[L|0.0.250] Multidisplay resolution autodetection bug

Started by Black_Fox, November 07, 2013, 09:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black_Fox

Version Found
0.0.250 on Linux x64

Summary
I have a notebook docked, lid closed and an external display connected to it (that is set as the main display). If I run the game, it somehow sums all display resolutions together on autodetect.
The notebook is 1440x900, the external display 1680x1050. The autodetected resolution shown in options is 3120(=1440+1680)x1050. It looks very blurry, I can't tell which resolution is actually displayed (I just doubt the display could really handle 3120x1050).
Only main display shows the main menu, the notebook display shows just my wallpaper - no part of the game.

Steps to Reproduce
1. Start the game, issue is already visible in main menu

Notes
  I'd expect the resolution to be saved (if I click on 1680x1050 button in options, OK, quit and start the game again, the problem reappears).

PC: Lenovo ThinkPad T400 notebook
  CPU: Core 2 Duo T9400
  GPU: integrated GMA 4500MHD
  Driver: xserver-xorg-video-intel (2:2.20.0-0ubuntu0~precise1)

I have installed mono libmono-system4.0-cil (2.10.8.1-1ubuntu2.2) in case it has any effect

EDIT: improved header per guidelines discussion

enystrom8734

Is the game set to full screen? I played around with this setup in a VirtualBox, with the game setup to fullscreen, it would stretch it in awful ways.
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

Black_Fox

enystrom8734

If you set it to windowed instead, should fix the stretching issue. I will post this in the bug tracker.

Black_Fox

Thanks for the information, windowed mode is fine (and window still stays only on the main screen). I should mention that setting resolution to display's native 1680x1050 fixes the issue for fullscreen as well. On the next start the setting reverts, but it can be at least worked around.

enystrom8734

Zebedeu

I have two 1920x1200 monitors, and every time I start the game, I get a weird resolution which makes everything sort of blurred.
I can fix it in the options screen (the max resolution available in the options screen is 1920x1200), but I have to do it at every startup.
The options screen identifies my full screen resolution as 3840x1200, which is technically correct, but that's for both monitors together. I guess this is what's causing the confusion at startup and the weird resolution.

Also, it seems the game always wants to start on the first monitor. The standard behaviour is for applications to open on the monitor where the mouse is.
It's not a big issue since it's easy enough to move the window once the game has started.

This is RW .254 on Linux Debian Unstable / Gnome 3.8.

Zebedeu

To add a related problem here:
I like to play on one monitor and have something else open in the other one (say, a web browser). It's the whole point of having multiple monitors.

However, when moving my mouse from one monitor to the other, say from the right monitor where the game is to the left one, sometimes the last detected mouse position in RimWorld is at the left border of the right screen.
This causes the map to continually scroll to the left, and the only way to stop it is to bring the mouse back to RimWorld and try to move the mouse quicker so that the last position is somewhere where it doesn't activate the scrolling.

It'd be nice if RimWorld would detect that the mouse is no longer over the game window, and disable scrolling.

Wayfaerer

Haven't had either issue described above with my setup. However Rimworld does start for me between both monitors with half the window on each screen.