Multiplayer

Started by Zknar, September 25, 2013, 02:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMAN80SS

If multiplayer were implemented in a single world and everyone worked in the same way with the same methods to reach the same goals things would get rather messy and a pvp situation would be very hard to avoid.

Eg; Farmers harvesting and stealing crops and storing them in personal stockpiles, compact iron being finite, animals being finite ('ish) and friendly fire from laps in ai actions...

Triblade

Quote from: TMAN80SS on September 03, 2015, 10:57:34 AM
If multiplayer were implemented in a single world and everyone worked in the same way with the same methods to reach the same goals things would get rather messy and a pvp situation would be very hard to avoid.

Eg; Farmers harvesting and stealing crops and storing them in personal stockpiles, compact iron being finite, animals being finite ('ish) and friendly fire from laps in ai actions...
Sounds like you have only one character?

I discussed co-op in one team, so nothing like there would be PVP or FF possible anyway.  ;)

Even if there would be separate teams, just don't be able to harvest from crop's you didn't grow, increase drops, increase respawn rates etc.  :P

TMAN80SS

More so talking about having 5 people each running around doing their own thing and having veritable amounts of chaos. But i guess just simple forbid zoning would handle all of that posh.  :D

Anduin1357

Why not just give all of them different teams and all their separate colony attributes (basically no shared colony control) for a start?

Finite metal can be solved by either going 3D or to other areas in the overworld. Trading can also help.

"Even if there would be separate teams, just don't be able to harvest from crop's you didn't grow"

You can harvest from crops you didn't grow... As part of PVP.

"...increase drops..."

I think that there are far too many drops from the AI raiders as it stands, admit it, you're selling their weapons, clothing, organs, flesh...

"...animals being finite ('ish)"

Just add migration from other areas etc... Make use of the overworld.

"...friendly fire from lapses in ai actions(...)"

With as big a deal as without multiplayer to begin with.
Besides, there is no distinction between shooting your friend and shooting a raider.

"More so talking about having 5 people each running around doing their own thing and having veritable amounts of chaos."
That's kinda what always happens in shared control multiplayer.
else
That's the point of multiplayer. (if "people" refers to the controlling players.)

Schorschie

Heyho, (ex ante: excuse my English-skills, its not my mother tongue.)

Suggestion: why not skip the problems with 2 or more colonies on one area and went a step down so there would be no "game-mechanic" problems.

Nice would already be the possibility to trade with and/or raid human driven villages on the same planet. So, most of the time, the players can develop independent of each other (also time independent to minimize the need of synchronization).

From time to time they can send trade parties to the neighbor and exchange goods. Maybe later in progress could a freight-ship be built to speed the exchange up.

What do you think? :-)

Jstank

I like the idea that you could do a loose sort of multiplayer (sim city style) with each colony being in a common world. You can trade with other colonies, send them raiding parties, or just give give up a colonist to give to them. The raiding party wouldn't be directly controlled by the player however. They would show up as a normal raid that is rated in difficulty according to normal raiding mechanics. The difference is that one of the raiders in the group is actually a colonist from the other colony. If the raiding party is successful in capturing someone, that capture is returned to the colony as a prisoner. If the colonist dies then he is dead. If he is injured, then he returns with his injuries. The raid would show up when the receiving colony logs on. The message would be you are being attacked by player colony x.

Of course this would only be if you choose to be in a multiplayer server that obviously wouldn't be able to be hosted by the developer because reasons.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

skellitor301

One idea I had for multiplayer is instead of playing in the same area/map, each player can play their own maps in the same world, much like how there are other factions and pirates around the world. You can trade with other players through the existing trade system, and you can send your colonists to other player's bases, either to visit, assist, or attack, just that you wont have direct control over them as they will be transferred to the other players map. Not to mention the data transfer rate between a server and each client would be minuscule, as the only things that would really be transferred would be trade data, colonist data, messages, etc, no realtime map data would need to be exchanged

Toggle

Quote from: skellitor301 on March 16, 2016, 04:25:27 PM
One idea I had for multiplayer is instead of playing in the same area/map, each player can play their own maps in the same world, much like how there are other factions and pirates around the world. You can trade with other players through the existing trade system, and you can send your colonists to other player's bases, either to visit, assist, or attack, just that you wont have direct control over them as they will be transferred to the other players map. Not to mention the data transfer rate between a server and each client would be minuscule, as the only things that would really be transferred would be trade data, colonist data, messages, etc, no realtime map data would need to be exchanged

