[MOD] (Alpha 8) IceSheet (Ice Biome, Now with water world!)(1.2a)

Started by iame6162013, December 10, 2014, 02:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

I built an under-mountain tree farm. Even if a solar flare hits, I have wood to start campfires.

Of course I probably won't be able to do that when Fertilizer Pumps get fixed. Beats me how else you're supposed to get wood though - or at least something low-tech which will burn.

Ember

so after many restarts and fails to hunger, damn you randy hitting me with blight or flares when my crops are at 99% growth
but one of my better games i managed to last a year, and then winter came around and it got too cold inside my base for crops to grow. its surprisingly fun trying to survive in the ice sheet

MrWashingToad

World seed: u5zi  top left map in temperature readout - one of the middle squares in that icesheet is a -142F Jan temp, -25F July temp, -83F avg temp spot.
Kickstarter Influencer tier backer. Last Name in Game: Sewell
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdrI_JSqof-Zk1j9-kBKXjQ
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/MrWashingToad
Twitter: @MrWashingToad

Octocaesar

I'm not sure if it was a bug or ice sheets aren't just suitable for a mine. I constructed and deconstructed a mine in my game earlier but my colonists won't use it. I tried playing on a different map just to see if I missed anything but the mine worked well in there with all the mods intact as I played the previous ice sheet map. I wonder what could have happened?

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: Tasher on February 03, 2015, 03:43:10 PM
World seed: u5zi  top left map in temperature readout - one of the middle squares in that icesheet is a -142F Jan temp, -25F July temp, -83F avg temp spot.

That's about as cold as my current playthrough. Temps can plummet is low as -166F. Colonist popsicles if you're not careful!

iame6162013

Quote from: MarvinKosh on February 04, 2015, 05:41:44 AM
Quote from: Tasher on February 03, 2015, 03:43:10 PM

That's about as cold as my current playthrough. Temps can plummet is low as -166F. Colonist popsicles if you're not careful!
I know It's awesome!

Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Hayhorse

Is it possible to make a special Mountain type that is just a path straight to the center of it? Essentially a giant hill covering the entire map (with a little space around the edges for seigers and enemy spawning) and a straight path to the center of it all with things naturally forming around it?

iame6162013

Quote from: Hayhorse on February 04, 2015, 06:12:50 PM
Is it possible to make a special Mountain type that is just a path straight to the center of it? Essentially a giant hill covering the entire map (with a little space around the edges for seigers and enemy spawning) and a straight path to the center of it all with things naturally forming around it?
(I my self have not gone into .dll moding) but there are no map gen hooks in .xml files so I'm not going to do so.
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Crusender

Seed : jf1b
Size :  200x150
at top near middle there is a spot at -100.5 celcius or -149 F

Wastelander

I've been using this mod for a long time and it's awesome... thanks!

iame6162013

electrichobo

Quote from: popster99 on February 20, 2015, 08:58:37 AM
alpha 9?

I don't seem to have any drawbacks running the current mod version in A9. I'm waiting for a couple essentials to be updated so i haven't tested thoroughly, but starting an ice sheet game works fine.

iame6162013

Quote from: electrichobo on February 20, 2015, 11:17:02 AM
Quote from: popster99 on February 20, 2015, 08:58:37 AM
alpha 9?

I don't seem to have any drawbacks running the current mod version in A9. I'm waiting for a couple essentials to be updated so i haven't tested thoroughly, but starting an ice sheet game works fine.
I will try to have an alpha 9 version out soon, but it sounds to work fine

KillerCubePlays

Quote from: xort on December 12, 2014, 06:31:02 PM

That hard part isn't the cold, it's the lack of fertile ground before hydroponics.
Can't grow on ice, so you are stuck looking for gravel, box it in and heat it up.

The lack of animals also puts a cap on the meal quality.

When winter comes, in September and the temp drops to -70C you more or less have to lock the front door and work on your mines still June.

When the power goes due to solar flares you normal lose all your crops. Keeping the temp just below the too hot temp almost keeps your stuff alive.

Do you have any idea how many heaters and power it will take to even reach the edge of the too cold with t-shirts? (not parka)
(yes, i do realize that when u go into caves, there is no way to cool in hot enviroments, but still... who needs coolers in ice-sheets?)