Multiplayer

Started by Zknar, September 25, 2013, 02:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eberkain

My wife and I would love to get some multiplayer in this game.  It could be as simple as we each get some colonists on the same map and build together.  Need to be able to make stockpiles shared or private.  Probably a couple other things, can't think of them right now.

LCCX

Quote from: Tynan on September 25, 2013, 05:58:00 PM
If I did multiplayer I think it would be in a co-op context.
[...]
If we had several players working together, however (say, on the same colony, or in allied colonies close together), they could experience the AI Storyteller's stories together
I think that RimWorld would be a greater game if people could experience these stories together as they happened, rather than needing to tell others about it afterwards. Something as "simple" as all players controlling the game as-is would be perfect -- no additional colonies, factions, or anything. I really, really hope this can happen at some point in the future. It's the difference between trying to tell someone how cool the original Portal storyline and gameplay is, and playing through Portal 2 with them. It's the difference between showing someone some screenshots of the home you built in Minecraft while trying to explain Creepers, and building a walled town together with your friends. It's how games as a medium are fundamentally different from books, music, and movies -- games can provide shared experiences.

LCCX

Quote from: Galileus on November 21, 2013, 11:51:28 AM
QuoteIts a far way even to consider the implementation of a multiplayer, but as I already mentioned people will not stop asking for it just because of that.
I think its more usefull to discuss about the features a multiplayer should have rather to tell every new user making his way in this thread, that multiplayer would not be a good idea at this stage. There will be thousands of these guys - as I was one too^^- i think.

Well, there is a good part to it - if these new bloods understand why having multiplayer at this stage is not so great idea, they can then rely it to other newbloods ;) And discussing multiplayer ideas is all great - but I would much rather see it in it's own right and in it's own topic, otherwise it'll get buried away in here anyway. And I really think it's good to keep your community informed what are the option before you - if we're all on the same page, we can much easier sort some thing out ourselves. Tynan already stated multiplayer is a possibility much later down the road - now it's something community has to consider and abide by. And if you just let these newbloods come with the same great idea yet again and again, Tynan will be forced to address the same topic again and again eventually. You can't blame them - this is what newbloods do. But if we - as a community - have discussed this topic before and came to an agreement over it, it's our job to let newcomer in on it. Rely the knowledge, if you will.

By no means am I suggesting that my view here is the community consensus in any way - I don't think one has formed as of yet. I don't watch this one specific thread very closely. Still, I believe my reasoning is sound, it's definitely in line with Tynans plans as we know them - so why not put it out on the table and let it sink in? If community is able to educate itself by means of discussion, a lot more stuff that comes Tynan's way is then well polished and though-out.

But then again, this is my personal take on it, and you don't need to agree with it ;)
If we don't keep asking for it and bumping up this thread, then how will Tynan know how much we want it?  ;D
I'd agree that the game probably has a ways to go still before adding multiplayer is worth the time and effort (which, ignorantly/naively I am assuming to be quite substantial). As for the potential features of multiplayer:

What is the point of adding multiplayer? RimWorld, being a top-down RTS control-style game would not exceptionally benefit from multiplayer due to any kind of altered challenge state (think of the difference between Portal and Portal 2 and how having two players made possible some puzzles that were literally impossible without two players).
Other top-down RTS control-style games (Age of Empires, StarCraft, Total Annihilation, etc.) have multiplayer and a focus on competitive and team-co-op play. However, many of those games have a focus on combat and relatively short games/matches (30-90 minutes) in which competition makes some sense, including the game's notional story context. RimWorld would not exceptionally benefit from competitive play because the core of the game is taking a few [un?]lucky survivors and either creating a thriving colony or escaping back into star travel. This backdrop involves the pawns needing to cooperate to succeed and it makes the most sense if multiple players also had to cooperate to succeed.

So if multiplayer RimWorld would at its best be cooperative, then what does that cooperation look like? There is one overriding decision that must be made and can't really go both ways without making two different kinds of multiplayer: Are players on the same game sector map (the one with trees and animals, not the planet one), or not?

... ... ...
More to come later; it's 1am here.

Elixiar

Like fallout and skyrim, a strong solo experience just fits the style better.

Sometimes single player is enough. Id rather see other things worked on as multiplayer would be a big project as it is.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

eberkain

Quote from: Elixiar on April 17, 2015, 04:16:51 AM

Sometimes single player is enough. Id rather see other things worked on as multiplayer would be a big project as it is.

I agree that it should not be the immediate focus, but it definitely should be on the list. 

