Uranium crafting/art broken?

Started by karomaas, December 12, 2014, 07:09:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karomaas

Weaponsmithing and sculpting doesn't seem to work with only Uranium selected as permitted ingredient. Is this intended? I tried right-clicking to manually assign a colonist but the popup doesn't work either.

karomaas

well? anyone?

I tested if the skill was an issue but even with max crafting/art the uranium (and gold as well) won't start at all. just plasteel, steel, wood and stone.

digitCruncher

I would hazard a guess that uranium, gold, and silver are all 'special', in that they need much more (~10-30 times more) resources, as each individual uranium/gold/silver is less 'valuable' and 'large' than, for example, steel. I know silver and uranium stack up to 500, but steel does not.

How much uranium do you have?

BassMonroe

I noticed this with gold but i was using debug mode, i'm going to try and replicate this playing legit tonight to see if its a one off bug or permanent.

Damien Hart

It's a small oversight on Tynan's part by the looks of things; "nonstandard volume" materials take 20 times as much material to craft, so a longsword for example takes 2400 silver/gold/uranium, as opposed to the 120 listed in the config menu. This is never explicitly mentioned in-game (it only says "counts may vary"), and the relative scarcity of uranium and gold means that you're unlikely to have enough for most weapons, at least until well into the game.

Unless you already have all of the materials, the workbench won't give the option to begin crafting, so there's no feedback for the player there either.

codyo

Quote from: Damien Hart on December 12, 2014, 09:46:05 AM
It's a small oversight on Tynan's part by the looks of things; "nonstandard volume" materials take 20 times as much material to craft, so a longsword for example takes 2400 silver/gold/uranium, as opposed to the 120 listed in the config menu. This is never explicitly mentioned in-game (it only says "counts may vary"), and the relative scarcity of uranium and gold means that you're unlikely to have enough for most weapons, at least until well into the game.

Unless you already have all of the materials, the workbench won't give the option to begin crafting, so there's no feedback for the player there either.

2400 gold? That's ridiculous with how rare those minerals are.
I hope this gets changed.

Tynan

Yes, for granularity reasons different things are measured in different base volumes. 1 wood is like a cinderblock-sized piece. 1 gold is like a small chunk or a coin (of 20x smaller volume).

What's ridiculous is the idea of making solid gold weapons! Yes it is ridiculous how much gold you need compared to its value; this is likely part of why nobody does this in real life either.

I'll work on the feedback for A9.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

codyo

Wouldn't having to use most of the gold on the map to make one or two statues sort of underwhelming Tynan?
I would like to be able to make gold crafts to trade without using all of the supply.

Tynan

Gold is gold. It is extremely valuable and rare. If you want something you can use en-masse, you could try silver. Same as in real life.

Lost Cause

Aww my brawler loves their solid gold knife :p
At least they did until they were shot to death with a minigun when they tried to stab a centipede.
The fact that I am willing to give them gold weapons and maintain their humanity by not installing mechanical parts just proves ho much I value my brawlers.

Ohh and I call the gold knife the sacrificial dagger.... never said who was being sacrificed.
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

codyo

Doesn't silver require a lot of material as well? Looking at the requirements to make a gold or silver turret, they need the same amount. If you made the requirement to make silver stuff significantly lower than gold, I would be happy with that compromise. Especially if you have to use it as currency too.

I appreciate your fast responses, and how you interact with the community as a developer

Lost Cause

I think what he means is that you will have a lot more silver than you will gold/uranium.
both gold and uranium cost more than silver and are only carried by some traders. silver on the other hand is used as currency and is carried by everyone so you end up with tens of thousands of units of it.
So yes. way easier to get a silver weapon than a gold one despite needing the same number of units.
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

Tynan

Lost Cause has it. Silver is just way more common than gold.

There is such a thing as 'silverware'. People make plates and forks and stuff out of silver. But solid gold? It's almost entirely unknown.

You can theoretically make a sword out of solid gold. It's in the game systems. But it's not really something that's practical. If you do it, it will be something really weird and special.

Also note that gold sharp melee weapons are awful; gold does not hold and edge.

Lost Cause

Gold is more similar to lead than steel. Soft and heavy.
Uranium on the other hand is hard and heavy. A much better weapon... well it can probably hold an edge better, but honestly you're better off making bullets out of it... or a maze. Uranium maces would be awesome! :p
Though it might be brittle... anyone know how flexible uranium is?
These aren't the properties it is known for.

codyo

Quote from: Lost Cause on December 12, 2014, 06:53:25 PM
Gold is more similar to lead than steel. Soft and heavy.
Uranium on the other hand is hard and heavy. A much better weapon... well it can probably hold an edge better, but honestly you're better off making bullets out of it... or a maze. Uranium maces would be awesome! :p
Though it might be brittle... anyone know how flexible uranium is?
These aren't the properties it is known for.

The harder a substance is, the more brittle it becomes. In which case I'm guessing uranium isn't very flexible, but it's malleable, so it can be molded.