Wiped out by boomrats

Started by Goldberger, November 08, 2013, 01:04:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldberger

Ok i was playing with phoebe friendly testing out things how to build etc for harder games.. well everything was going very good, had massive defenses and everyone had very good weapons, m-24 etc.. I had 13 colonists and well then was a message that boomrats gone crazy and are attacking.. i lost all my guys and i could have not won those in any way.. If the turrets would worked boomrats would been dead very fast.

Anyway it did not matter that the game ended, was playing that same game so long time but if i would been attacked by same ammount of raiders i would have killed them because of my massive defense turrets, had way too many of them :D

Must say i been loving playing this game a lot, really awesome work :D One other problem i noticed was that i was running out of power with the ammount of turrets, and electricity draining stuff i had that 3 geothermals and about 20 solar panels was barely keeping up with it.. had like 30 batteries and they were almost empty when the morning came.. never filled them up... maybe in future there will be possibilities to get more power ;)

Well this is alpha but it almost feels like final product missing some finer adjustment :D

Seppukun

I'm also really enjoying the game and that is part of the strategy -- turret placement and limited power supply. So we really have to consider if we want 500 lights and what will be the best coverage for a select number of turrets. Also during the night while all the colonists are sleeping you can toggle the power for things which no one is using: lights, comms console, even the nutrient dispenser AND turrets. In fact, you can keep turrets off all the time, just turn them back on when raiders show up.

One way to avoid (or lessen the chance of) being wiped out by boomrats is to kill them off early, spread things out in your base to make firefighting easier, and equip all your colonists with weapons so you can switch them to soldier mode in a moment's notice and cut down the insane rats when they attack.

Goldberger

Well it could been squirrels too, can't remember anylonger. Anyway i've built different things now and so far i've managed with less solar panels quite easily.. I just overdid a lot of stuff in that game :) One thing i learned that a boomrat can be very devastating if it is killed near a battery room that got around 100 batteries inside, its just a nice chain reaction and no use to send anyone inside to stop the fire :D Could have sold some batteries tough to avoid the explosions but i just wanted to see how they go boom :D

Yeah seems when i was leveling up shooting skill on one guy muffalos stopped to spawn at some point. Need to do more testing that can i really kill all boomrats too.

Wopian

Luckily no boomrat has exploded in my solar farm after 300+ days...

*prepares for boomrat to explode in solar farm when I resume save*

Bobstudios | James Harris Creative Design

ShadowDragon8685

Quote from: Wopian on November 11, 2013, 03:46:46 PMLuckily no boomrat has exploded in my solar farm after 300+ days...

Remember, you can stop the spread of fire by selling adjacent objects. As long as they were built on something that won't support the spread of fire, anyway.
Raiders must die!

Galileus

Another thing that needs to be forbidden :P

Wopian

Quote from: ShadowDragon8685 on November 11, 2013, 04:10:38 PM
Quote from: Wopian on November 11, 2013, 03:46:46 PMLuckily no boomrat has exploded in my solar farm after 300+ days...

Remember, you can stop the spread of fire by selling adjacent objects. As long as they were built on something that won't support the spread of fire, anyway.

Ooh I thought solar panels exploded like turrets. Guess I was wrong...

Bobstudios | James Harris Creative Design

mumblemumble

Boomrats are actually cake if you use a door to build them up into a mass, let the door break then firing squad them as they come through. The explosion of them dying kills any others, so at most you need 1 or 2 boom-rat kills. Biggest threat is the fire in the aftermath, but that isn't too difficult to take care of.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.