Trying to get an idea: Where did you come from as a player?

Started by Ramsis, November 08, 2014, 05:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(Everyone reading this post should vote!) How did you make it to the RimWorld community?

I was brought in through interest in the initial Kickstarter page.
10 (16.9%)
I'm a Reddit user who stumbled on RimWorld through another Subreddit. (/r/IndieGaming, /r/ShouldIBuy, /r/BaseBuildingGames, etc)
3 (5.1%)
I'm an old Dwarf Fortress player who wanted to see what else was out there.
10 (16.9%)
A friend told me about the game.
4 (6.8%)
I saw an article for the game and decided to look into it!
7 (11.9%)
Honestly I don't remember anymore!
4 (6.8%)
I'm a colony game lover and picked RimWorld up almost immediately after finding out it existed.
21 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Ramsis

Everyone please vote!

This poll is more to get a general idea of where everyone is from in terms of how our community is molded. Does it really impact anything? No, not really though it might explain some tendencies in playstyles if some of the poll options get picked over other poll options.

Also hey, for some conversation fun tell us how you like the game/community/etc so far and your favorite part about it!

I personally enjoy how crazy the modding side of it is and how awesome Tynan has been in actually being a Dev that seems to give a crap about the players of his game. Like most of you playing Indie games I've been burnt out from bad devs, lack of interest from admins/mods, stolen money, etc.. But Tynan seems to honestly be the great turn around in terms of having some humanity left!
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

skullywag

Can I not choose "hunted around on the internet for a game like this for years".

Things I like:
The banter with other forum members
Tynans engagement with us
Modding my arse off!
Shinzy (he has a thingdef so is a thing)

:D
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Ramsis

Quote from: skullywag on November 08, 2014, 05:53:09 AM
Can I not choose "hunted around on the internet for a game like this for years".

Things I like:
The banter with other forum members
Tynans engagement with us
Modding my arse off!
Shinzy (he has a thingdef so is a thing)

:D

Fixed it for you Skully.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Shinzy

Tynan? humanity? what?

;D The dev and the community is just the grapest it's big reason why I float around the forums

but the game I actually saw from youtube and saw instantly that this is just my type of game (I really love games where you get to manage/build something that feels 'alive' DK2 probably the best example =P)

And you're missing that option from your poll there! *poke*
and just how easily moddable the game is!

I'm not straight up into modding as much as making something of my own =P
I used to do lots and lots of campaigns/maps/stuff&things for WCIII, HoMM4 (I know lot of people don't like that as a game but it had hands down the best editor =P) NWN (God bless Lilac Soul's script gen)

and it's still really addictive to play (rimworld that is, duh!)
it's really the combat aspect of it. It's made really well (although in very simple way) That's one thing that DK was lacking in =P (though I can't say it wasn't fun to swarm in the enemy dungeon while controlling some of the higher level units with wider skill range Oooo!)

Edit: Skully you just haven't located my pawnkind and faction defs yet!

Railgun Convention

Seconding the Youtube option. Scott Manley introduced me to this game, and arguably DFlikes in general.

Halinder

Introduced to the game's existence by Sips, who played awfully. After seeing YippieKiYayMrFalcon play it with actual skill, I got a good idea as to how the game worked and picked it up. Actually, a lot of games I play now are thanks to him..

Shinzy

Quote from: Halinder on November 08, 2014, 01:43:01 PM
Introduced to the game's existence by Sips, who played awfully. After seeing YippieKiYayMrFalcon play it with actual skill, I got a good idea as to how the game worked and picked it up. Actually, a lot of games I play now are thanks to him..

But Ben's Simple meals brand, Tacos the vampire, Hotaru, the love triangle and the tragic end!
Youuuu couldn't play much better than that =P

Darkfirephoenix

I was lured in by Quill18 and Revocane. Yes I know they are like day and night! :P ;D

Mystic

Quote from: Railgun Convention on November 08, 2014, 08:12:00 AM
Seconding the Youtube option. Scott Manley introduced me to this game, and arguably DFlikes in general.

You can make that three of us.  Manley's video was the first time I'd heard of RimWorld, or any game along these lines for that matter.

christhekiller

Yeah I first saw this on Youtube. Watched it for a bit then said "f**k it" and went and bought it

ToXeye

I thought it might be a fun game, as I watched the intro video. I often play dwarf fortress, trying to squeeze some fun out of it doing something weird. It's not easy doing that though. And I should really stop doing that. And I should stop playing A7 until A8 comes out. I can play other games during that time. The first experience I got was that it had some nice dwarf-fortressy mechanics, and that it was well designed. Then when I came to the point where the game was no longer fun to play, I felt that I needed mods. None of the mods added to the gameplay in any way. Most of them are focused on giving the player a late-game bonus, while there is still no way to beat the late-game psychic drone which kills all the colonists. I felt the game was fun for a while, but now I just want to wait.

*edited* I found out about it on the bay12games forums
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

DeltaV

Found it on Kickstarter on a lucky day. I'd played Dwarf Fortress before and the game appealed to me greatly, so I backed it a bit before the pre-alpha IIRC.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

BetaSpectre

Neither of the choices:
A relative who was a fan of Dwarf Fort showed me the game physically, but I've been interested in the game since seeing it from an article. I played Rimworld after I started Starbound. And starbound was after FTL Faster than Light.
I'm an old Dwarf Fortress player who wanted to see what else was out there.
I've known about Rimworld for a while, but didn't get it until I got to actually got to play it
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO

minami26

After towns, then gnomoria after dev build 0.254 of rimworld i came back on alpha3f then ttm was born woot.. :3

Picked colony game lover.

ShadowTani

Found it by watching some of the let's plays Blitz do for Rimworld on youtube. However, I might have ended up discovering it anyway at some point as I do once-per-year scans for DF-like games.