alpha 7 unmodded extreme challenge on a flat map help

Started by Omenpapa, October 11, 2014, 11:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Omenpapa

In the last couple of days I'm trying to survive this, but I'm just keep dying and dying :) I'm fairly new to the game, but im a guy who prefers to die 1000 times instead of playing on an easier difficulty.

As the title says, I'm trying to play this unmodded. I'm only using the edbUI and more hair mode, so nothing which would change the game's balance.

I usually die fairly early in the game at the 3rd 4th maybe 6th raider wave. The main problem I can see is the weapons. I just dont get any. Traders do supply power armors If I survive the first waves, but I just cant fight with basic pistols against m16 and sniper rifles, aspecially that they r usually 2-3 times more then my guys.

Usually I tried to not wall in, and let them come, but they just overwhelm me this way. Last time I made a wall and a nice kill box at the front to handle anything, then ofc the raids stopped and I got defeated via sieges. I tried to go out but again the weapon difference is just too big to handle.

Oh yea, and I'm playing on a flat map, cuz it feels like everybody is just playing on a high mountain map, and just dig in.. boring ^^

I'm open for any suggestion, and also looking for lets play videos which contain alpha 7 unmodded exreme difficulties. Sadly everybody seems to play just on challenge, at least most of the videos I found were like that on youtube.

MisterLock

To each his own.

keylocke

Quote from: Omenpapa on October 11, 2014, 11:41:39 PM
In the last couple of days I'm trying to survive this, but I'm just keep dying and dying :) I'm fairly new to the game, but im a guy who prefers to die 1000 times instead of playing on an easier difficulty.

As the title says, I'm trying to play this unmodded. I'm only using the edbUI and more hair mode, so nothing which would change the game's balance.

I usually die fairly early in the game at the 3rd 4th maybe 6th raider wave. The main problem I can see is the weapons. I just dont get any. Traders do supply power armors If I survive the first waves, but I just cant fight with basic pistols against m16 and sniper rifles, aspecially that they r usually 2-3 times more then my guys.

Usually I tried to not wall in, and let them come, but they just overwhelm me this way. Last time I made a wall and a nice kill box at the front to handle anything, then ofc the raids stopped and I got defeated via sieges. I tried to go out but again the weapon difference is just too big to handle.

Oh yea, and I'm playing on a flat map, cuz it feels like everybody is just playing on a high mountain map, and just dig in.. boring ^^

I'm open for any suggestion, and also looking for lets play videos which contain alpha 7 unmodded exreme difficulties. Sadly everybody seems to play just on challenge, at least most of the videos I found were like that on youtube.

before the main killbox is finished, i mostly rely on exploding turret rooms. (a 5x5 room with a turret in the center, an entrance at a corner and an exit at it's opposite corner) which leads to the only entrance to my base.

there's also a way to exploit the AI by hiding outside of the base and waiting for the enemies to start attacking parts of the structure (mostly the main door entrance), and then force firing on a single target (stragglers first), picking them off one at a time while they're too distracted to retaliate.

just don't forget to leave at least one repairer (armored melee) inside the base to prolong the door lifespan before it breaks.

also, research and build stone early on. relying on other materials for walls and doors, often gets you killed if building an open area base.

to get stone walls early on, just claim and deconstruct all of the wall ruins scattered across the map. it usually gives you enough stone blocks to get things started.

you can also "onion skin" stone walls rather than building it thick. sometimes you don't even need to fight. you just repair the outer walls and wait for the enemies to retreat (for non-mechs).

as for mech ships. surround it with wood walls and keep a single tile with a colonist inside (build it thick if you want). this usually allows a single person to destroy the ship without getting interrupted by mechs spawning nearby.

as for the mechs themselves. just wait for them to start melee attacking a structure, then rush armored melee units to raep them. (effectiveness varies based on size of doomstack)