And here's the forum necromancer, reviving a dead thread. I've thought about the trading part of what you said before, not sending colonists tho. But they'd exist in different years and time periods, and for them to trade resources would have to put up a menu freezing both games until one cancels or both accept, but would also require inputting both users of the communicators social skill for prices if automatic.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Anduin1357

Quote from: skellitor301 on March 16, 2016, 04:25:27 PM
Might as well exchange realtime state-change data and allow players to control their colonists otherwise,  the crappy raider AI might as well kill them.

skellitor301

Well, one easy way to understand it is think of clash of clans. I personally dont play it but I have friends who do, and you can send support to friends through that.

And yes, I know the thread is old, but it's better than making another thread about the same thing

Anduin1357

I don't think anyone wants to risk colonists being lost due to crappy AI management. Loading maps and interactive data doesn't take up too much bandwidth anyways.

Larn

hm.... after u build your ship u can explore other planets and on other planets is another player strandet and build his base, u can attack/visit him sounds nice hehe..

Anduin1357

Too little of a planet to explore? Need more adventure?
Build a Stargate.
No seriously.

One server, one planet is good enough for Rimworld multiplayer.
If you really want multi-planet wars, go and make a society.
Why are you even trying to build a spaceship?
-_-

Playbahnosh

I envision multiplayer in Rimworld like SS13 (Space Station 13, on Byond).

Every player would play a colonist and would need to work together to accomplish things. The specifics are a bit murky, but it would suit the game I think.

The difference is, in SS13 the map (eg. the space station itself) is already given and the players fill different pre-determined roles and jobs on the station. I guess Rimworld's colonists could develop a social structure and appoint a leader to issue tasks, much like the Captain and department heads in SS13, but it would more open-ended.

SS13 is also round-based, and while rounds can last up to several hours on certain servers and rulesets, Rimworld's gameplay is practically infinite, so people disconnecting and maybe returning need to be handled somehow. SS13 explains away people disconnecting and reconnecting with in-game lore: SSD as in Space Sleep Disorder which is a side-effect of spending a long time off planet, and basically means anyone at any point could randomly fall into a very deep coma-like sleep for any amount of time and also randomly awaken. This could work in Rimworld, or maybe the disconnecting colonists could be taken over by the AI until the player returns. Maybe.

Well, there are obviously many kinks to work out, and multiplayer is really far off anyway, but this could be an idea.

DaGirrafeMan

Guys, I'm new to this replying thing so please don't judge me if I do things differently. But I've loved this game for a while :). Ever since alpha 2, I've loathed it. Waiting for it to come out on steam. And here I am, in the ludeon community.

But anyways, would it be really hard to implement multiplayer? I mean, I guess with the time control buttons it would cause problems. Providing a "non-shitty" MP aspect would be difficult. Not just that, but keeping a well known balance between MP and SP. If MP doesn't work, why make it...

But let's say we were to have a story teller vs. Colonist mode. I feel like that would be a marvelous idea. It would fit in with Tynan's "story telling" requirements and with some cool downs for certain costs and such. You would be able to cast story events that could lead to the colonist's down fall or for the good. I could see it being an excellent idea.

Cost points: Raids, (there's even a point system if you look into development mode expressing how hard they could be) Eclipse, Solar Flares (Not so much points), Sieges, Manhunter packs, Toxic Fallouts

Gives: Colonists joining colony, Cargo Pods that are useful, Psychic Soothe,

And then you'd have some that would be kind of like a mixture of both. Like the "thrumbo" event, what would that be in?

Besides, we can already technically become a story teller if you count development mode! So why not putting a simple little game with your friends where it would be easy.

Once again, intrigued about this topic. It's an amazing idea, and I can't wait to see if Tynan gives any thought to it.

But multiple cells, as the man in one of the previous pages said, is not a bad idea either. Like multiple areas where colonists would be settling. Adding rogue like options or not? (Ya know, pvp.)

That's cool. If you have any opinion, please share so I can know things. Once again, I am not the best at rimworld. I just love the feeling of telling my family stories about the game. xD