Different kind of traits, reactions...

Started by 6_Sic_6, October 15, 2014, 07:42:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6_Sic_6

Hi everyone, first of all, IDK if this topic has been treated before, sorry if it has been, but im not going to read every page of this forum... And sorry for my English, I didn't practice from a while.

These days I was reading a lot of Rimworld things at Reddit and I found several threads about organ farms, harvesting from prisioners and selling them at slave traders... Sounds amazing to me (well, it's really disgusting and obnoxious), because it adds new options to the game.

I didn't try this yet, but some people said that colonist suffer from penalties when we command this despicable tasks.

I started to think about this, about "who we are in the game". The colonists have to do this horrible things, even if they dont want to. We are like a boss, we give them instructions, and they only respond with mood penalties. If we push them to the limit, they get mad and we have to arrest them.

So, first I thought that they can feel free to leave the settlement if they think it's not the place for them. They need to do different things than getting mad when bad things happen.

And this organ farm thing is something that can be defended. For example, if a raider that tried to kill us gets wounded and arrested, and it's sold to a slave trader, you can think "It's horrible, even for a guy like him", or on the other side "He deserves it... I dont care. Actually I feel better"

And i get to the conclusion that maybe, the colonist needs more traits, for example, what they think about prisioners management, death penaltys. Other things, like religion may be included. Im not asking to just add more traits to the pool, im saying that only 2 are not enough. Only two traits cannot define a person. And also, they need more ways to react to things. For example, lock themselves into their rooms because they are depressed, leaving the colony because disagreement about the policies (grabbing maybe a few meals, stealing some silver...)

Matthiasagreen

The trait system would have to be reworked, but what about a personality section which lists a whole list of things that could happen in game and if the person has a postive, negative, or neutral reaction to it. For example:

Prisoner sold: Neutral
Colonist sold: Negative
Using melee weapon: Positive
Using distance weapon: Negative.
ETC....

This could make for a more dynamic type of character, as well as more variety. You would have to get to know your characters a lot better as well in order to keep track of these things. It could even be more dynamic have have extra positivies and extra negatives to differentiate between the sanguine type reaction and the iron will reaction.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...