Maintenance Droids (slower than normal pawns, can break down, use metals)

Started by cappie, November 06, 2013, 01:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willow512

Quote from: Renham on November 08, 2013, 08:21:39 AMso dont tell me dudethe context you couldnt do that... they can mine build solar panels, generators, batteries, so droids isnt that hard to imagine.
That's actually a good point. :)

Still game balance wise it might be better not to be able to produce your own "colonists".

Sky_walker

Self-sustaining colony with hydroponic glasshouses.

Renham

in terms of balance yes, but as they are not as strong as colonist requiere maintenance constantly and an energy source to function... they wouldnt perform as a normal colonist.

consider this, a droid performance would be lower than the average person performance, untill, you especialize the droid to do a certain job... when you do this their performance will be as good a normal colonist, thou they wont perform any other task than that.

the other thing is a low chance event in which the droid becomes self concius and becomes a sort of colonist.
or become rebel to your negative to release them.

if you can imagine it I can build it with pixels.
if I cant well then imagine something else.

nja

Quote from: Robitski on November 08, 2013, 06:26:30 AM
I think you're looking for a city-building game with contracts, missions and droids, not an isolated getusoutofhere colony simulator :L

Granted, a lot of people have widely varied expectations for what they're looking for in the game.

NephilimNexus

Quote from: Antares [UK] on November 08, 2013, 05:04:43 AM
It is a dream colony - Just me, mad-scientist, and army of my droids: protecting the base, growing crops, mining uranium and building more droids!

This will end badly

Renham

so... lets summ up

Droid technology: will need lots of research to reach a point in which you can build your own.
most likely to have to study some other droid first or other technology before starting.
*will take lots of time, so you will need to dedicate various cientists to increase research speed.

droids will be sort of expensive, need maintenance and not be as strong as a normal colonist.
droids wont be as good as a colonist in performance.

they can be upgraded to perform a single work but properly.
so you can have

-miner droid
-combat droid
-science droid
-medical droid
-construction droid
-field droid

when a droid is specialized in a certain type of job, they wont perform any other unless they suffer a modification

-droids will requiere to recharge their batteries to work and a handler, a sort of robot master will be in charge to give orders to a group of droids

*they will have some events considered

1- 0.5% they have a very low chance to group in two and wander off looking for some guy called ben kenobi, they may return some time with a good story to share.

2- 0.5% they will start a revolution, they will demand their freedom, if you refuse to give them their freedom they will arm themselves and fight their way out.
*once free and this even occurs you will have some visit of a droid trade ship selling stuff very cheap.
   you may also contact a droid colony at some point after this event.
*if they scape in a violent way, you may suffer a droid raid attack at some point.

3- 0.5% a military ship will contact you asking you to surrender all your droids because they are looking for a couple of fugitive droids containing critical information.
*if you character has high charisma can answer, these arent the robots you are looking for.
*you may also start a combat if you give a hostile answer
*with a high level scientist you may trade technology in exchange for the droid memory database.
*with a high level of commerce you may sell all your droids for a good price.

4- 0.8% one of your droids will become self concious, he will be able to learn and socialy interact with the colonists, this may increase the chance of the robot revolution event in a 3%

*self concious droids auto upgrade themselves to become self powered therefore wont need to recharge their batteries but will need to shut down for 3 hours a day.
*they may suffer metal breakdowns

Droids may get damaged during solar flares, they will be shut down and may also get permanently destroyed, even the self concious ones.

Badly damage droids may cause big explotions due to battery performations.

Some variations or alternate droid type:

maintenance droids, they will only repair stuff, not much other than that. they are chaper and can repair themselves and other droids, althou they will need resources to do so.

stationary defense droids, they will roam arround the perimeter and attack the hostile, not much firepower, and kinda weak, they just float arround looking for trouble, also they are cheap and dispensable.
if you can imagine it I can build it with pixels.
if I cant well then imagine something else.

cappie

This community is soooo full of good idea's.. we really need a better way to channel all this creative information, maybe in the form of a wiki or something similar to 'getsatisfaction' (that system Mojang used to find out which new feature should be implemented first by having users pitch their ideas and others voting it up or down).

cappie

Sky_walker

Quote from: cappie on November 09, 2013, 12:17:50 PM
This community is soooo full of good idea's.. we really need a better way to channel all this creative information, maybe in the form of a wiki or something similar to 'getsatisfaction' (that system Mojang used to find out which new feature should be implemented first by having users pitch their ideas and others voting it up or down).
Forum is good enough. Wiki == edit wars.
And we already had a discussion about "what should be implemented first" - last time I checked a final conclusion was to leave it up to Tynan. It's his game, let HIM follow his needs and wishes. Last thing we want is huge pressure from community demanding feature X or feature Y implemented.
Self-sustaining colony with hydroponic glasshouses.