Slave trading, organ harvesting and propaganda/immigration

Started by ComradeCrimson, October 05, 2014, 11:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComradeCrimson

I've found it quite startling that the culture of these Rimworld colonists is so open to slavery, especially given some of them come from worlds not too much unlike our own and galactic travel seems fairly common. It's also somewhat disturbing organ harvesting is so readily accepted, even if it kills a patient. Points like these have been brought up before like in this thread: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6593.15

But here's my thoughts on the matter. I think that depending on the social background of characters, where they grew up/lived prior they have a tolerance level or some such to actions like this, as well as killing, etc. A man who was a vat grown soldier and fought on some utter hell hole with trenches and barb wire might not care as much as a guy from a midworld who became a librarian if you're nicking organs or selling prisoners.

Besides that personality difference thing (which I think is rather complex to implement) I think there should be a penalty to buying slaves, not as big as selling one would be but its still dealing with the practice. Harvesting organs should also result in a lot more negatives, ones already discussed in said thread. Further thoughts on it lead me to this; it should be ONLY slave traders you can sell organs to or more nefarious traders, who'll accept it. There should also be penalties to faction relationships if you are involved with slave trading and mass organ harvesting, as some factions may be more egalitarian then others.

But there should also be other options of attracting colonists to balance this out too, and this is my idea on it. Besides capturing people, helping out factions, being friendly and getting a good reputation- or a very antagonist reputation in some instances, should attract people to your colony. If you're a big bad raider den you should attract real hardcases and such, but if you are more benevolent, more average folks may who up (who may be better workers then fighters.)

And maybe with research established and sufficient resources, you can transmit signals and even radio, television or whatever form of media you prefer to spread advertisements/propaganda of your colony to encourage others to join it. Having this ongoing should increase the rates people join you- but this may cost a pretty penny to maintain or setup. And it should also paint your colony as a big target to raiders, as you're essentially having a big neon sign of "come here!" to everyone.

Just some thoughts I had.
My Voice Acting library/samples:
https://soundcloud.com/comradecrimson
I am a voice actor for various mods like Rise of the Reds for Generals Zero Hour. Contact me via email if you need my services.