LCCX

Quote from: eberkain on April 17, 2015, 07:36:10 AM
Quote from: Elixiar on April 17, 2015, 04:16:51 AM

I agree that it should not be the immediate focus, but it definitely should be on the list.
Yeah, I don't think anyone is arguing yet that multiplayer should come now, or next, or soon. I'm tentatively hoping maybe in 2016.

I am strongly arguing though that cooperative multiplayer is a very important feature to have eventually. Single player RimWorld is fun now, is getting better, and can easily be a good single player game. Adding cooperative multiplayer is something that can, after that point, make it a *great* game if executed/added well.

LCCX

Quote from: LCCX on April 17, 2015, 01:23:13 AM
So if multiplayer RimWorld would at its best be cooperative, then what does that cooperation look like? There is one overriding decision that must be made and can't really go both ways without making two different kinds of multiplayer: Are players on the same game sector map (the one with trees and animals, not the planet one), or not?
What, at most, could players do without playing synchronously on the same map?

• Players could see the planet sector information of each other's colonies.
  • Players could see each other's colonies' resources/wealth or a subset thereof (e.g. trade beacon contents).
  • Players could see each other's colony maps at any point in time (e.g. delayed, once-a-day snapshot).
  • Players could see a colony map in real time.
  • Players could trade or share resources (possibly including pawns).
  • Players could control or influence the storyteller.
However, to these points I would ask:

• What value is there in simply seeing other players' colonies in-game instead of on Twitch.TV or screenshots on Imgur?
  • How does enabling player resource sharing or trading improve the balance or experience of RimWorld, and how is it different from using the development tools to create and destroy a few stacks of stuff? What would it add to the game beyond "I'll give my little brother some extra meals because he need them"? Would random strangers trade with each other instead of the current trading system, or only at more favorable exchange rates?
  • Which players would be permitted to control or influence the storyteller, and how would this option improve the game rather than just boiling down to either "I'll keep the mechanoids away from my little brother" or "grief artillery brigade! LOL!"?
  • Does the date or age of players' colonies matter (e.g. get limited/restricted) when interacting?
I don't think that any of this improves the balance of RimWorld. I think that permitting player trade could decrease balance. I don't think that this would significantly improve the experience of RimWorld. There is just not much here to share in and the interactions fall between "minimal" and "irrelevant".

I think cooperative multiplayer RimWorld *must* have players on the same game sector map for it to be worthwhile. In addition to the previous list, on the same map:

• Players will see everything in real time.
  • Players could control orders, bills, etc. for all pawns, or only "theirs".
  • Players could force-control (i.e. set immediate preference, draft) all pawns, or only "theirs".
  • Players could send pawns to "visit" each other if they were separately controlled.
Literally playing together permits interaction which Twitch.TV and screenshots do not. Playing on the same map at the same time removes mismatched colony progress issues. Seeing everything in real time means any influence on the Storyteller can be seen immediately -- it is more than negligibly interactive -- and because you've joined a game together you likely know the other player(s) personally and so griefing should not be a problem. Together, these add up to a shared experience, which is one of the strengths of games as a cultural/artistic medium.

Playing on the same map leads to a binary choice of either all players can control the whole colony, or not and somehow separate ownership is established. I'd prefer simply permitting full control of everything because I feel that has the least effect on game balance (all you do is add to the total "player attention" resource, which almost doesn't matter since we can pause the game without restriction). I do realize there is some value in "ownership" and competition, so perhaps segregated control (multiple factions/colonies for multiple players) could come after the initial multiplayer pass.

Renham

I'd love to see it in a competitive kind of context, for instance create an online play map, and you and your friends can build their colonies, you can decide to be friendly or not to anyone, I dont think killing other players colonist would be okay, but maybe steal resources, damage equipment and maybe capture a colonist, other option would be full cooperative and a dragon's dogma like system in which you can send reinforcement to a friend's settlement to help in battle and construction and you can give some item as payment afterwards.
if you can imagine it I can build it with pixels.
if I cant well then imagine something else.

There are plenty of MMO's, multiplayer RTSs, multiplayer this, multiplayer that.  Frankly and personally, I hate multiplayer.  Multiplayer to me is "get off the computer and go outside."

I like games like RimWorld, Skyrim, Fallout, Ultima, etc for it's strong single-player mechanics which (a) don't translate to multi-anything, (b) when attempts are made to make such games multiplayer they end up with watered down mechanics or (b) the game is just boring and repetitive (WoW is so bloody boring).

If multiplayer functionality does come to RimWorld, I'll just end up blocking it in my firewall or not using it at all like GTA V.

I play computer games to escape people, why would I want a bunch of people around?
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.