Frozen Wasteland Challenge

Started by ItchyFlea, December 11, 2014, 08:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damien Hart

Quote from: Nasikabatrachus on December 11, 2014, 09:08:01 PM
No campfires

What about only campfires, and no electric heating (including air conditioner exhaust)? That way it'll take more labour, and therefore more time, the most valuable resource of all.

RawCode

Its pretty easy to place some uranium with initial resources and setting cost on heaters and anything else that may require limits.

Also i may suggest some kind of "tokens" - items that cannot be obtained and used to limit building\crafting.

In other case random event that drop 100-500 uranium may ruin fun.
Traders also may ruin fun under some conditions, uranium pretty cheap to buy.

Ink.

Isn't really a need to necessarily mod the game. You're only cheating yourself if you cheat on the rules.

Darth Fool

No building around geothermal vents...makes it way to easy to keep warm early on.

Tynan

Quote from: Ink. on December 12, 2014, 10:52:45 AM
Isn't really a need to necessarily mod the game. You're only cheating yourself if you cheat on the rules.

Well, the game's not a perfect jewel. I welcome mods and experiments, myself. They may well improve the experience.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Ink.

Quote from: Tynan on December 12, 2014, 01:55:33 PM
Quote from: Ink. on December 12, 2014, 10:52:45 AM

Well, the game's not a perfect jewel. I welcome mods and experiments, myself. They may well improve the experience.

I agree, I use mods often. The great thing about mods is that they can make a play-through easier or challenging which adds a lot of replay value. Like I was talking to my mate about the game and one thing we discussed was how you can do simple things with broad subjects and turn them into a large amount of play time. Like this challenge and the desert challenge. Or like the one I'm doing where I only war the tribes and I force only the usage of melee weapons (or ranged weapons that are the bows/pila). With the key to try to use better gear and brute force to overcome the enemy.

However; someone suggested a uranium-for-heaters mod so if no-one ends up making that we may just have to do it the old school way and limit ourselves xD.

---

Although uranium as part of the recipe would add some unique elements to this challenge, for example if your world doesn't have uranium for crap having to potentially use money to invest in it.

Rhadamant

I just won a play through on Randy 180% on a map with no growing season while never donning a parka or tuque. You should definitely incorporate artic and volcanic biomes for more challenge!

keylocke

Quote from: rhadamant on December 12, 2014, 04:22:41 PM
I just won a play through on Randy 180% on a map with no growing season while never donning a parka or tuque. You should definitely incorporate artic and volcanic biomes for more challenge!

you "won"? what do you mean "won"? there is no "winning" in rimworld, there's just "occasional badassery"..  lol. ;)

Rhadamant

Quote from: keylocke on December 12, 2014, 08:16:27 PM

you "won"? what do you mean "won"? there is no "winning" in rimworld, there's just "occasional badassery"..  lol. ;)

Well, made a spaceship and left the planet, that's as close to winning as I can get.

keylocke

Quote from: rhadamant on December 12, 2014, 08:31:37 PM
Quote from: keylocke on December 12, 2014, 08:16:27 PM

Well, made a spaceship and left the planet, that's as close to winning as I can get.

that's more like a "panic button" leading to a "to be continued" cliffhanger ending. but yea, i guess that's as close to "winning" as anyone gets in rimworld..

personally, i think their spaceship will eventually land in another random world and then one day, after hundreds of years, being "awakend up from their cryptopods" only to realize that majority of their friends have been eaten by stowaway megascarabs, while the rest of the incapacitated survivors get promptly captured by a new colony... and the cycle of rimworld "inception" badassery meanders on ad infinitum..  ;D