How often do you put organs in your colonists?

Started by REMworlder, December 27, 2014, 08:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How often do you put organs (lungs, kidneys, hearts, livers) IN your colonists?

Almost never
19 (35.2%)
Rarely
19 (35.2%)
Many times
12 (22.2%)
All day erry day
4 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 54

REMworlder

I'm curious, after hoarding organs across several playthroughs and never using them (aside from maybe selling some to traders). My colonists never seem to get damaged or diseased organs that require transplants. Am I just lucky?

With mood penalties and the expense of non-herbal medicine I've started straying from organ harvesting completely.

Damien Hart

I haven't had the occasion to use one yet. I've found that the vital organs are more likely to be fatally injured than survive, but with permanent damage requiring a transplant.

nuschler22

putsam

usually my one man army snipers that take care of sieges lose a kidney or lung from one lucky sniper shot thus they get one from prisoners

wooaa

I think I have done 1 heart and 2 kidney transplants. So far I usually don't keep a lot of extra organs around, although  if someone is brain damaged and more or less useless I take out one kidney, lung, and then their heart before sending them to the butcher table for further "recycling".

Looking over that I think I may have issues. Might be habits from dwarf fortress.

litlbear

Felt the same way as you up until this colony.  Had to install a left lung twice into the same person.  It really fucks with them, not having one.
yes

Renham

one lung and a kidney, then had to transplant another kidney into the same person... he was one unlucky bastard, got his legs shot off afterwards he was like the fucking pin cushion of the colony the guy by day 40 was 90% steel 10% man
if you can imagine it I can build it with pixels.
if I cant well then imagine something else.

killerx243

Quote from: Renham on December 28, 2014, 12:47:40 AM
one lung and a kidney, then had to transplant another kidney into the same person... he was one unlucky bastard, got his legs shot off afterwards he was like the fucking pin cushion of the colony the guy by day 40 was 90% steel 10% man

Coming soon to a colony near you! Robocolonist! Once just a normal man of the colony guard. After a few near fatal run ins with everything from pirates to muffalo; he is back to get revenge on anyone that would threaten the way of colony life as we know it.

But anyway I always have a few organs on hand for emergencies but most replacing I do is from colonists that I get with missing organs or previous raiders that were injured in battle or organs that needed to be amputated because of a crazy infection. How would a heart transplant work? wouldn't your colonist die the moment the heart is damaged to the point of needing replacement?

Drahkon

Heart/liver infections I schedule the transplant as soon as the infection escalates. no waiting list. I always keep a couple of each on hand.
edit: oh, and fairly rare to be needed, maybe twice on average for longer games. Too often it's instant death with injuries that would require the transplant.

Geertje123

currently in a game with a playtime of around 9 years, still haven't had any damages to any organs from any colonist (20)

christhekiller

I've done a couple transplants, if a colonists internal bits are damaged I strive to fix them.

Also, I onced used Hearts as sacrifices to the colonists gods. But that was more for roleplay purposes than for gameplay purposes.

REMworlder

For those of you who've had organ damage that necessitates transplants, do you remember whether or not armor was in play? I'm enjoying reading the responses.

xlockeed

I find psycho animals do more damage to colonists then raiders. This only happens if it occurs to animals right on top of your people.

Eyes (normal age debuffs), legs (broken or blown off, toe injuries are so nice), arms (broken or blown off), hands (bitten or blown off, don't you just love the finger injuries?), Bites / blown off minor parts. I've never had anything beyond any of these as I'm usually on top of healing my people right as I see them take bad damage. I usually do devil shirt / hyper pants and just body armor oh and a cowboy hat (jungle zones, high temp mainly). I send one sniper or a r4 / mini gun expert to harass the raiders / sieges using wall cover as any other cover means certain death or injury. If I'm unable to use good cover tactics I just use my six colony mortars to attack until the raiders start assault aka go to my killing floor.

Threats scale from highest to lowest.
Psycho animals, usually the event that turns all of one kind ape sh!t.
Mortar raids, yeah they only have two mortar but manage to do damage if not attacked.
Sniper raiders, unskilled lucky bastards shooting your eye out.
Age, father time seems to like eyes and backs. Would suck if there was arthritis and Alzheimer's.       
Each year of thy life is the foundation for the next. The man who squanders his youth needs must build his life on a foundation of mud, and then wilt it collapse.

litlbear

Armor was in play when my guy got his lung shot.
yes

Thorin

Rarely, I think I had do it once with the current colony and it was a kidney (got shot to pieces). Had only cloth clothing.

And I do the same as wooaa, brain damaged colonist are my current organ donors. As harvesting from colonist doesn't give a penalty until they die (and then only for the medic).
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"