Multiplayer

Started by Zknar, September 25, 2013, 02:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BattleFate

I... really like the idea of crash landing new another set of three survivors who also crash landed (don't know where they are in relation to us, but we eventually meet). Perhaps they are allies, willing to work together. Perhaps they prefer a live and let live relationship, but secretly we're competing to get the same resources. Perhaps it's a new source of raids... You never know until you meet them.

I like the idea of multiplayer. I prefer if it's not bound to a specific type, like it has to be co-op, or it has to be versus... Let the players choose. You never know, maybe that bitter rival who you're always competing with, will come to your aid last minute when you need it most because pirates have incapacitated most of your base and are about to overrun you... That's a story I can imagine cropping up in rimworld, and one I'd love to narrate after the fact here on the forums.

Trensicourt

If there was multi-player, then there should be a fog of war, but it was removed unfortunately in the previous versions.
WHAT IS RIM WORLD? A RAIDER DEATH BALL. LITERALLY.

Jaszczur

Maybe a multiplayer like in new SimCity game?

Merry76

Quote from: Jaszczur on August 27, 2014, 03:05:13 AM
Maybe a multiplayer like in new SimCity game?

That turned out to be such a good game, right?

No it didnt. And it had more programmers to code it. And it needs servers to be playable.

Cr0ss0vr

It could be amazing to be able to scroll to the edge of your landing map and be able to take a raiding party to the adjacent zone, doing this could be a good way to setup a local-ish multiplayer (a dedicated server for a group of people). I have at least 7 people that i'd like to be able to trade with and i think it could be amazing...

tiba666

would love this game with a coop ^^

ZephyrSly

hmmm...

I think the best way to implement multiplayer in Rimworld is to have multiple players control only specific colonists.

So say you and your friends' colonists landed on the planet (maybe you would land in opposite corners in multiplayer?), and you decided not to be helping each other. You all start your colonies, building into mountains or out in the open or whatever.
Then the first pirate raid comes along, and the seperate colonies have to decide whether they would help each other, or allow each other to be annihalated by the raiders...
Then there is a crop blight! will the colonies help each other by sharing food, or watch each other starve to death?

and so on!
I think multiplayer would be a pretty cool addition, but I can think of a bunch of other additions that really need to be there first.
SHOOGER, LOTS OF SHOOGER. AND BLUE MALK.

Silushun

I think start out with the basics, a mini form of Co-Op where you and lets say 1-3 Friends can form a map and play in sections where the creator saves the game when everyone wants to leave.

Obviously we'd need a bigger map Radius of what we can play under, or even Sectors we can travel through? Whilst I find this game awesome and I like the aspect of survival and rebuilding what was lost (I've been watching abit of The 100). My friend won't play it because its Singleplayer but he likes the look of the game.

I guess you could add it as with what MineCraft did, the beginning is ultra buggy but of course playable and over time it fixes up and becomes a beast.

I look forward to a Co-Op game mode though. :)

bullwinkle

Soooo... All of you play one colony in a matter of a few hours? How would you play a colony in multiplayer for more then one computer session? I for one play a colony over the course of a few days, 2-4 hours a day. How would you manage that with co-op on the same map?  Also the time controls would be out the window, which I use quite frequently.

I do like the idea of co-op but not on the same map. My suggestion for co-op would be to use the world. Have a server for each world, you join a server(world) pick a spot like you do now and play like you do in single player. The co-op would come in when you start trading and if it's implemented, receiving or giving help to other players who are also online.
This would allow you to use time controls, have your own story, play when you want, and have co-op. Worlds could last for a long time this way. You could have each world with say 20 players that trade and help each other. When your colony dies or you leave the world your forced to go to another spot in the world. Limit the amount of colonies to the number of players allowed on server so there isn't a bunch of abandoned colonies sitting vacant. Erase colonies that have been unused for a certain time. So more people can join the world. 

EDIT. While helping other players with raids and what not, time controls would go out the window so it would be RTS but the only speed available would be the normal speed. Once the raid is over and your colonists go back to the colony your speed controls are back and you continue on.

Maybe other players could pay for your help also?

Oh another idea, instead of only being able to help with raids other players could hire some of your colonists for a fee to do some work for them. Say they need help building things quick but all their colonists are occupied, they send out a request to the world to hire a builder for a "in game month" for say 1000 silver. They control said colonist till the month is over then the colonist returns home. They would have to feed and have a place for them to sleep while there. Now they wouldn't be able to "capture" or "arrest" them to avoid greifing.

Or if all their colonists are sick/injured and they need doctors asap they could hire them. 

Any other way is game breaking IMO. Completely changes the game.

Mikhail Reign

Anyone heard of Hearts of Iron? That has multiplier and it can take months to complete a full game. It also has time compression. It simply runs at the slowest time chosen by all the players.

I would love some sort of PvP to this. The combat mechanics are too fun to waste on predictable and simplistic AI. What's the point of having awesome and dynamic combat mechanics when taking on AI normally boils down to forming a gun line and HOLD! Most raids use tatics more at home at a 19th century battlefield then a futuristic one.

Stryker

Well guys, if we really want multiplayer, just keep up the spamming, because as quoted on Rimworld Kickstarter:
"Will there be multiplayer?"

"It's possible; and if the community asks for it consistently I'll gladly put it in. But it's not immediately on the to-do list and it would be a significant amount of effort to do. For the near future, I want to work a lot more on fleshing out the library of events and the AI Storytellers."

For me:
My idea of Co-op is simply, each person controls his own group.

RawCode

Only viable option is multiple persons who control SAME colony.
One of players hosts map, others join and assist main player in controlling colony.

Assisting players can join and leave game at any time without any effects, including sessions loaded from age old save.
When player leave - snapshot of game state is saved, this allow that player to host save or play it alone at any time.

Everything else just cannot be implemented properly in current setting or provide zero benefits and obviously not fun to play.

Colony share co-op can be implemented as mod, everything required for this is network thread and simple protocol to exchange data from server to clients.

keylocke

Quote from: RawCode on November 09, 2014, 09:42:26 AM
Only viable option is multiple persons who control SAME colony.
One of players hosts map, others join and assist main player in controlling colony.

Everything else just cannot be implemented properly in current setting or provide zero benefits and obviously not fun to play.

woah.. i'm not sure if i'm reading a single person's "opinion" or totally absolute "facts"

it makes me feel like computer codes are written in stone or something.. lol.  ;D

RawCode

I had asked multiple times how time controls will work in MP.

I will ask again, how "pause" will be handled in MP especially in case of PvP combat?

ToXeye

One question is:
  Will singleplayer be one hosted multiplayer-server that a client joins,
  or will it be a separate game (game mode) all-together?
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\