[M|0.7.584] Butcher table "take to best stockpile" option not working

Started by Mystic, October 16, 2014, 09:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystic

In both builds of Alpha 7 (581 and 584), I have noticed that, after butchering an animal, the resulting meat and such is always dropped on the ground right there, rather than carried to a stockpile as it was in Alpha 6.  At first I'd thought this was a deliberate change since there are now cloth by-products of the butchering process, but I just learned about the Config screen for the butchering table having the option to either "drop on floor" or "take to best stockpile".  My setting is defaulted to the latter, but everything made at the butchering table is still being dropped on the floor.  I switched it to "drop on floor" just to see if the options may have become reversed, but this setting also has the butchering results dropped on the floor.

MaxWR

Yeah, I think you are right. That's probably an issue with butchering now producing two products instead of one so the colonist doesn't know what to do. Thankfully meat won't rot yet ^^

RawCode

crafting colonists should never haul anything, this counter productive.

you must have stockpile and designated hauler who will deliver goods from crafting stations to storage area.

Mystic

Quote from: RawCode on October 23, 2014, 05:34:00 PM
crafting colonists should never haul anything, this counter productive.

you must have stockpile and designated hauler who will deliver goods from crafting stations to storage area.

I'm not sure it is counter-productive, at least not for me.  I have a standard design where the butchering table is right outside the storeroom where the raw food is stored, and then on the other side of that room is the kitchen where the cooking takes place.  Prior to A7, the butcher would immediately bring any butchered meat into the storeroom, and then when the cook is cooking, the meat was right there and he didn't have to go far to get it.  Now, in A7, the butcher drops the meat on the ground, and then usually before any hauler gets around to hauling it (since you can't set haulers to prioritize certain types of hauling over others, and food seems to be pretty low on the list), the cook ends up going through the storeroom and outside to pick up meat to cook each meal, over and over again.  With a block of 75 meat, and when cooking fine meals, this means that the cook often makes about 14 wasted trips outside, grabbing 5 meat each time (15 trips total, as opposed to the 1 trip by the butcher that would have brought that whole pile of meat into the storeroom in A6).  Those extra trips slow down the overall cooking speed.

Cimanyd

Quote from: Mystic on October 23, 2014, 05:41:47 PM(since you can't set haulers to prioritize certain types of hauling over others, and food seems to be pretty low on the list)
What's hauled first is based on priorities. (important, preferred, etc.) Try setting your raw food stockpile's priority higher.

I assume "take to best stockpile" just doesn't work right currently with something that produces two kinds of things (meat and leather) since the colonist wouldn't be able to carry both. The "drop on floor"/"take to best stockpile" option always shows up, even when it can't be used; it's even there on a cremation bill.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

skullywag

I dont know why its just not, if crafter and hauler do the whole job. If just crafter dump on floor continue crafting.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Mystic

Quote from: Cimanyd on October 30, 2014, 06:17:57 PM
Quote from: Mystic on October 23, 2014, 05:41:47 PM(since you can't set haulers to prioritize certain types of hauling over others, and food seems to be pretty low on the list)
What's hauled first is based on priorities. (important, preferred, etc.) Try setting your raw food stockpile's priority higher.

I tried this in a game last night and it didn't seem to have any effect ... metal was being hauled to a stockpile with normal priority rather than food being hauled to a stockpile with the highest priority.  (In each case there was only the one stockpile accepting that type of item.)  But there may have been other factors at work ... I'm not sure yet.  I'll probably try it again sometime this weekend to see if I can verify this.

(I alway have thought that stockpile priority was used to determine which stockpile an item would be hauled to first if there are multiple stockpiles accepting that same item type.  I should probably test for that behavior as well.)

skullywag

You are correct in your assumption Mystic, its distance that everyone is looking for, they will find the first CLOSEST available thing to haul, fill their inventory with as much as they can or is available and then dump in the highest priority designation.

Cimanyd

Quote from: skullywag on October 31, 2014, 11:39:02 AM
You are correct in your assumption Mystic, its distance that everyone is looking for, they will find the first CLOSEST available thing to haul, fill their inventory with as much as they can or is available and then dump in the highest priority designation.
That can't be right, at least, not always. They'll go and haul human corpses to an "important" stockpile before doing anything else.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

skullywag

Quote from: Cimanyd on October 31, 2014, 02:10:33 PM
Quote from: skullywag on October 31, 2014, 11:39:02 AM
That can't be right, at least, not always. They'll go and haul human corpses to an "important" stockpile before doing anything else.

There are some "things" that are hardcoded to higher priority, corpses being one of them.