Prisoners, NPCs, Organs, Atmosphere, and more!

Started by Klldarkness, October 14, 2014, 07:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klldarkness

Hi there! So, a bit of this was originally posted as a mod request, but it was suggested that I post them to the suggestion area as well, as they go here better:

1. Visitors get injured! I can't save them, without incurring the wrath of their faction, which seems really weird to me.  I'm not exactly a humanitarian, but I have ALOT of medkits. The option to heal them where they lay, or move them to the medical beds would be awesome. Perhaps by healing them, and letting them go, you even get a faction bonus?

2. Prisoners. I can't release them, as far as I know. It's either convince them to stay, harvest their organs, or flat out kill them. The option to release them wouldn't go unused, I assure you.

3. When I detain a lone traveler/visitor, their faction miraculously knowing, and becoming my enemy is ridiculous. If there were 2, and one managed to make a run for it, escaping off the map, I would completely understand that. If there isn't someone to witness it, their faction shouldn't know what happened. Perhaps instead of enemies, it's a reputation drop? If my tribe members kept going missing when they visited your camp, i'd be suspicious as well. But I wouldn't condemn you for it till I know what the issue is.

4. Organ harvesting from corpses. While naturally harvesting more than a few hours after they died wouldn't make sense, but within half a day, maybe more if kept on ice, and that would make sense.

5. Prisoner escapes. They try to attack, and escape. Sitting in a room, waiting to die, or be convinced to join is a bit weird. Especially with some of the back stories. Please fix? Dx

---------------------------

I did some more playing, and came up with a few more things that would be interesting, and make the gameplay more realistic/ or just more fun/random in general.

1. Atmosphere. It makes very little sense that every planet you crash on have a breathable atmosphere, ground that can handle crops, and good ole H2O.

Imagine if you crash land on a new rimworld, and the atmosphere contains only 50% the oxygen earth has? Permanent lethargy till you research and build, or buy, re-breather systems. This also opens up the possibility of building oxygen producing machines that fill connected buildings and whatnot, with oxygen, so you don't need to wear masks inside.

Or you crash land, hop out, and instantly start suffocating because the atmosphere is mostly methane.
(Perhaps keep this possibility to the higher challenge modes?)

All rain is acid rain, meaning metal items outside need constant repair after rain and storms.

The atmosphere is much thicker than your escape pods are meant for, and one of your three people burn up on entry.

There is alot that can be done with just this single idea, and I would love feedback on it.

2. Right now, when you buy a slave, they join your little group like a full member. I think there should be a choice given. They can be a full member, OR, they get stuck doing menial jobs. Cooking. Cleaning. Growing stuff? Make the slave trade a bit more realistic, since we get debuffs for selling prisoners into slavery.

3. New event! While mining, you uncover a pocket of poisonous gas. It floods the local area.

Any and all comments, suggestions, ideas, conjecture, and whatnot is welcome!

EarthyTurtle

Most of these have been suggested or brought up in threads before I believe, especially Visitor healing.

1) Been suggested by many before including myself, I assume tynan got the message by now, but we'll see what the future holds.

2) Harvest their organs and let them die of natural causes :D. lol but seriously, in terms of gameplay I wouldn't be oppose to this, personally wouldn't use it much but I'm not oppose to it.

3) It has been suggested before and would make sense, but I think if that were the case you'd need something to offset it majorly or people could abuse it. Perhaps a success rate 50% or less. And even then imprisoned travellers would be much much harder to convert. If you can steal people without serious repercussions then people would do it all the time.

4) Been suggested before. Idk how I feel about it, it could easily become abusable to earn insane amounts of silver very quickly. Either that or it would be pointless, a few hours in rimworld is a very short time.

5) This has also been suggested before I believe. Sorta do have it with cabin fever etc, but if your living in a 5 star cell getting food everyday and your every whim catered for it might just be they enjoy leading the easy life. maybe.

1) Not in favour personally. I like the feel of the game, it's very firefly like in regards that most planets have been terraformed to support human life. We can safely say their terraformed because oak trees, how else would a plant like this be growing here? Deer, animals brought over by humans during colonization. More than that if a Rimworld planet had only 50% of the oxygen concentration earth has then your colonists would probably die.
WARNING SCIENCE INBOUND
Earth has an atmospheric concentration of about 78% nitrogen and 20.9% oxygen, the rest is trace elements like CO2, Xenon, etc. At 50% of the concentration we are looking at 10.45%. At levels at or below 17%, your mental abilities become impaired (forget researching and science). When levels drop to 16% or below, noticeable changes to your beings while levels under 14% will cause extreme exhaustion from physical activity. Once levels drop below 10%, you may become very nauseous or lose consciousness. Humans won't survive with levels at 6% or lower.

So your talking about conditions that would not only be troublesome, but hostile to human life. A planet that in respect would end your game before it began. To me, this is a story of luck, your colonists landed on a planet with oxygen levels good enough to support human existence.

2) I'm not sure what the point would be... wouldn't they be grateful to be freed? why would they refuse to join when clearly they have absolutely no place else to go and I would imagine they don't want to return to their slaver vessel. So me the current slaver system is fine, you spend money to liberate these people and offer them a home. This would probably be the best thing that would have ever happened to them since getting enslaved, probably tortured, beaten, violated, threatened and promised to some raiders who want them to do the menial work or worse.
To me the idea of asking them to become full members or become slaves is kinda pointless. They are slaves already, your just removing the shackles.

3)Actually already suggested this one myself on another thread. Wouldn't mind more events to happen underground.

Mikhail Reign

I hardly see how you are 'removing the shackle' when you buy slaves. When they land you give them a job. They either do it or die. It's not like they have the ability to leave (unless they'd tal break).

It's kinda like 'Hi! Congratulations of not being a slave no more! Now get outside and start working in my cotton fields before I sell you to the next guy who comes along!'

Commander Beanbag

You can already sort of release prisoners. If they have an open path to the edge of the map, they'll make a break for it. You can always give them this path and they'll take it (I think).

Minus

I like all of these. Had a friendly die as I couldn't help him just today. The oxygen and acid rain stuff I see as a short term problem that'd ultimately help protect you form raiders. It'd be something they'd have to get through to get to you, which I think would balance out how much trouble it is for your own colonists.
But the chance of one of your guys burning up at the start of the game? No player is gonna say "Oh cool" and keep playing. They're going to be mad and say "Do you know how long I spent randomising him until he was perfect?!" And then restart the game. Besides, playing the game with 3 colonists is hard enough. Only 2 and everything goes madly slow. 1 and you can't risk ever being hurt.

Quote from: Commander Beanbag on October 16, 2014, 12:34:11 AM
You can already sort of release prisoners. If they have an open path to the edge of the map, they'll make a break for it. You can always give them this path and they'll take it (I think).
That's allowing them to escape, not setting them free. And if your prison is behind several walls, it's not always that easy to make an opening. Even if it is the same thing mechanically, it doesn't feel as good knowing they fled rather than left.

Our cybernetic hearts mean we care more!
Mods: Extended Surgery and Bionics, Brain Surgery, Medical XP Balance

TrashMan

If you want a reprocusion for kidnapping people, the most sensible one is BETRAYL.

Freshly "recruited" prisoners have a chance to high-tail it at some point (when they are outside) and warn their faction.
The happier they are and the longer they spent, the smaller the chance.
This applies to people you kidnap/hold against their will.
People you rescue do not apply unless you force them to stay.

They would stay with you until they are full healed (or a bit longer), you can argue they want to gather their strength for the journey home and they might decide to stay.