Share your outdoor Colony

Started by BassMonroe, October 17, 2014, 08:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BassMonroe

One thing i always seem to see on the forum is mountain colonies, does anybody build their colony outdoors?

If so then post a picture of your colony and show it off to the rest of us.

Personally i'm a big fan of building outdoors to start with and then tunnelling into mountains in the far late game. Although i'm posting this from work so cant get a pic of my colony Haha ;)

ShadowTani

I like to mix it up, but haven't gotten into the habit of taking pics, and my last flat-map colony (back in A6) is gone now savefile wise. >_<

On my current map I found a huge mountain valley inside the mountains where I ended up building my colony, so it's technically an outside colony! But yeah, I'm pretty sure it disqualifies due to it being enclosed by mountains, lol. x3

Shinzy

I've only had outdoor colonies since A6
but here's my alpha 7 colony!

only had 5 deaths so far, most raders I've managed to scare off by killing some of them
The gold pile on the grave is waiting for the Golden flowerpot, just can't afford all the gold yet for it
also need to make more 'better' graves for the rest 4 dead guys

Levin

My god! It's me! I'm there!

This may seem strange but it fills me with extreme joy and a sense of accomplishment to see my character in your game!

Even though he is only a meatshield :P

Shinzy

Quote from: Levin on October 17, 2014, 10:10:57 AM
My god! It's me! I'm there!

This may seem strange but it fills me with extreme joy and a sense of accomplishment to see my character in your game!

Even though he is only a meatshield :P
Oh! well in that case I'll make sure not to rename him then! ;D You're an optimist and can hold a gun so I'm sure you'll be up to worthy deeds yet!

ITypedThis

This is the colony I'm playing currently.

305 days in and I'm just now starting the wall.

Sorry about the mess. :P I just had a raid and with ten colonists in the hospital with malaria, cleaning it up isn't exactly top-priority.

Also solar flares.

postm00v

Shinzy

Quote from: postm00v on October 17, 2014, 05:39:34 PM
Do you guys play vanilla?
Not since I made my first mod =P but I try to keep as close to vanilla as possible, so I can test my mods better and don't get too distanced from the vanilla stuffs with all the changes
But one of these days imma try some of those biiig (or small) ones that really changes how the game works

ITypedThis

I do.

I've just never like to play with mods until I feel I've played all/most of what a game has to offer in its finished state. At this point in a game for me, I have also likely exhausted the replayibility(?) to the point where my interest has begun to fade.

christhekiller

I usually try to stay vanilla as this is early access and I don't really want to go reporting bugs that are only there because of a mod.

But I do have both of EdB's mods installed as they're fantastic

Evul

This is Rimtown on one of my worlds it have a rather interesting population development...
Currently trying to restore it again.

Commander Beanbag

Here's the last known picture of my colony, just as the nuclear reactor went up:

christhekiller

So this is my first non-cave dwelling colony in a long time. And... Well, I've been extremely lucky, more or less. I really don't know if I accidentally clicked some easier setting or the storyteller is just being extremely merciful, but yeah, usually I only get attacked by natives. And while they've gotten to the point where they just sort of splash over my defenses because there's so god damn many I'm able to make huge profits off of their weapons and clothing. And I haven't had a huge amount of disease affecting my colony. A few infections from prisoners who don't get treated with medicine, but that's about it more-or-less.

Just to the south there's another entrance to the colony that they've set up another kill box and to the west they've set aside an area for a battery rooms and solar panels should the need arise. Though they've got plenty of power from all their geothermal vents.

This is the main area, most of the work get's done here. Food is grown, cooked, and eaten. Resources are brought, worked on, either sold or used here. Also you can see the old prison here. It was moved because it only had space for 5 prisoners because there was a table and medical beds in there limiting space, also rampaging animals had a tendency to break in too easily.

The living area. The colony was started with four colonists and those four guys are still kicking. Though they have many scars to show for their time here they've been able to move themselves into larger, more luxurious homes (the leader even got a golden flower pot). There's also the new prison here, much more room for many more... guests and its better defended from anyone trying to... hurt our special friends. Also a secondary stockpile because things were starting to get waaaay to cramped in the main one.

This isn't much, but ya know. We've had two casualties, Prairie and Ben, both killed whilst engaging in battle with mechanoids. Though they died they fought bravely and were given the, newly, customary wall assaulting salute (the wooden wall is aimed at and all my colonists fire at it) after a eulogy from the colony leader, Kees. This was also my first attempt at what can be described as a kill box. In general I try not to do them for various reasons. But yea, it works pretty well, except there are so many natives they tend to just sort of wash over the defenses like a wave. Although they usually end up killing themselves by blowing up a turret while they stand next to it. Which is helpful.

Nasikabatrachus

Lately, I've been constructing almost all of my colonies mostly or completely outdoors (at least, not sealed inside of a mountain). Mountains are mostly useful for a few small areas of thick rock roof which shield valuable items like body parts from mortar strikes. Otherwise, I just mine them.

My most recent one, which got a crashed ship part right on the edge of town:

http://puu.sh/cic5H/5ddb18b97e.png

I honestly couldn't figure out what I wanted to do with the largest building abutting the mountain, so it's just a big box, which is unsatisfying.

A colony from a test build of the current release:

http://puu.sh/cicaD/c40989a13a.png
http://puu.sh/ciclH/4c0e01d345.png

See the turret in the little chamber off to the west? It's perfect for severely weakening tribal raids; they all crowd around it, and kaboom! I like building colonies as single structures with hallways, etc..

Here's my favorite colony so far. I like it the most because I eventually managed to make it into a big square building. It's centered around a rock formation, yes, but that's only half of the eventual total area.

http://puu.sh/cicrH/11c698c11b.png
http://puu.sh/cicJu/7e4d007d1e.png

Most of these colonies are fairly successful. In contrast, the last time I tried to dig a colony into a mountain, it was somewhat ironically prone to massive fire damage:

http://puu.sh/cicQe/b20018c79f.png

I never quite figured out how to defend that one properly, because I moved on too soon.

Levin

Quote from: Shinzy on October 17, 2014, 11:54:25 AM
You're an optimist and can hold a gun so I'm sure you'll be up to worthy deeds yet!

This description pretty much fits me in real life as well :)