Walls mountains and insulation

Started by oatbag, December 15, 2014, 02:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milon

One way to equalize base temperature without mods is to designate a critical-priority dump/stock pile on the door, then forbid the item that gets dropped there.  You've now got doors propped open and better heat circulation.  The rooms will never be the same temp, but they'll be much better. And colonists don't mind their bedroom doors being wide open either.  Just be aware that rock chunks and metal slag will slow down your colonists.

wileama

Thanks guys I do appreciate the tips. As much as anything else I was just checking to make sure I wasn't crazy. I mean I get that it would probably be hard math for the game to figure out insulation, and stuff. Still for some reason it just makes me want to pull my hair out when I see the temperature doing what ever the hell it wants. So I'm just glad I didn't lose my marbles. I don't have many left to spare at this point! I think I'm just going to get more resource intensive to control the temp. I'm playing in base builder so I can afford to, and I find it more atheistically pleasing.

DeltaV

From what I understand, walls completely block air conditioning or heating from escaping, but doors let some out. You can use multiple doors in an airlock-type fashion to avoid it.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

UrbanBourbon

Quote from: ZestyLemons on December 17, 2014, 06:13:50 AM
That's not the hard part I think, the hard part would be knowing how the thickness of a wall should affect heat loss.

How does a room know how thick its walls are?
What if the walls aren't uniform (one is thicker than the other)?
What if the room's walls are made out of multiple materials?

Stuff like that seems tricky to tackle.
A room doesn't have to know anything. Instead each tile has to know at what rate it's supposed to give up heat and absorb heat. Each tile has 4 neighbors,  or 8 if the diagonally adjacent tiles count, plus the roof "tile". It's quite simple but the calculations for the entire map (=all of the tiles) could turn out CPU-intensive. I wouldn't know. Dwarf Fortress chokes easily under the water flow simulation but then again DF is a single-core game, and does not support multiple CPU cores.

milon

Quote from: DeltaV on December 28, 2014, 11:28:34 AM
From what I understand, walls completely block air conditioning or heating from escaping, but doors let some out. You can use multiple doors in an airlock-type fashion to avoid it.

You can't avoid it entirely.  Doors do leak, no matter how many you have chained up.  Also, roofs leak.  Constructed, thin rock, thick rock, and overhead mountain all leak according to the outdoor temperature.  Also, No Roof = Outside as far as temperature is concerned.

Finally, if you're propping a door open, Apparel (I use Pants because it's funny) doesn't slow your colonists down.  :D