Persistent online mega map.

Started by Zilch, January 02, 2015, 04:42:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zilch

When you create a new world, you can see other 'colonies', namely the Pirate base and another neutral camp.

I'm suggesting that Ludeon gets itself a big ol' server, and people can play on that. One massive map that you can see many colonies on. Would open up options for things like Asynchronous multiplayer, player driven economies, leaderboards etc.

Players could develop in-game relationships with neighbouring colonies just like they do with the various tribes/outlander/pirates that are already implemented.

This would also open up a treasure trove of various metrics and metadata for Mr. Tynan to use for maximum success.

Just an idea for you to chew on, thanks for RimWorld.
Memento mori  ;)

Coenmcj

While this seems like a good idea, you have to factor in the fact that the money lost hosting said server would have to be rekindled somehow. Through raising the price of rimworld, taking some of the profit out of the existing cash flow or including some less than savoury micro-transactions...

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, I've played Anno 2070, which uses a similiar method and I enjoyed that quite a bit, multiplayer on such a scale that you Describe can be awesome when done correctly. :)
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Oxidus

Big server needs big money.ESO has cool big servers,but Bethesda is rich just because of Skyrim.But in Ludeon Studios are 5 People.And game isnt THAT famous yet to have something like Big Server.
Requiescat in Pace,Mio Fello.

Oxidus

And Tynan alone said that multiplayer will never be or there wont me multiplayer only Co-oP because he doesnt find sense in PvP on this game.
Requiescat in Pace,Mio Fello.

Anduin1357

Quote from: Zilch on January 02, 2015, 04:42:08 AM
When you create a new world, you can see other 'colonies', namely the Pirate base and another neutral camp.

I'm suggesting that Ludeon gets itself a big ol' server, and people can play on that. One massive map that you can see many colonies on. Would open up options for things like Asynchronous multiplayer, player driven economies, leaderboards etc.

Players could develop in-game relationships with neighbouring colonies just like they do with the various tribes/outlander/pirates that are already implemented.

This would also open up a treasure trove of various metrics and metadata for Mr. Tynan to use for maximum success.

Just an idea for you to chew on, thanks for RimWorld.
Memento mori  ;)

I have an idea,
If Tynan won't do it, somewhere down the road, a modder will do it.
Trust me ;)

Peer2Peer connection, Everyone P2P the overworld, if you have to load someone elses save, P2P will get it for you.
There would be 3 modes, co-oop, Async PvP&E and Live PvP&E
Async is where if you are not online, AI will do it for you and live write your save to other ppls' comps with priority to you in case you are off-line and Live is where you and the enemy *HAS* to be online, direct packet w/ proxy and if you combat log, it goes ASync for you.
If you log within 3 secs(normal reaction time) of a guy attacking you, his raid will be called off.
Updates are spread as reads to a file and not complete rewrites of the save.
??? Profit (lots of players can attack/defend one spot)
This game has the advantage that this is the save that is updating, not the actual game, all are rendered off the save, run on the save and depends on the proliferation of saves.
Saves are pretty cheap to spread bandwidth wise, just add .zip or .rar support for Async and profit.
A 2 year game can be compressed from 200 mb+ to just 4.05 mb
The same save can be RARed down to 557 kb.
Madness, I say.
(Who knows what space savings could 7z do...)
It goes like this
Async mode: save.rwm ---> .7z (best) ---> P2P ---> Decompress if called (less than 1s each) | Otherwise just spread compressed file.
Live mode: Async until attack/defend then save.zip --> savelive.rwm ---> write to file what changed in game per second ---> raid/defense over ---> savelive.rwm becomes save.rwm ---> compress and spread.
All participants of raid/defense store each others' saves live.
add event to statistics X raided Y, X/Y won.
Edit: .7zs would be passworded by a public key that changes every day generated by random.org*bit-64 unix time number of GMT to prevent editing. The public key would be stored for a duration of 2 years as a .zip/.7z with CRC checksum.
I don't think storing ~~720 different codes would be an issue.