We can release prisoners now.... Yay?

Started by Ramsis, November 18, 2014, 02:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramsis

I guess I'm a bit confused on why we'd be able to release them or better yet how the system would work. Are we like... "Okay Mr.Pirate! We know you slaughtered 20 of our colonists but you have a capture rate of 99 so we're just not going to waste any more food on you!" then you let him out and.... he attacks the first thing outside the doorway?

I don't know honestly as new features don't always get explanations but I'm a bit baffled. Also better yet is there some type of reward for this? Are we able to capture pirates and then slowly trickle them back to their clan so we get favor or are we going to just let some random mass-murderer get away?

I'm figuring this is the more ethical way of getting rid of prisoners. You aren't killing them or mass harvesting them, and you aren't selling them which upsets your group. Maybe when you release them they become temporarily neutral and just walk off the map?

Any input at this point would be wonderful.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Rask

They most likely "flee in panic" away from the map.

I don't think this would (or should) make raiders any more happy as they are very psychopathic people in the first place.

Sounds like it was added for flavor.

Goo Poni

Maybe you can trade them with the other colonies for favour and resources. Maybe you can let them go back to the raiders for favour and resources. Maybe you just wanna let them go because frankly, the 99 recruitment difficulty is just making for a useless mouth to feed and you don't wanna chop them up or sell them.

Shinzy

Quote from: Ramsis on November 18, 2014, 02:31:54 PM
I'm figuring this is the more ethical way of getting rid of prisoners. You aren't killing them or mass harvesting them, and you aren't selling them which upsets your group. Maybe when you release them they become temporarily neutral and just walk off the map?

well.. I..

(You can hunt them after you 'let them go' can't you?)

REMworlder

I imagine it's adding a different option for euthanasia, since that will have a penalty in the next patch (and execution too, I imagine). Starving a prisoner to death might also have a similar penalty.

Alternatively, this could be Tynan putting foundation in place for the future/distant relations module

DeltaV

Because occasionally you might want to go "Most Dangerous Game" on some irritating prisoners. Is that too much to ask?
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

StorymasterQ

I expected to see some (Captain!) Jack Sparrow pics in there somewhere, but oh well :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

christhekiller

Quote from: Shinzy on November 18, 2014, 04:21:44 PM
Quote from: Ramsis on November 18, 2014, 02:31:54 PM

well.. I..

[various images]

(You can hunt them after you 'let them go' can't you?)

Funny you should mention that. Because that is the VERY FIRST idea I had

Coenmcj

Or you can even "Let them go" in a locked room and watch their descent into madness!

Let's see just how far this rabbit hole goes.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Darkfirephoenix

Quote from: Coenmcj on November 19, 2014, 04:17:19 AM
Or you can even "Let them go" in a locked room and watch their descent into madness!

Let's see just how far this rabbit hole goes.
Let them go, lock them in a room, they go insane, you "rescue" them and repeat! :D

Japzzi

Why release them when we can eat them? nom nom human meat C:

iame6162013

Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

JimmyAgnt007

You know how two factions are always enemies?  what if you captured enough people, released them all at once so that suddenly the faction isnt hostile anymore.  Suddenly there are no more raids!

Shinzy

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on November 19, 2014, 01:50:05 PM
You know how two factions are always enemies?  what if you captured enough people, released them all at once so that suddenly the faction isnt hostile anymore.  Suddenly there are no more raids!

for the short while someone comes for a visit, trips over onto something accidentally pulls the trigger, someone gets shot, they retaliate, something blows up -> your fault

UrbanBourbon

Because current options are:
- Recruit the prisoner. Problem: You might not want to recruit the prisoner after all, or recruitment could be challenging.
- Sell the prisoner. Problem: Selling a prisoner yields negative thoughts to everyone. Also, it might take a while before you get a slave trader.
- Execute the prisoner (one way or another). Problem: Not everyone's playstyle. Also, prisoner death might yield negative thoughts, either now or in the future.
- Keep the prisoner indefinitely. Problem: Another mouth to feed. Other potential distractions along the way.

Speculation:
- You could, for example, capture a member of a rival/partner colony, harvest a kidney and let the guy go. That would yield smaller diplomatic penalty than just killing the guy.
- You might even be able to mistreat tribals as much as you want as long as the patient is under anesthesia, but you couldn't pull that off with someone from a developed faction due to medical check-ups performed upon his return.
- Even more likely than any of the previous, the player will be enabled to rescue neutrals and friendlies from the field, patch them up, and let them go in exchange for some goodwill with the faction. Or other rewards.
- Capture-and-release function could be applied to animals as well, for whatever reason. Injury? Disease and prevention of spreading?
- It could mean setup for the interrogation system. Promise to release the prisoner in exchange for info. Incur psychotic rampage if the prisoner is not released quickly.
- You might be able to plant a tracker on an unwitting prisoner, release him and then use him to "lead you to his colony's exact location", possibly to get a target for a missile strike or a raid.

That's it. I'm out of wild speculation for today.