[A14]Modlist <BigHoHo's works> (1.0) More mods to come. last up dated(8\9\16)

Started by BigHoHo, August 08, 2016, 04:46:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H8ff0000

Agree with everyone else, it's not okay to upload your mod this way. There's plenty of legitimate options.

ruzackovich

it is viruses , trojan issu . and its cannot be deleted , i think i must re install  my windows ,  :-[

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

milon

Up-to-date Windows Defender doesn't find any viruses etc in either .zip file.  Windows Defender also doesn't (to my knowledge) look for potential threats - it just looks for known threats.

@OP, why would you use Adfly?  That's a major turn off to most of your potential users.

H8ff0000

Granted I haven't been an active member around here long enough to know how things get handled around here. But am I the only one who's a bit surprised an Admin hasn't dealt with this already. Enough people feel:
a) that it's not downloading properly
b) it's uploaded to a PITA file host for no good reason
c) it could possibly malware according to a recent post (not confirmed) (what I can say for sure is, referring to milon's post, Windows Defender alone is not enough to say for sure if it is or not)
d) this has been handled poorly by the uploader / that the whole thing feels generally shady
e) the uploader isn't listening to feedback from users (clearly they are aware of what user's are saying, as they have been active in this thread / recently edited their original post)

Elysium

Quote from: H8ff0000 on August 15, 2016, 09:23:00 PM
c) it could possibly malware according to a recent post (not confirmed) (what I can say for sure is, referring to milon's post, Windows Defender alone is not enough to say for sure if it is or not)
I've downloaded the all the files available and they definitely do not contain viruses, this is the second time I've heard this false accusation in the couple weeks I've visited this forum.  The mods only contain xml files which can be opened with any text editor and anyone can plainly see, technically literate or not, that they are simple def edits.  I highly doubt a virus in xml form even exists, it sounds ridiculous.  Also, if anyone is relying on windows defender to detect malware, they probably have far greater issues than malicious mods.

That being said, I have played games in the past where mod authors prefrered to use adfly as it was a way for them to make a few cents for their efforts, but that type of thing doesn't seem very common here.  I didn't mind supporting an author of a mod I liked to use by viewing an add for 10 seconds, but if it is frowned upon on this forum then it probably isn't the best idea to use adfly. 

In any case, if you are interested in this mod which I can assure you is not malicious.  To download it simply disable adblocker from working on adfly and you should have no issues, or wait for the author to change the download link.

Jeric5

Super Stacks is incompatible with Quantum storage mod after re-loading a quicksave. The some parts of walls, production tables, items disappear.

H8ff0000

Quote from: Elysium on August 15, 2016, 10:18:24 PM
Quote from: H8ff0000 on August 15, 2016, 09:23:00 PM
I've downloaded the all the files available and they definitely do not contain viruses, this is the second time I've heard this false accusation in the couple weeks I've visited this forum.  The mods only contain xml files which can be opened with any text editor and anyone can plainly see, technically literate or not, that they are simple def edits.  I highly doubt a virus in xml form even exists, it sounds ridiculous.  Also, if anyone is relying on windows defender to detect malware, they probably have far greater issues than malicious mods.

That being said, I have played games in the past where mod authors prefrered to use adfly as it was a way for them to make a few cents for their efforts, but that type of thing doesn't seem very common here.  I didn't mind supporting an author of a mod I liked to use by viewing an add for 10 seconds, but if it is frowned upon on this forum then it probably isn't the best idea to use adfly. 

In any case, if you are interested in this mod which I can assure you is not malicious.  To download it simply disable adblocker from working on adfly and you should have no issues, or wait for the author to change the download link.
I wasn't trying to make that accusation on my behalf, merely restating what was said just before me. So let's keep that as just the 1 person who said that. I, like some others, wasn't able to successfully download this mod, so I can't speak for the file. But one thing to keep in mind, a trojan can in fact be hidden inside an XML file, just a head's up. Also, if the file being downloaded comes inside of an archive, well that's a super-easy way of spreading malware. User opens archive and they are instantly infected. However I take others words for it that this isn't the case here.

And I'm okay with someone making a little scratch here and there for their work. But it really isn't fair to the users who are taking those extra steps, which in turn provides the author that revenue, but then are unable to receive the file.

CannibarRechter

> I've downloaded the all the files available and they definitely do not contain viruses,

Whether or not that's true, the hosting site is definitely super sketchy. It had one of those bait-and-switch download links, where they attempt to get you to download other software. This is always malware, while often it's the type of stuff that attempts to reset your search engine, modify your registry, and send you to websites you don't want to go to, that stuff is really annoying, and sometimes hard to get rid of.  I don't know why we are discussing this further. That hosting site is bad.

STOP.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Exende

Thing is, the files are hosted on dropbox, which is fine, its that OP insists to use the sketchy site to get that ad revenue