Hypothermia

Started by Hogzor, December 30, 2014, 02:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogzor

got a nice stable colony about 10 people. and everything was finally going great.

haven't played in a while so a lot of new changes. anyways.

A "Cold-snap" Comes and kills all my plants and veggies.

My colonists suffer from Hypothermia and eventually passes out?

What can i do to prevent this?

Also? The wiki sucks. Doesn't say anything.

And i didn't find any tutorials.

otherwise i love this game. It's very addictive.

iame6162013

Heaters, indoors crops, etc
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Listy

Quote from: Hogzor on December 30, 2014, 02:19:47 PM
got a nice stable colony about 10 people. and everything was finally going great.

haven't played in a while so a lot of new changes. anyways.

A "Cold-snap" Comes and kills all my plants and veggies.

My colonists suffer from Hypothermia and eventually passes out?

What can i do to prevent this?

Also? The wiki sucks. Doesn't say anything.

And i didn't find any tutorials.

otherwise i love this game. It's very addictive.

Jackets help a bit, but the real answer is parka's.

Pathing

Parka helps a ton.
In 1 sunlight garden room, about 0 to -30 = 1 heater, about -30 to -50 = 2 heaters, about -50 to -70 = 3 heaters, about -60 to -80 = 4 heaters, about -80 to -100 = 5 heaters
and maybe more heaters if there is a cold snap which makes temperature go down to -120.

However the key of all is to have filter rooms, the rooms which are connected to outside using door.
Put some heaters there using above suggestion so other inside rooms will use less heater.
Also, steam geyser will generate about 10-30 C for inside rooms that are connected to it using door.
Excessive heater only uses 10 W so don't worry too much when you are going to spam heaters.

The next problem you will face is someone will think that it is too hot  :-[
Steel is food. Steel is defense. Steel is weapon.
Steel is RimWorld.

milon

Parka, Tuque, Tribal Wear.  These can all be worn together and help keep your colonists warm.  My hot-blooded colonist wearing these three is quite happy at -60'C.  He starts shivering if left out in the cold at -70'C-ish.

Geertje123

Quote from: Hogzor on December 30, 2014, 02:19:47 PMAlso? The wiki sucks. Doesn't say anything.

The wiki is by members, for members. If you want something added, you can add it yourself

Hogzor

Point taken.

Hope there will be tutorials soon.

By someone dedicated and experienced.

Romi

Stay indoors until the cold snap passes,that happened to me too! but i survived greatly.

milon

Quote from: Romi on December 31, 2014, 08:52:02 AM
Stay indoors until the cold snap passes,that happened to me too! but i survived greatly.

Just had this happen.  Started a new colony on an Ice Sheet.  My colonists landed naked.  In an Ice Sheet.  And a couple days later a Cold Snap hit.  >_<

They're surviving just fine so far.  Took advantage of a nearby room.  :)

(Maybe they landed naked because I turned off EdBPrepareCarefully right before starting the colony?)