[Mod Request] - Fallout Universe

Started by alman556, December 18, 2014, 05:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alman556

I was thinking that a mod centered around the Fallout Universe created by Interplay and Bethesda would work rather well with the game mechanics of Rimworld.

Instead of having only three refuges land on a planet to either start a colony or build a ship and leave, why not awake from Cryo-sleep years after a nuclear war to rebuild civilization with a random or set number of people and resources from your vault?

Imagine if you wanted an Easy start so you have a "Control" vault that has everything that it needs to rebuild properly. For instance you have good weapons, good facilities,plenty of resources to start with and skilled people that get along rather well and you just need to expand and build something like Vault City from Fallout 2.

If you wanted a more difficult start you would be given a vault that was set as a social experiment.
For instance your vault starts off with a bunch of people who don't like each other, or your only weapons are rocket launchers or all of your occupants are pacifists etc.

Items like Power Armor, energy weapons,mini guns and turrets are already in the game but I don't think jumpsuits have been added.

The Tribals, raiders,settler and evil robot factions are already there, its just that there aren't any super mutants or ghouls in the game.

One thing that I think would be a bit difficult to implement would be radiation mechanics into the game. How would one add irradiated zones into the game? How could you have a colonist take chems like rad-X or Rad-away to treat radiation sickness? How would one code for water to be irradiated and unsafe to use for plants or drinking?

I feel that there is a lot of potential for this idea, but I don't have the technological expertise or the time to put it into practice so I'm just going to hope for someone smarter  than I to pick this up.

Orion

I really like the idea and was already thinking about it.

Although generating a vault to start from is probably difficult. So I'd start with just bringing fallout lore / mechanics into the mod first.

Super mutants and ghouls are no problem code wise, just work for a gfx artist.

About radiation, I'd go with the simple rule that everything is radiated by default (although maybe at some point radiation could work the same as temperature - it spreads into your vault through open doors, and there is a "radiation climate" - the amount of radiation in the air can change per season (radiation storm anyone?). So you could build "radiation cleaners" just like heaters, that remove radiation from the air. Just like freezing, people can suffer from too much radiation when they're outside or wear protective gear against it.

I have to check how feasible it is to mod temperature into something else, though (or better, have a second type of temperature).

Chems should work fairly well that way too (they warm a person up).

With water and food, maybe it's possible to give them a "radiated" property (similar to how cannibalism or rotten food works), that gives people a negative mood when consumed (or a chance for taking damage, if possible).

I'm a programmer myself (albeit fairly busy) and I wouldn't mind helping a bit here and there, although I can't handle the artwork that would be required.

I guess a first todo list would look like this:

• Radiation: check if temperature is moddable
  • Radiation: check if plants / meat can be tagged as radiated
  • Monsters: Create artwork for super mutant body type
  • Monsters: Create artwork for ghoul body type
  • Gear: Create artwork for jumpsuits
  • Spawning: Check if players can spawn from / with cryo pods
  • Water: Check if water can be made harvestable

Orion

Okay. My first glance at the code says that modding the temperature system won't be possible with a reasonable amount of effort, since it's deeply embedded in the game code.

But that just means the simulation of radiation won't be precise. Alternative approach:

Radiation works similar to the psychic drone, but only affects pawns that are not in an enclosed room (this can easily be checked). If under the effect, there will be random chance to "catch" radiation (working like a disease). Being outside will make the disease worse, while being treated by chems (or medkits for a start) will make it less. Once strong enough, the radiation disease will damage or destroy body parts or act globally.

Also consuming food tagged as radiated will give a chance to catch radiation. There could be traits like "radiation resistent / immune / sensitive" that affect how easily a person catches it. Possibly gear could be tagged to prevent catching it or lowering the chance (breathers, hazmats, etc.).

For highly radiated areas, a new object type could be created that represents heavy radiation and works similar to fire. It would barely move but run a script that checks for close by pawns to infect them with radiation. So it could even attach to pawns who then spread it around.

Berengar

Hrm.. things i would at to where.
1: New Biome: Wasteland.. No apocalipse without!
2: fitting clothes and armors. Hrm.. like the powerarmor and the raider helmets.
3: Animals, THAT can attack the colonyst.

Orion

Good contribution! I like all of these.

- Wasteland biome: this is simple changing of the biome defs, no problem.
- Clothes and armor: this is art stuff. If there is a willing artist who wants to contribute, this would be his job.
- Attacking animals: currently animals only support getting mad. But overriding their script could let them go mad only when a person is nearby. Maybe there could even be roaming robots then, that only start attacking if closeby. This one's a programmer's job.

I've been looking more closely into how to simulate radiation. What seems like an interesting approach is to hijack the "Filth" objects. Right now, mud and ground makes people drag dirt into their homes. In a fallout world that'd be radioactive dirt, increasing a person's radiation level unless protective gear is worn. So it becomes more important to keep your home clean.
I'd add radioactive dust that is spawned by rock.
Getting radiation into food seems quite intrusive (programming-wise) - it would probably conflict with any other mod doing stuff with food. But still seems worth doing. I'd like to see a "food purifier" that you can run all your edibles through to remove radiation.

I was thinking radiation would have multiple effects. At low rates pawns get radiation sickness with just lowers their stats here and there. At medium rates it would threaten their health. At high rates, it would affect limbs and organs in a new way: mutation. This lowers the effectiveness (like other wounds), up to the point of complete ghoulification, should the person actually survive the process.

Since radiation seems like the most programming intense part, but also useful for other mods / universes, I'm going to look into (only) creating that for now (no promises, I'm new at modding rimworld).

I encourage any other interested people to pick up the various other parts of creating fallout content.

Dragoon

Quote from: Berengar on December 28, 2014, 06:07:51 PM
3: Animals, THAT can attack the colonyst.

You sir have never gone melee with the turtles or the mega scarab form alpha 7! ( Idk how strong they are now i never touch without a gun!)
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Orion

The turtles are still pretty badass.

I'm sure what he means is that they attack you on sight and not just when turning crazy.

Orion

It took much longer than expected to get some stuff to spawn on the map. I find it still fairly hacky how I solved it now, but at least it works for the moment.

Radiation
Done:
- randomly placed barrels on the map
- barrels can be destroyed
- barrels leak radiated dust and slime
To do:
- restrict barrel placement to caves / structures
- mining uranium spawns radiated dust
- mark uranium, animal meat and harvested food as radiated
- let radiated objects increase a pawn's radiation level if within range
- create radiation disease with negative / deadly effects
- create protective gear that limits increase of radiation level

[attachment deleted due to age]

Evul

Fitts the rimworld world this is cool!
Is this a project or is it a idé that is starting to be a project. Cause requests do belong to one forum back :P

Berengar

To the ghouls and supermutants...
Think you will have to do mutch DLL moding for that. WHEN you want them be prisoned. Ok not for the ghuls.. i think there is a good way over the hair.. will test later. :) But for the supermutants.

Orion

Let's say it's a new mod in progress now ;)

At least I'll make sure the radiation thing becomes a mod (so others can use it for their ideas as well). I could make a new topic for it, if you want to move this. For now I wouldn't know who's actually working on any other Fallout features.

Orion

Alright. I've created a new thread for the work in progress, so this one can be moved to the mod request section.

Kerlejt

and if the mod EA shelter? ... as a door to the outside and a base underground? ... (I know, considering that no graphic engine that is stupid)