Raider Sappers

Started by Halinder, December 14, 2014, 02:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halinder

Raiders with weapons and armor are nice and all, but I feel like after losing so many resources to colonies, raiders would find different ways to try and overcome your defenses. So they set up mortar bases with food piles, but they fired too slowly, hit too unreliably, and eventually came apart leading in mass retreats. They set fire to the colony, and while it did damage, they were repelled anyway and the colony expended minimal resources fixing the breach. Sure, they hear from their pirate friends that another colony eventually snapped, but those were tales of luck.

Now, their overlords can choose to keep sending waves of dead men walking, but it's becoming far too costly. Seeing turrets used to rip apart pointmen or even annihilate the whole party, something needed to be done.

And so sappers come in. Sappers are raiders that are more uncommon than their weapon-toting friends. They carry a box that can be attached to power conduits (either on the ground, in the walls, or part of structures) to begin sucking power out of the grid, forcefully shutting down an entire base if unattended. This would essentially cause any power net connected to it to need -1 power, not a major deficit but enough to kill power to a base without batteries and cause problems in the long run. Thoughts?

Wex

I grabbed the mod of the suicide bomb just for this motive.
It is logical. And it's not such an inventive tecnique, ancient romans used to dig underground, to light fires beneath the walls, if they needed to.
It feels weird that it's not already happening in vanilla.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Dive

I'd just isolate the attacked part of my power grid by removing a couple of cable tiles here and there.
I appreciate adding more variety to the siege mechanics, though.

Halinder

That's the thing though, Dive. During an attack you want to keep everything at full integrity. If a sapper plants the device on one of your conduit walls, you have to remove that wall which will let raiders inside different areas. Alternatively, you may have to cut off sections of your base and, in the end, it will at least have diverted one of your colonists from shooting at raiders. It's just another way to make attacks more dynamic, really.

I don't suppose any modders could do this?