums patiently waiting for payday :P
Just bought the game a few minutes ago and generated a world
Normal size and Seed was
Carbon Monoxide
and heres the result at location 20.27 E 17.60 N
Perfectly defensible mountain home at the bottom left with 2 very close geysers and 2 more within working distance.
One short wall needed to block off the top entrance of the centre section leaving the only way in for the bad guys through the marshland .
First things to do are cut my way into the enclosed area at the bottom, enclose the two closest geysers and get my base up and running before the bad guys attack.
http://i.imgur.com/N7VPwsV.png

I personally would have sealed off the marshlands and used that chokepoint near the unsheltered geyser. With purposefully inaccurate guns, that would be a great opportunity to spread the damage all around when raids come. Upon closer inspection, there is a one tile gap in the rocky outcrop north of the unsheltered geyser which would make an even better chokepoint due to being a natural funnel. Then you could use painfully accurate guns and even the misses are likely to still hit something. Free sandstone when your colonists erode the chokepoint with volleyed gunfire.

EDIT:
Is there any disadvantage to generating a full sized world? It's a little harder to precisely click map tiles but it seems as if a smaller world generation is just a fraction of what you would've gotten from a full size generation, based on my extremely anecdotal evidence of using the same seed to generate small maps then big maps and seeing entire identical landmasses.

insanevizir

Seeds: 2sexxy4u
Biggest wolrd possible.

Found a lot of good maps on this one. been using for a few games now. This world has all possible biomes, even the ones not implemented yet.

Goldberger

Quote from: ItchyFlea on October 02, 2014, 08:09:04 AM
My current favourite world and location:

Game version: Alpha 7
Seed: 8awm
Size: 200x150
Good location: 6.93oE - 18.13oN
Screenshot of location: http://i.imgur.com/RfNQJc8.png
Completely enclosed except for a 1 block wide entrance to the west. Terrain is mountains and it comes with a southern coast. :D
Factions:
1 Outlander
2 Tribal
2 Pirate
Their relations towards you can vary, so their relations towards your colony based there may differ from their relations with my colony.
But along with the pirates being hostile, one of the tribals are also hostile towards me.

I been trying to find a better location than that but its impossible. That is just a amazing location. Only irritating thing about finding the location is when you have to use wasd to scroll the map. Sadly i can't just sit back and only use mouse when trying to find a good map. A shame there is not a option to quick view the starting location on a mini window or something similiar without having to start a new game to see whats in that spot tough.

Griffijl

No image sadly, but I found a good one
"just give me a good world all (insert F word here)ing ready".
Yes, that actually worked.
Nice closed off mountain region at 79.47E, 30.40N

milon

@ Griffijl, what world size did you generate?  That has an important impact on the co-ords used.  ;)

Snowpig

If you are using the icesheet-mod, try

Seed: 8887
Size: 400x300

just highlight temperatures and find your cold spot  ;)

Enjoyment

I found this one...

World size: 200x150. Seed: Enjoyment (yeap, exactly as my nickname 8))

Specs of landing zone are here:

View of landing zone (map size is 250x250):

And it is the best map I've ever get (and I played many, maaany maps) for non-challenge game - it is closed to all sides by one mountain, except one way in the east 16 squares
wide...

And I tried this a couple of times - with correct params, you allways get exactly this landing sight, though world's name will be different each time (but who cares of it?)
English is neither my native lang nor my strong side...